13 replies to this topic

#1 floridanative

floridanative

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:59 PM

We went last Friday while visiting relatives and you will not believe how good their stuff is. I got two types of cookies, coffee cake, white sandwich bread (not pre-sliced), french bread loaf and garlic crisps. All for under $20. I'm trying to convince the home office to let that store (on E. Brainerd in Chat. TN) ship to Atlanta since it's a 1 day ship from Chat. Maybe if some others of you also e-mail them they will at least do a test run. I'm telling you people you will not believe how wonderful the baked goods are....it is hard for me to believe they are gluten free. They put everything else (ready made) I've tried to shame. I was in heaven all weekend and still have tons of goodies in my freezer.
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:29 AM

Where the heck are all you Chattanoogans??? If you've been to this bakery, then you know how great their gluten-free stuff is. I'd like to get Atlantans interested in trying the bakery with the UPS ground service so please share your thoughts on the gluten-free bakery - even if you don't agree with me.

Also, had my first pc. of really good toast today. The white sandwich bread that I got in TN is even better than kinickinnick's white tap. rice bread. But of course it's fresh, not frozen, so that is to be expected.

#3 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:30 AM

Soorry... thats a bit far from me in Nashville, but sounds great!

- Vincent -

#4 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:03 AM

Yes Vincent - I thought of you and wondered how far you were. This place is so good I would totally drive up and back in a day just to load up things in a cooler to carry me over six months. But only IF I can't convince them to ship to me directly.

#5 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:44 PM

Okay people good news! Well I mean if you're interested in ordering from the gluten free bakery in Chat.
I'm working with the corp. office to see if they can get the bakery owner (franchise) in Chat. to offer shipment that are only 1-2 days out from their location. You can find out what you are by calling 1-800 pick ups and telling them your zip code and the bakery zip (below).

For those of you who care below is the actual bakery (btw I was off on their name -oops! It's actually Great Harvest. Also, I'm listing the toll free of the number of the person I'm working with at corp. so you can call them too and rally support behind the idea if you are so inclined. You will not be disappointed if you give this bakery a chance. Also this is the ONLY bakery in the gluten-free dedicated facility in the country.

Great Harvest Bread Co.
8006 E. Brainerd Rd.
Chattanooga, TN 37421
423-855-7008

Oh and there are Great Harvest in Atlanta but apparently they don't offer gluten-free items. I'm going to double check that tomorrow. Plus I do not want items from a non ded. facility anyway and I'm sure the rest of you don't either.

#6 TCA

TCA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:00 PM

I'm about an hour and a half from Chattanooga. I'd love to try it as soon as we officially get out of cold and flu season and I can get my daughter out more. thanks for the info!
If you're looking for info on how to get started on the gluten-free diet, check out this List for Newly Diagnosed.
Self - Pain free since going gluten-free 9/05 (suffered from unexplained joint pain entire life), asthma improving, allergies improving, mysterious rash disappeared (probably DH)
Husband - Type 1 diabetic, Negative bloodwork
Son - Elevated IgA, Very high IgG, 2 negative biopsies - HLA DQ2 and DQ8 positive, Amazing dietary response since 1/06
Daughter - Congenital Heart Defect (2 surgeries), Reflux, choking issues, eczema, egg allergy - HLA DQ2 positive, Good dietary response (via me because of nursing) since 9/05
"All things happen for good for those who love God..." Romans 8:28

#7 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:46 AM

Okay - Atlantans here's your chance for yummy gluten free bread that's not frozen when you get it.

Great Harvest in Chat. TN will ship on Tues. or Wed. only, the gluten free stuff they bake those days. Now their website is www.chattanoogabreads.com and they have a baking schedule posted each month. What I can't tell is what exactly is baked on Tues. and Wed. but if you're interested you can call and find out yourself. I had their french bread last night with my fet. alfredo and nothing about my meal really tasted gluten free at all - just great pasta and great bread. Since this is a new service you'd have to call in your order but hey, it the sales go up, they may think of having a ded. facility here in Atlanta. That of course is my ultimate goal with this project. Seriously people - get ordering even if you only get a loaf of French bread which you will not believe is gluten free - I promise you. You must heat it up for it to be great but it only takes five minutes at 350. Also, their coffee cake is tying French bread for first place on best tasting gluten-free goodies.

#8 key

key

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 11:01 AM

I live in Knoxville, TN and I am only an hour and 15 minutes away from there. I am going to have to check it out soon. We were going to move there, but now we aren't. I would love for them to ship the stuff to our EarthFare here in Knoxville. That would be great if they could. It isn't that far here and I know they could sell the stuff if it is as good as you say. I am definitely going to check it out soon. I go out of town this week, but after that I will make a trip down there. Thanks so much for sharing this.
MOnica

#9 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:59 PM

HUm, do you think Pa is too far away to ship??? I want to know why evryone finds all these gluten-free places and there's nothing much in Western Pa!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I'm pouting and whining---poor me...and lucky for you people.

mamaw

#10 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:06 AM

HUm, do you think Pa is too far away to ship??? I want to know why evryone finds all these gluten-free places and there's nothing much in Western Pa!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I'm pouting and whining---poor me...and lucky for you people.
mamaw

mamaw - Great Harvest will not ship anywhere that is not a 1-2 day ship using UPS ground. To find out what shipping service you'd have, go to ups website (www.ups.com) or call 1-800-PICK-UPS and you have to give your zip code and the bakery's zip. Then they tell you how long it will take for ground packages. The bakery could probably ship overnight but not many people want to pay more for shipping than the products they ordered. The woman at the bakery told me that they thought shipping overnight would be cost prohibitive for the customer and she's right. It wasn't until I got home that I figured out that I'm only a day away from TN for UPS ground and thus my quest began to get the bakery to ship here. Also, you're allowed to whine.....I live in Atlanta and I'm not sure how many GH bakeries we have here.....there are 3 within 20 miles of me and they don't have gluten free goodies. I never would have guessed Chat. TN would have the gluten free stuff before we would.

#11 Kelgs

Kelgs

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:08 PM

We go there pretty often. They have moved though - now they are over closer to Signal Mt. We love the cookies. They use Betty Hagman's recipes. :)

Kelly (husband and at least 2 of our boys are celiac)

Okay people good news! Well I mean if you're interested in ordering from the gluten free bakery in Chat.
I'm working with the corp. office to see if they can get the bakery owner (franchise) in Chat. to offer shipment that are only 1-2 days out from their location. You can find out what you are by calling 1-800 pick ups and telling them your zip code and the bakery zip (below).

For those of you who care below is the actual bakery (btw I was off on their name -oops! It's actually Great Harvest. Also, I'm listing the toll free of the number of the person I'm working with at corp. so you can call them too and rally support behind the idea if you are so inclined. You will not be disappointed if you give this bakery a chance. Also this is the ONLY bakery in the gluten-free dedicated facility in the country.

Great Harvest Bread Co.
8006 E. Brainerd Rd.
Chattanooga, TN 37421
423-855-7008

Oh and there are Great Harvest in Atlanta but apparently they don't offer gluten-free items. I'm going to double check that tomorrow. Plus I do not want items from a non ded. facility anyway and I'm sure the rest of you don't either.

Kelly
Mom of Alex 9 - Gluten free since 1/07
Ethan 6 - Gluten free since 1/07
Zac 1 has never had gluten
Wife to Mark - Gluten free since 2003

#12 Great Harvest Chattanooga

Great Harvest Chattanooga

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:34 PM

We go there pretty often. They have moved though - now they are over closer to Signal Mt. We love the cookies. They use Betty Hagman's recipes. :)

Kelly (husband and at least 2 of our boys are celiac)

#13 Great Harvest Chattanooga

Great Harvest Chattanooga

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:40 PM

Hello All!!!

Yes Great Harvest has moved. We are currently at the Walmart Shopping Plaza at the bottom of Signal MT. That is: 541 Signal Mtn BLVD and our new phone is 423-267-0140. We have a bunch of new sweets like danishes. We hope to see you soon, and yes we will ship per our website: www.chattanoogagreatharvest.com ---sorry it is still a work in progress.

Happy Eating

James Shevlin, Owner

#14 missy'smom

missy'smom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:43 AM

I am within their range, according to UPS. We have a Great Harvest here but deffinitely not Gluten-free. I tried accessing both websites mentioned and couldn't get the one Great Harvest mentioned and the other, only the homepage came up but none of the features worked. I'd love to give it a try if it's reasonably priced as you said.
Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11
Son: ADHD '06,
neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07
ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08
ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08
Gluten-free-Feb. '09
other food allergies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: