This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why The Depression?

Lollie

Lollie Enthusiast

Can any one tell why the depression when you get accidental gluten in your diet? I got glutened yesterday, an over site on my part, and I was sick yesterday....numerous trips to the bathroom, nauseous, ect....

But now today, I'm just so down, and I get frustrated at little things so easy. It's not like me to be like this, except when I get some gluten by accident. I know I got gluten yesterday and I was able to track it down specifically. So any ideas? I just wondered, it seems so weird to me that gluten could effect my emotions so strongly.

Lollie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

odcdinah Contributor

I think alot of it is the feelings of living with a chronic illness, and the unpredicatbility of it. Research shows that feelings of a lack of control can contribute to depression. I can relate!

Can any one tell why the depression when you get accidental gluten in your diet? I got glutened yesterday, an over site on my part, and I was sick yesterday....numerous trips to the bathroom, nauseous, ect....

But now today, I'm just so down, and I get frustrated at little things so easy. It's not like me to be like this, except when I get some gluten by accident. I know I got gluten yesterday and I was able to track it down specifically. So any ideas? I just wondered, it seems so weird to me that gluten could effect my emotions so strongly.

Lollie

Lollie Enthusiast

Do you think it will subside? Like yesterday, I was fine. I was happy and getting all the running done. Then I got sick. Stopped me in my tracks. I wasn't sad yesterday. But then today, as the physical subsides, now this almost crushing weight of BLAH!!!!! I think I will go outside and get some fresh air. Sometimes, this disease is just ridiculous to me. All the aspects. It's so multi faceted. And confusing.

Lollie

penguin Community Regular

That happens to me when I get glutened, although I haven't figured out if it's because I'm so frustrated or if it's a chemical reaction. For me it's gone in a day or two. I hope you're feeling better!!! :)

Lollie Enthusiast

Thanks ChelsE! I know it will pass! I just don't like it much! I really think it has to be some kind of chemical reaction for me. It is to personality altering....

I'm going to try and find some research on it.....My doc is an idiot so I know I have to do all the leg work myself!

Lollie

Guest MyKidsMom

I get very depressed when glutened...I just plummet! For me it seems it is more chemical than just the fact that it is sometimes hard dealing with this disease. I have been having a hard time with it the last couple of months. Mine, too, was personality altering.

My doc gave me some zoloft (50mg) to take to offset it. I regulary take 100mg, but he said it is fast acting and that it wouldn't hurt to take an additional 50 mg when needed.

The biggest thing that seemed to help is when I went a Naturapathic Doctor...she gave me lots of vitamins: iron and liquid vitamins and B-complex.

I drink a Red Bull as soon as I can after being glutened, it really helps with the brain fog and the depression. It's jam packed with b-vitamins! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

The tissue in the brain and the tissue in the small intestine are very similar. It's very common for people with Celiac and those diagnosed with IBS to have problems with depression. I suffered with anxiety and depression before I was diagnosed--it returns every time I get a gluten reaction for a few days. It helps me to, at least, know what it is and that it will pass. The symptom is as real as the more physical ones.

Lollie Enthusiast

Just a thought: I always stop eating when I get sick like this. So if I'm not eating, I had gluten, then could I be having such an intense reaction because of the lack of vitamins and the gluten? I hadn't really ever thought of that. I will try to get some vitamins. The B vitamins seems to be a common link.

Thank you "Jersey Angel" - It does help to know what the heck is going on. I didn't realize that the intestinal tissue is simular to the brain tissue. Good Greif! What I have done to my poor brain all these years!!!!

Thanks all!

Lollie

detox Rookie

When I geel down after ingesting gluten I take vitamins. Specifically a multi and a B50 complex. It makes ME feel much better. Its odd, I can actually feel when my B runs out in my body. When that happens I take more (usually only 1) then in 20-30 min I am back on track. B50 for me is a life saver. Last year when I was in school I had so much trouble with the brain fog and feeling down and drained. This year school life is much better. I can actually concentrate. Truly for -->ME B50 complex is a lifesaver. Although it does my urine look like lime Gatorade, that kinda freaks me out a little.

I actually discovered it because someone on a celiac message board said that they had taken a product called ENADalert, something that was marketed for jetlag. They had stated that it elevated the brainfog associated with celiac in about 10-30 min. So I purchased some I took it a couple times and it seemed to work well. After some research I found that the active ingredient in that product is a B vitamin (not sure which 1 at this moment, there are many) so instead of taking a seemingly non mainstream supplement I decided to try the B50 complex which is available almost anywhere.

I found that it takes away a lot of the physical (sore muscles,laziness) and mental symptoms (feeling down, lethargy, brainfog, depression) that I feel after I have ingested gluten. Really it cant hurt to try this solution after all the B50 complex is a mainstream supplement taken my millions worldwide. I am no doctor but I know that it certainly works for ME.

Please if you decide to try a B50 supplement please post your results on this board.

Scott

aikiducky Apprentice

I get the depression, too, and it's definitely more than a feeling of frustration about being glutened, because often the depression or irritability hits before I know I've been glutened, it's often my first symptom! And B vit. helps me, too. Although lately I've been getting it in the form of smoked salmon&green veg. instead of a pill, when I get glutened I eat a lot of salads. :)

Pauliina

Lollie Enthusiast

Thanks! When I go to pick my girls up from school I'm going to go get some! Is there a particular brand or dosage you guys take? I was going to call my doc and ask but, seriously, he is not at all well versed on all this. Everything I have done, I have figured out myself, or asked for advice on here!!!!

Thanks again, I will post after I've tried it!!!!!

Lollie

key Contributor

Lollie,

The same thing happens to me when I am gluttened. It is quite scarey too. I am so happy all the time and feel fine. If I get gluttened, I feel as if my world is falling apart. I will hate my life, want to get away from everyone and everything. It is very hard to deal with. Then as quickly as it came, it is gone. I don't understand how it happens, but it is definitely chemical or something with me. I just feel SO low when it happens.

Scott,

Thanks for sharing what has helped you. I am going to give it a try too.

Monica

Lollie Enthusiast

Thank You!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I went to Whole Foods and searched the vitamin isle. I was a little hesitant because, I never take anything. I didn't even take vitamins when I was pregnant. They made me sick and the mid wife and I worked on my diet. My girls were completely healthy and so was I. But I just can't stand how tired and cranky I have been. So I went ahead and bought a bottle. I had lunch there and then took the vitamin. That was at about 1pm. By 4pm I was just acting silly with my girls, I'm not sleepy, I'm actually working in my studio (until now, so I could write to ya'll). I mean it's a real night and day difference.

So if there is such a thing as a miracle vitamin, by gosh this stuff is!!!!!

I bought the New Chapter Organics, Coenzyme B-Food Complex. It also has probiotics, something I have been trying to do through yogurt alone, but again, I figured I have heard alot of positives from taking them. So why not get them in one pill! The package says to take two, but I took just one to see how it did in my tummy. No problems, so I may take one at dinner too!

One more question: Do you take them on a daily basis, or only when you've been glutened? If they make me feel this good, I'm thinking I'll take them all the time!

Lollie

key Contributor

Lollie,

I am going to have to get some. Glad it helped you.

Monica

covsooze Enthusiast

I've always suffered low level depression on and off, but with the onset of my major celiac disease symptoms last year, i ended up on anti-depressants. I guess it didn't help that when I was feeling down I would turn to comfort foods such as bread, chocolate and cakes! The ads and counselling made a huge improvement to me, but I did experience a bit of a relapse after going gluten-free for a few weeks. I think part of this was the emotional impact of the new diet and partly withdrawal symptoms. I'm starting to feel a bit better now.

I got a B vit supplement as well, but have only taken it a few times as I seem to have developed headaches evey time I've taken it. I need to test this again to see if it's just a coincidence. The supplement is gfdf and everything else free (except B vits!) so I don't see why it should be doing that.

Lollie Enthusiast
I got a B vit supplement as well, but have only taken it a few times as I seem to have developed headaches evey time I've taken it. I need to test this again to see if it's just a coincidence. The supplement is gfdf and everything else free (except B vits!) so I don't see why it should be doing that.

When I bought mine yesterday, I was really careful to get one that was allergen free. But I also wanted to get a supplement that was an easily digestible as well. The girl at the store said this was a new generation of vitamins, and with the probiotics that really help with the absorption. I don't know. But I took it today too! And I am already feeling better. Maybe it's just the particualr type of supplement or something that gives you the headaches. But gosh, I don't know. All this can be so confusing! :blink:

I hope that it works out for you! I just feel really lucky that it seems to be working for me!

Lollie

So if there is such a thing as a miracle vitamin, by gosh this stuff is!!!!!

I bought the New Chapter Organics, Coenzyme B-Food Complex. It also has probiotics, something I have been trying to do through yogurt alone, but again, I figured I have heard alot of positives from taking them. So why not get them in one pill! The package says to take two, but I took just one to see how it did in my tummy. No problems, so I may take one at dinner too!

I bought those while I was out during lunch. The Whole Foods lady said they're the cadillac of vitamins, they're basically digested for you. I took two, and it seems I can actually tolerate them! I have a terrible time with vitamins, they usually make me nauseous. They woke me up a little bit, or at least they're helping me fight the urge to crawl under my desk and take a nap. :ph34r:

Thanks for suggesting them!

jerseyangel Proficient

I've been taking Centrum, but have recently found out they contain dairy. I have trouble with a lot of vitamins, probiotics and enzymes. My system is so darn sensitive. I may give these a try. Will check them out the next time I'm at WF. Thanks for posting about them!

Archived