20 replies to this topic

#16 jparsick84

jparsick84

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 06:19 AM

Feeling depressed is one of my symptoms. I can tell when I've been accidentally glutenated because I start to despair that my life will never get better, and then I can't stop crying. One day it was so bad I couldn't get off the couch the whole day - just laid there in a daze, trying to pull myself out of the funk but not being able to.

This is a big surprise to my friends because I'm usually extremely cheerful and friendly (the words "exuberant" and "too much" have been used here as well...) so even they can tell when I've got gluten.

Hopefully most of your feelings are from gluten!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 geokozmo

geokozmo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 05:21 AM

I also have this Jekyll-Hyde type of depression when I am glutenized. And it clears away if I pay attention to my diet. Strange. But doctors are not interested, probably because ifI am on a diet strictly their drugs are of no use. (And I dont use them anyway because they dont help me.)

#18 frec

frec

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:35 PM

Oh dear. I'm not finding any of the articles I've read over the years, but they are out there. Celiacs have poor absorption and the lack of nutrients interferes with proper synthesis of neurotransmitters, which affects mood. Intestinal damage lowers levels of vitamins B and D which are important to mood and healthy brain function. My naturopath told me that serotonin, an important neurotransmitter, is mainly synthesized by your intestines so celiacs have that problem as well.

Those are the actual chemical reasons. Being mysteriously sick or incontinent or in pain for umpteen years doesn't do much for one's mood either! Celiacs are a perfect storm of causes of anxiety or depression.
diagnosed with celiac disease in 2002--all test numbers off the charts
dairy free since 2000, soy free since 2007
other food intolerances: citrus, sesame, potatoes, corn, coffee

fibromyalgia, osteoporosis

#19 Steve63

Steve63

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:56 AM

I was on Paxil for 13yr's. I weaned myself off very slowly. Had alot of nero problems that led me to become gluten free. lo & behold my anxiety & depression completely disappeared. I swear by this. I'm sure there are many people suffering as i did. I really believe your diet is so important to your mental health as much as your physical health. People just refuse to believe that wheat can do this.

#20 jaimek

jaimek

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:48 PM

I have been gluten free for over 5 years and still have bouts of anxiety, irritability. I just recently met with a Psychologist for the first time ever and she said she thinks I have some sort of chemical imbalance. She suggested I see a Psychiatrist. I would really hate to start taking any prescription drugs. I just feel so alienated a lot of the time even though I have been on a gluten free diet for so long. I never cheat and rarely ever get glutened so I really don't know what is causing this. It is so frustrating. I do take Viactiv which is a calcium and Vitamin D supplement but maybe I should try the B12?
gluten-free since 2/6/04

#21 Robynhood

Robynhood

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:51 PM

i was treated for two years with all kinds of antidepressants, non of which worked. I finally switched GP and after ordering blood work she discovered my vitamin B levels were very low. After being loaded up with vitamin B shots my depression lifted. Now I have a b12 shot each month and it takes care of it. I am not a diagnosed celiac. I have had a biopsy and two blood tests which came back normal, however, my dad is celiac and I seem to have all the symptoms. I am about to embark on a gluten free diet to see what the effects on my body are.

wish me luck

:) Robyn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: