29 replies to this topic

#1 odcdinah

odcdinah

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:24 AM

Does anyone else experience excessive abdominal noise/rumbling/gurgling? (the technical name is borborygmi). I seem to be experiencing this day and night and can't figure out what it is about.

Help! Anyone else?
[color=#3333FF]

Diagnosed 4/06 by positive biopsy and tissue transglutamase after only 4 months of being sick.
Recently married (July, 06) to a wonderfully supportive, non-celiac husband!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Sawyer

Sawyer

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:35 AM

I do if I get any gluten. Otherwise it calms down

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:41 AM

Does anyone else experience excessive abdominal noise/rumbling/gurgling? (the technical name is borborygmi). I seem to be experiencing this day and night and can't figure out what it is about.

Help! Anyone else?

I get this symptom as one of the first signs that I have gotten some gluten. It's always from some sort of CC. Have you been having this for long? You may be getting some hidden gluten--like in your personal care products or eating out. Another thing to consider is that something else is disagreeing with you--soy, corn, and dairy products (to name the more common ones) are things that can cause symptoms in those sensitive to them. Soy would do that to me, also.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 Felidae

Felidae

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:18 AM

I used to get those noises all the time before I went gluten-free. Also, dairy caused noises too for me.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#5 odcdinah

odcdinah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:28 AM

I used to get those noises all the time before I went gluten-free. Also, dairy caused noises too for me.

Thanks everyone! It's so helpful to know others have the same issues...
[color=#3333FF]

Diagnosed 4/06 by positive biopsy and tissue transglutamase after only 4 months of being sick.

#6 AmandaD

AmandaD

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:31 AM

Hi odcdinah - I'm new to celiac myself (just diagnosed by biopsy in Sept) and I recently got glutened and had a little intolerance to dairy at the same time...and experienced the same weird grumbly noises. Very common, from what I understand.

How old are you? How did you find out you had Celiac?

I'm sure it's been as weird a journey for you as it has for me!!! AmandaD
Amanda
Positive TTG 9/05
Positive endoscopy 9/05
Doing well with "Sprue"

#7 odcdinah

odcdinah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:53 AM

Hi odcdinah - I'm new to celiac myself (just diagnosed by biopsy in Sept) and I recently got glutened and had a little intolerance to dairy at the same time...and experienced the same weird grumbly noises. Very common, from what I understand.

How old are you? How did you find out you had Celiac?

I'm sure it's been as weird a journey for you as it has for me!!! AmandaD

Amanda,
I am 38 and was just diagnosed by biopsy and transglutamase (sp) blood work 3 weeks ago. No problems until this past January when I over-indulged on junk food - haven't been the same since. I haven't totally eliminated the dairy but need to do that
It's very hard to find all the gluten sources, I know I'm still accidently getting it. Even my Maybelline mascara has wheat germ oil!!!

The noises and gas are the worst part! I wish they'd go away. How are you coping?
[color=#3333FF]

#8 Guest_cassidy_*

Guest_cassidy_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:20 AM

It only happens to me when I'm glutened and is often the first symptom I feel.

#9 slpinsd

slpinsd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:33 AM

Before I went gluten-free, it would happen within seconds of eating gluten. That's one thing that happens as soon as I get glutened. However, excessive dairy does it to me, too, still.
Weak positive bloodwork (IgG only)
"Mild flattening of villi" noted on endoscopy, but negative biopsy
Positive response to gluten-free Diet 1/14/06
Diagnosed gluten intolerant by Enterolab
HLA-DQB1*0201, 0201 (HLA-DQ2, DQ2)- 2 Celiac Genes
Vitamin B-12 deficiency
Have not received Celiac Diagnosis based on negative biopsy

#10 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:36 AM

I get it from time to time and I can't figure out where it comes from. Sometimes it's from too much dairy, but mostly I have no idea.
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#11 jennyj

jennyj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 02:11 PM

I used to get laughed at because I could eat something and 10-15 minutes later my stomach would be "growling" so loud everyone around me would turn and look. NOW I know it must have been gluten.
jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue
Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002
Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

#12 kimjoy24

kimjoy24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:03 PM

I still get strange stomach noises even though I've been strictly gluten-free for almost a year now. I haven't been able to pinpoint what triggers it. It is sometimes very loud and very weird, and completely has a mind of its own. It's certainly not a good thing, but not as bad as my worst symptoms (nausea and brain fog).

