This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Darifree Chocloate Ice Cream

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

THis is what I call a BASIC icecream recipe. Anyone should be able to pull this off if you have an ice cream maker. I have : Open Original Shared Link which I got for $39.99 thanks to a coupon. :)

Freeze Ice cream canister at least overnight, you want it nice and SOLID so that when you shake it you do not hear any liquid moving around.

LEAVE the canister in the freezer while your making this.

In a big bow mix (I used electric mixer)

3/4th cup Pure Cocoa

3/4th cup Raw Sugar (or your favorite replacement)

2 TSP Vanilla Extract

3 cups COLD prepaired DairFree

Mix all the ingredients throughly.

Then asemble the machine and turn it on. Slowly pour in the mixture to through the hole in the top of the mixer. Let run 25-30 mins, or unil you get the consitancey you want.

Transfer to a contianer and freeze what you dont not eat. Do not store it in the canister or it will turn ROCK HARD. :)

Thats it! Enjoy!

NOTE: I looked at a bunch of recipes for making DariFree ice cream, and they used Eggs, Salt, Oil, and other wierdo ingredients, none of which is needed. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mouse Enthusiast

Thanks for the recipe, but where do I buy Dairfree?

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

You can buy it from their website, Open Original Shared Link.

specialdiets Newbie

Thanks for posting this recipe...I've been wanting some type of Vances ice cream recipe for a while and haven't felt like experimenting. I'm going to use Chatfield's Carob Powder for the cocoa ingredient though(Im allergic to cocoa). Also, good to know about that ice cream maker - Ive been indecisive about which brand to purchase.

Sunni

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks for posting your delicious results--between you and Kasey's mom, I have a ton of good ideas! Now, I really need to buy an ice cream machine :D

jenvan Collaborator

Vincent-- So it tastes pretty good?

VydorScope Proficient
Vincent-- So it tastes pretty good?

Yes. Its not the exactly same as milk based ice cream because Vances is fat free... its more like what you would get if you made ice cream with skim milk. With the lack of milk fat, the flavor of the cocoa is a bit stronger, so you might want to back off some on it, this was VERY rich. :)

I'm going to use Chatfield's Carob Powder for the cocoa ingredient though(Im allergic to cocoa).

If you leave teh cocoa out completely you get Vanilla ice cream, if your into that :)

Also, good to know about that ice cream maker - Ive been indecisive about which brand to purchase.

The machine happened to be the one in the store at the time, and a couple ppl told me they liked it. It works alot better then the Walmart Brand (made by GE) one that I broke though! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StrongerToday Enthusiast

What is fake milk made out of?

VydorScope Proficient
What is fake milk made out of?

More Info can be found here : Open Original Shared Link but here isthe ingredintes:

Maltodextrin (from potatoes), Potato Starch, Natural Flavors (no MSG), Crystalline Fructose, Calcium Carbonate, colored with Titanium Dioxide (an inert mineral), Carrageenan, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Tricalcium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, Lactic Acid, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Vitamin A Palmitate, Niacinamide (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin K1, Thiamin mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12), Biotin.

ebrbetty Rising Star
:o wow thats high priced
VydorScope Proficient
:o wow thats high priced

Last I looked DariFree was between $1 and 1.39 per quart of milk pendnig how much you buy at once. Cheaper then some of hte alternatives here that run over $2 per quart.

Cheri A Contributor

Thanks for that recipe, Vincent!! I may have to add a new ice cream maker to my list of things I want B)

VydorScope Proficient

I might try redoing htis recipe with a bit of salt to riase the freezing point a bit. It freezes pretty hard with time, unless of course you plan to eat it all rgith away :D But my freezer is at -15F, much colder then most :)

• 1 month later...
Cheri A Contributor

I finally went and got a Cuisinart ice cream maker and made Vanilla Dari Free ice cream today!! Oh man is that stuff good!

Claire Collaborator

For those, like me. who are not into making their own ice cream, do try Sharon's Sorbet. This is not at all Sorbet as you probably think of it - icy. It is smooth, creamy and comes in many flavors. All are diary free, gluten free and soy free (except the coconut which has soy). Available at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Also available online but more expensive. Claire

Cheri A Contributor

Vincent ~ what kind of container did you store the leftovers in? I used a tupperware container and it was ROCK solid last night when I took it out.

Maybe I'll plan to have no leftovers next time B)

VydorScope Proficient
Vincent ~ what kind of container did you store the leftovers in? I used a tupperware container and it was ROCK solid last night when I took it out.

Maybe I'll plan to have no leftovers next time B)

Same, with same results :) Thats why I mentioned if I did it again I would try adding some salt to change the freezing point bit... but realy the best plan is no left overs LOL

jerseyangel Proficient

Cheri and Vincent--same with me! Vinvent, how much salt do you think we need to use? I used 4 cups of Dairi Free. (So I had a lot left over--had to let it sit on counter a few minutes, and even then had to scrape enough off to eat :D )

penguin Community Regular
Cheri and Vincent--same with me! Vinvent, how much salt do you think we need to use? I used 4 cups of Dairi Free. (So I had a lot left over--had to let it sit on counter a few minutes, and even then had to scrape enough off to eat :D )

There's not enough fat in the ice cream to make it soft and pliable like regular ice cream. Fat doesn't just taste good, it's got a job to do! :P

VydorScope Proficient
There's not enough fat in the ice cream to make it soft and pliable like regular ice cream. Fat doesn't just taste good, it's got a job to do! :P

Thats also true, try adding some oil.

jerseyangel Proficient

I will try the oil first--the recipe from Vance's calls for 2 tbsp. of oil. I looked at that, and at Vincent's and then made up my own based on those! Probably should have followed the recipe first, and then made changes--that's me--a little backward :D Thanks :)

VydorScope Proficient
I will try the oil first--the recipe from Vance's calls for 2 tbsp. of oil. I looked at that, and at Vincent's and then made up my own based on those! Probably should have followed the recipe first, and then made changes--that's me--a little backward :D Thanks :)

hehe, prehaps recipes are for ppl that lack imagination :lol:

jerseyangel Proficient

Ha--that's what I always thought! But this gluten-free stuff has completely thrown me for a loop :D

penguin Community Regular

If you can wrap your brain around it, you could do an avocado ice cream with the Vance's here's one that I found and modified, but I don't know how well it would work, it looks good on paper, anyway :P :

1 c. + 2 c. dari-free, 1/2 packet gelatin, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 3 ripe avocados

Take the avocados, peel and seed them then put into a blender with the 1 c. of dari free and make a puree. Pour the puree into a mixing bowl, add the sugar, lemon juice, salt, gelatin, and the rest of the dari free and beat until creamy. Then transfer the complete mixture into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer's instructions.

You could do a lot with fatty fruits and veggies. Peanut butter ice cream (w/choc chips especially), cashew butter ice cream, coconut ice cream, anything with a higher fat content.

In just a basic recipe, I think coconut oil would be good to help it be soft and not really affect the flavor.

EDIT: With the gelatin, dissolve it in a little boiling water first before adding to the dari free

jerseyangel Proficient

Wow--thanks Chelsea! Avodado ice cream--never thought about that, but I see what you mean about the fat content making the finished product soft. Will have to get back to the ice cream maker and experiment a litle bit more :D

What does the gelatin do for the ice cream?

Archived