This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

First Loaf Of Bread

Rachel--24

debmidge Rising Star

We have used the Breadman for over 2 years now (the 2 lb. loaf machine) and it does need some help in mixing the dough up (I use my gluten-free spatula for that). I use gluten-free Panty Favorite White Bread Mix (I think it has dairy in it already). My only problem is that it takes over an hour for it to rise. then I bake at 360 for about 46 minutes and it's good bread.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purpleJennie Newbie
OK, so I'm not Rachel, but I'd like that recipe, if you wouldn't mind posting it :)

Hi Laura..............I'm experimenting with bread recipes also, and I noticed this one that you posted only has 1/2 C potato starch and 1C cornstarch. Is this correct? It seems like alot of cornstarch, but I'm pretty new at this.

Thanks!! :huh:

StrongerToday Enthusiast

When you do make your bread, cut it up right away and freeze it into individual portions! My homemade bread would be stale within a day or so. Yes, warm and tasty right out of the "oven" (I use a breadmachine) but wouldn't keep well.

Babycakes Newbie

I have had wonderful luck with Betty Hagman's "The gluten-free Gourmet Bakes Bread". I make her Basic Featherlite Rice bread and it is heaven. I substitute almond meal for the dairy and sprinkle cornmeal in the pan for a crunchy bottom. It is SO worth investing in this book.

Does anyone else have any suggestions for good cookbooks?

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Well I did it!! I bought a breadmaker tonight. :)

YAY!!! I got the Cuisinart one with the gluten free setting. I hope it works good. I had the hardest time finding one though...I went to 2 different Macy's, Target and Walmart. Noone had any breadmakers at all. I finally went to Williams and Sonoma (a really awesome kitchen store) and they had the breadmaker I wanted. They also had like every kitchenaid mixer in every color....thats gonna be my next investment if the baking thing continues to go well. How will I ever choose a color though? :D

I need some good bread recipes now. If you read my other thread you know that I just found out I'm corn intolerant so I have to do everything w/out corn ingredients. That part shouldnt be too hard.

I've only found Bob's Red Mill flours for baking so thats all I use but they have a high probability of corn cross contamination since its all processed together. I want to try another brand but it has to be corn free. What do you guys use and where can I get other mixes like Bette Hagmans? I really need help with the flours because I'm pretty clueless in that area. I cant wait to make my first loaf....hopefully it wont end up like the one I wrote about when I started this thread.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I always made the Bette Hagman sourdough, you do keep a sourdough starter going and the longer it does it's thing the better the bread gets. Do you have the recipe? If not I can send it. She's got a lot of good ones, you might want to borrow or get one of her cookbooks.

felineaids Rookie
Well I did it!! I bought a breadmaker tonight. :)

YAY!!! I got the Cuisinart one with the gluten free setting. I hope it works good. I had the hardest time finding one though...I went to 2 different Macy's, Target and Walmart. Noone had any breadmakers at all. I finally went to Williams and Sonoma (a really awesome kitchen store) and they had the breadmaker I wanted. They also had like every kitchenaid mixer in every color....thats gonna be my next investment if the baking thing continues to go well. How will I ever choose a color though? :D

I need some good bread recipes now. If you read my other thread you know that I just found out I'm corn intolerant so I have to do everything w/out corn ingredients. That part shouldnt be too hard.

I've only found Bob's Red Mill flours for baking so thats all I use but they have a high probability of corn cross contamination since its all processed together. I want to try another brand but it has to be corn free. What do you guys use and where can I get other mixes like Bette Hagmans? I really need help with the flours because I'm pretty clueless in that area. I cant wait to make my first loaf....hopefully it wont end up like the one I wrote about when I started this thread.

I wish I could help, but I can't use the ingredients you're working with.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I always made the Bette Hagman sourdough, you do keep a sourdough starter going and the longer it does it's thing the better the bread gets. Do you have the recipe? If not I can send it. She's got a lot of good ones, you might want to borrow or get one of her cookbooks.

I have 2 of her books...ok I found the recipe. :D

Thanks.

flagbabyds Collaborator

My mom has a good bread recipe for me. gluten-free/CF/CF/SF (last 2 corn free/soy free)

I can't post it now, I'm on the way to the bay area celiac dietic assoc. meeting and talking there.

I'll post it when I get home

lorka150 Collaborator

hey Rachel,

just so you know, the Bob's stuff that says gluten-free on the package are in a seperate facility from the stuff that isn't. there are, however, gluten-free products made in the non-gluten-free facility (carob, corn...) you just have to keep your eyes open. i learned the hard way.

did i post my bread recipe? (i didn't go back and check)... i have a bunch that worked out. let me know if you need some ideas :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
hey Rachel,

just so you know, the Bob's stuff that says gluten-free on the package are in a seperate facility from the stuff that isn't. there are, however, gluten-free products made in the non-gluten-free facility (carob, corn...) you just have to keep your eyes open. i learned the hard way.

Lorka...I know the gluten-free stuff are processed in a seperate room (I dont think its a seperate facility though...same factory). I just found out I'm corn intolerant....maybe even worse than gluten so I'm worried about the corn cc with Bobs stuff. On the corn forum they all seem to react to Bob's products and dont recommend them....thats why I'm looking for other brands to use...like Bette Hagman's. Where can I get them?

lorka150 Collaborator

oh, sorry, i didn't know about the corn! i don't use bette hagman mixes... my flours are arrowhead mills or bob's, so i am not sure. sorry!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
oh, sorry, i didn't know about the corn! i don't use bette hagman mixes... my flours are arrowhead mills or bob's, so i am not sure. sorry!

Thanks anyway. I may have to order online. I found all the flours and mixes on the allergy website. Bummer....I hate ordering stuff online (unless its something fun). Waiting for flour to show up in the mail is not fun. :(

lonewolf Collaborator
Thanks anyway. I may have to order online. I found all the flours and mixes on the allergy website. Bummer....I hate ordering stuff online (unless its something fun). Waiting for flour to show up in the mail is not fun. :(

Can you get brown rice flour, potato starch and tapioca starch in bulk at a health food store? If not, what about boxes of Ener-G brand potato and tapioca starches - they're in yellow and red boxes. Maybe your local HFS could order some Lundberg br. rice flour? I make my own mix from these, and it really does work well, with xanthan gum. It's waaaaay cheaper than anything you can buy pre-packaged. You can also add about 20% bean flour to the mix for more "spring" in the baked goods.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
....I hate ordering stuff online (unless its something fun). Waiting for flour to show up in the mail is not fun. :(

DItto! Shoes, books, jewelry, all fun. FLOUR - not even slightly fun! :angry:

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

I remember packing some sweet rice flour and mailing it to my sister. I wrapped it so well...I was worried about what would happen if the box broke and there was "suspicious white powder" all over. Call 911! There's suspicious white powder all over the Tim Hortons! (or Dunkin Donuts or Krispy Kreme or whatever.)

Archived