Something that might help you figure out the trigger is to go on a very basic diet, if you are not already on one, with mainly whole, natural foods which would allow your gut to heal. Then slowly introduce things that you feel that you could handle before, and see if there's a gurgly reaction. I've been meaning to do something this myself, though I want to get tested for a few more food allergens before "detoxing.
Joy- Midtown Atlanta
Positive Fecal Test Results 6/05
Gluten, Lactose, Casein Intolerant
Severe Fat Malabsorption
Gluten-Free since 6/05

#13 odcdinah

odcdinah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:09 AM

I still get strange stomach noises even though I've been strictly gluten-free for almost a year now. I haven't been able to pinpoint what triggers it. It is sometimes very loud and very weird, and completely has a mind of its own. It's certainly not a good thing, but not as bad as my worst symptoms (nausea and brain fog).

Something that might help you figure out the trigger is to go on a very basic diet, if you are not already on one, with mainly whole, natural foods which would allow your gut to heal. Then slowly introduce things that you feel that you could handle before, and see if there's a gurgly reaction. I've been meaning to do something this myself, though I want to get tested for a few more food allergens before "detoxing.

Can the gastroenterologist test you for other food allergens/intolerances?
[color=#3333FF]

#14 AmandaD

AmandaD

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:21 AM

3 weeks ago - you're just a celiac baby! I was diagnosed in september by biopsy and ttg. it was like i didn't have stomach problems one day and then bam...poop! I still get glutened occasionally but in general the stomach stuff is calming down nicely. i also have some low vitamin d going on and my doc is trying to get me out in the sun every day :o)...i'm 30...three kids...we're actually going through the process of having all the kids tested now - they're 5, 4 and 2...

Amanda,
I am 38 and was just diagnosed by biopsy and transglutamase (sp) blood work 3 weeks ago. No problems until this past January when I over-indulged on junk food - haven't been the same since. I haven't totally eliminated the dairy but need to do that
It's very hard to find all the gluten sources, I know I'm still accidently getting it. Even my Maybelline mascara has wheat germ oil!!!

The noises and gas are the worst part! I wish they'd go away. How are you coping?

Amanda
Positive TTG 9/05
Positive endoscopy 9/05
Doing well with "Sprue"

#15 Mr J

Mr J

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:25 PM

Help! Anyone else?

the rumbling comes from the contractions of the stomach smooth muscle. Smooth muscle is in the walls of the bag which forms the stomach - not to be confused with the stomach and abdomen muscles on the outside of the body. Smooth muscle is autonomous muscle. Autonomous means it acts independently of your will, you can contract your abs at will when you do situps and crunches but there is little your mind can do to control the smooth muscle contractions. These contractions occur rythmically and churn the food. The churning helps digestion by breaking down meat and vege fibers.

the vagus nerve is what sends the signal to the smooth muscle to contract. various hormones in the blood and nutrients in the stomach are monitored by sensors. So when just the right mix of food and enzymes are in place the sensors pick this up and feed the signals via a "feedback loop" into the vagus nerve which signals to contract. Even an empty stomach sends signals of a different type - maybe a different feedback loop to the one which detects the food /enzyme mix - i dunno, i'm not a medical expert so just guessing. this different signal causes a different rythm of contraction and explains why a stomach rumbles when you are hungry. there are also feedback loops from the small intestine - again these i don't understand, just know they exist.

i found out about this coz gluten destroys the function of my vagus nerve - result is a condition called gastroparesis.

The gluten-free diet has restored my vagus nerve.

so now to turn everyone elses posts upside-down - a rumbling stomach is one of the happiest sounds in the world to me. when my stomach rumbles i frequently smile. These rumbles started about 8months ago after going gluten-free - the opposite experience to the others on this thread. Prior to that i had approx 2 yrs of deathly silence - no rumbles => paralysed stomach => awful.

when the smooth muscle stops its not obvious whats happened - food just doesn't want to digest and just sits there for hours. i had to go for walks all the time to try and empty my stomach in the absence of smooth muscle function.

i'm so happy when my stomach makes a noise :-)

cheers,

Mr J
age 47
enterolab tests
HLA-DQB1*0602, 0604 - sensetivity genes
Antigliadin IgA and Transglutaminase igA positive
Casein IgA positive
primary problem - gastroparesis - paralysis of the stomach
under control with the right drugs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: