31 replies to this topic

#16 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:56 AM

I forgot to mention yesterday, that my five year old has recently decided to become vegitarian. My husband looked at me and I just looked surprised. She broke into a full out sob over having to eat an animal. She doesn't want to hurt any other living thing. I told her she didn't have to eat any meat, but she had to eat eggs and dairy and beans. All of which are not her favorites, but so far so good! She would rather eat things that don't taste as good as she would like them to, then hurt an animal. Personally, I'm really proud and impressed with her conviction. It's been over a month and she hasn't changed her mind!
lollie

What a dedicated young lady you have! I think it's great :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:25 AM

I forgot to mention yesterday, that my five year old has recently decided to become vegitarian. My husband looked at me and I just looked surprised. She broke into a full out sob over having to eat an animal. She doesn't want to hurt any other living thing. I told her she didn't have to eat any meat, but she had to eat eggs and dairy and beans. All of which are not her favorites, but so far so good! She would rather eat things that don't taste as good as she would like them to, then hurt an animal. Personally, I'm really proud and impressed with her conviction. It's been over a month and she hasn't changed her mind!
lollie

I did that, too, at her age! I may have been a touch older, but not much. I don't remember why, but I think it had to do with porkchops. I think I went 6 or 8 months and had a hamburger at a friends house. I was SO SICK! But I kind of added meat back in slowly after that. Vegetarianism was hard for me because I'm hypoglycemic and eating meat helps.

That's awesome that she has such conviction! It's even more awesome that you're supporting her!
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#18 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 01:28 PM

My granddaughter told me two years ago when she was six that she was Vegetarian. My son confirmed that she does not like meat and on very rare occasions will eat chicken or turkey but she prefers vegetables. Her brother prefers meat like my son.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#19 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

Bloom where you are planted.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:10 PM

Well, I'm going for it. I told my kids and husband. They're ok with it. We're having split pea with OUT ham tonight. :)
I believe in God.

#20 Lollie

Lollie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:57 PM

I did that, too, at her age! I may have been a touch older, but not much. I don't remember why, but I think it had to do with porkchops. I think I went 6 or 8 months and had a hamburger at a friends house. I was SO SICK! But I kind of added meat back in slowly after that. Vegetarianism was hard for me because I'm hypoglycemic and eating meat helps.

That's awesome that she has such conviction! It's even more awesome that you're supporting her!

Well, I love her! I wouldn't make her do anything that makes her feel that emotionally sad. She loves shrimp, her favorite thing in the world. Well she had said she wasn't going to eat meat like the day before I had planned to cook these really pretty gulf shrimp. Well I went ahead and cooked them.....She grabbed one and ate it. About mid bite she realized that a shrimp is an animal. She cried and continued to eat it. It was so sad, she had her conviction to not hurt animals, but it tasted so good! We talked a long time about that and I told her I wouldn't cook shrimp at home for a while. I don't know she is a very sweet, sensitive child! I just love her!

lollie
tests inconclusive, diet conclusive January 2006

#21 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:59 PM

Well, I love her! I wouldn't make her do anything that makes her feel that emotionally sad. She loves shrimp, her favorite thing in the world. Well she had said she wasn't going to eat meat like the day before I had planned to cook these really pretty gulf shrimp. Well I went ahead and cooked them.....She grabbed one and ate it. About mid bite she realized that a shrimp is an animal. She cried and continued to eat it. It was so sad, she had her conviction to not hurt animals, but it tasted so good! We talked a long time about that and I told her I wouldn't cook shrimp at home for a while. I don't know she is a very sweet, sensitive child! I just love her!

lollie

Well, tell her that shrimp, crabs, lobsters, and crawdads are underwater bugs. Which, really, they are, what with their antennae and exoskeletons. That'll either 1: turn her off seafood completely, and then she won't like them or 2: She won't feel bad she's eating an animal, because it's a bug :P
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#22 Lollie

Lollie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:08 PM

Well, tell her that shrimp, crabs, lobsters, and crawdads are underwater bugs. Which, really, they are, what with their antennae and exoskeletons. That'll either 1: turn her off seafood completely, and then she won't like them or 2: She won't feel bad she's eating an animal, because it's a bug :P

I tried that! She, for a little while, said she would only eat mean animals. So I tried to convince her that fish was really all just sharks and shrimp were bugs. But, she really likes bugs! She's out in the garden all the time collecting doodle bugs, so she just related them together. I just decided that I would let it play out. I will let her eat meat if she wants to, or if not, fine. I just keep up with her diet. But I am a little concerned, with our upcoming trip. We usually eat alot of seafood, and my DH always catches fish while we're there and I cook it. I guess she'll have alot of baked potato's.

She keeps getting on to Daddy, that he shouldn't fish and hurt the animals. My three year old says she's going fishing with Daddy and when she catches something she's gonna EAT IT!!!! It's pretty funny!

Lollie
tests inconclusive, diet conclusive January 2006

#23 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:51 PM

I just happened to notice there's some vegetarian/gluten-free info. and recipes on www.glutenfreeda.com
I haven't read it yet myself but I thought maybe the veggie folks on here would want to check it out.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#24 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:59 PM

I am not a vegetarian, but I'll give you reasons for why I think being a vegetarian is a good or bad idea.

Good Idea
Growing vegetables usually takes up less space and produces less harmful greenhouses gases than pastures for cattle.
Non organic meat can contain hormones, how do those hormones affect us?
Mainstream non organic meat is usually not very lean, since the animals usually aren't free range.
Dairy cattle and hens raised for eggs do not have the best lives.

Bad Idea
Humans need protein and meat is the best source of protein.
Without a good source of protein, you may develop anemia. You may also get tired and notice a lack of energy.
You already have to eliminate a lot of foods if you are on the gluten-free diet or if you have any other intolerances.

Personally, I chose not to be a vegetarian. I do not eat pork though, which is a personal decision and I don't eat dairy products because I am allergic. The meat that I do choose to eat is very high in protein and low in fat such as, extra lean hamburger, turkey, salmon, shrimp, tuna, chicken, and lean steak. Most of the meat that I eat is locally grown.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#25 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:00 PM

It is strange but my brother who used to call my sister and me the green sisters from hell. Now he declares he will not eat red meat because it takes up too much space. So, most of my family only eat seafood or poultry.

As for protein, beans and tofu are excellent sources of protein. I suffered from anemia without being vegetarian.

I once had a book called Recipes for a Small Planet and it was probably one of the first vegetarian books out. I have no idea where it is now but I did love that book. Just like we can make delicious gluten-free meals, just make them gluten and meat-free. Mine are that way most of the time.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#26 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:19 PM

I am not a vegetarian, but I'll give you reasons for why I think being a vegetarian is a good or bad idea.

Good Idea
Growing vegetables usually takes up less space and produces less harmful greenhouses gases than pastures for cattle.
Non organic meat can contain hormones, how do those hormones affect us?
Mainstream non organic meat is usually not very lean, since the animals usually aren't free range.
Dairy cattle and hens raised for eggs do not have the best lives.

Bad Idea
Humans need protein and meat is the best source of protein.
Without a good source of protein, you may develop anemia. You may also get tired and notice a lack of energy.
You already have to eliminate a lot of foods if you are on the gluten-free diet or if you have any other intolerances.

Personally, I chose not to be a vegetarian. I do not eat pork though, which is a personal decision and I don't eat dairy products because I am allergic. The meat that I do choose to eat is very high in protein and low in fat such as, extra lean hamburger, turkey, salmon, shrimp, tuna, chicken, and lean steak. Most of the meat that I eat is locally grown.

You may be surprised, as I was, that protein is not that difficult to come by in a veggie diet. Too much protein causes your body to NOT absorb calcium!!! That's why getting your calcium from dairy means you need to INCREASE your daily quota of Calcium!! If you get your calcium from a nondairy source such as green leafy veggies, you need a lower daily dose of calcium. I think most diets have too much protein, these days.
http://www.vrg.org/n...faq.htm#protein
I believe in God.

#27 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:03 PM

When I was younger (from 2-12) I was a vegetarian. This was extremely hard when I was growing and not really gaining weight or other stuff. It was hard to find good foods to eat for good calories and vitamins. I became so anemic that needed iron so badly that my parents made me eat meat. Both my sisters were still begetarian, and so is my mom. I really do hate the taste of meat, but I need the calories and other stuff that the meat has. I also needed more protien in my diet, and was already eating a lot of beans (they were my favorite food) and I was still not getting enough.
I still wish I was a veggie, but just can't deal with all the complications that being vegetarian caused me.
Molly

#28 key

key

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:38 AM

Molly,
I see you can't have soy either. It would be a bit tough to get everything you need without it. Soy is a great protein source. I know there are people that disagree with this. Were you able to eat dairy and eggs though? If you were eating cheese, eggs and milk, it doesn't seem like you would have a problem being vegetarian? Did it help you gain weight to eat meat?
Monica

#29 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:37 PM

You may be surprised, as I was, that protein is not that difficult to come by in a veggie diet. Too much protein causes your body to NOT absorb calcium!!! That's why getting your calcium from dairy means you need to INCREASE your daily quota of Calcium!! If you get your calcium from a nondairy source such as green leafy veggies, you need a lower daily dose of calcium. I think most diets have too much protein, these days.
http://www.vrg.org/n...faq.htm#protein

I know! I have an issue with dairy. I don't understand why dairy is encouraged! The media and the food guide says to eat dairy to get calcium, but actually calcium absorption is much harder by eating dairy. Even if I didn't have an allergy to dairy I still wouldn't eat it.
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#30 Jnkmnky

Jnkmnky

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:17 PM

I know! I have an issue with dairy. I don't understand why dairy is encouraged! The media and the food guide says to eat dairy to get calcium, but actually calcium absorption is much harder by eating dairy. Even if I didn't have an allergy to dairy I still wouldn't eat it.

A friend of mine encouraged me to get Kale today... :huh: I had to ask for help identifying it at the store :lol: ! So, I got it to shake up my dark, green calcium sources and .. it's pretty good!
It's better than cooked spinach becasue it's not slimey.
Here's how I prepared it...
Kale
olive oil
garlic
salt
Pacific brand mushroom broth
Cook it for awhile.
It was very tasty.
I believe in God.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: