2 replies to this topic

#1 booksrfun

booksrfun

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 05:26 AM

My daughter was tested through Enterolab and it showed that she did not have the 2 main genes necessary for celiac's disease but that she showed gluten sensitivity through some other genes (HLA-DQ 1, 3). Question: If you do not have either of the 2 main genes that almost ALL people w/ celiac's Disease have than is it still possible to get Celiac's ???? Kimball Labs which tests DNA says that if you do not have the two main genes for Celiac's than you do not/can not get it. (Info on their web site and you can call them) The Gastro doctor says that this is not the case and that you could still have it even if you do not have the genes. Is this, in fact, the difference between celiac's vs. gluten sensitivity??? Although both can do damage if you do not have the 2 main genes for Celiac's disease than you have the possible chance of healing your gut and later becoming less reactive to gluten and possibly reintroducing it into your diet like you do w/ other foods that cause allergies? I am confused about all of this conflicting info. Although my daughter does not have the 2 main genes for Celiac's she did show some malabsorption and scored both 10 for the fecal antigliadin IgA and Fecal antitissue transglutaminase IgA. The note from the lab said that she has dietary gluten sensitivity and an increased amont of fat in stool (score 339 w/ under 300 normal range). I e-mailed Enterolab these questions and did not receive a reply. Any info to enlighten me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, p.s. She is currently on a gluten free diet
Becky

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 taneil

taneil

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 11:42 AM

When did you e-mail enterolab with your questions? They ususally reply within 24 hours unless Dr. Fine is on a trip then it may take longer, but if they received your e-mail he will respond.

I don't know about your gene questions though.
Taneil
Enterolab Diagnosed May 2004
gluten-free/CF and have both genes

Psalm 27:13-14
I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD In the land of the living. Wait for the LORD;
Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD.

#3 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 08:33 PM

Did you e-mail Dr. Fine or Enterolab. If you e-mailed the lab dierectly they almost never respond, but if you e-mail Dr. Fine directly at kdxfine@yahoo.com , he will get back to you right away.

Two of my boys do not have the celiac genes (like my daughter and I do), but their doctor is not willing to rule out Celiac Disease. I was told their is just not enough known about the disease to know if they have isolated all of the genes that cause it, or if it is possible to get it without the genetic background. I believe this to be true, as there have not been as many studies on Celiac Disease and gluten sensitivity done as most other diseases get. And most doctors have no clue how to diagnose gluten sensitivity at all. If it isn't full blown celiac disease, then you are out of luck for a diagnosis. Thank God for Enterolab and Dr. Fine! :D

God bless,
Mariann
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: