33362 replies to this topic

#1 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 07:03 PM

Well I've been struggling for quite some time now. It doesnt matter what I eliminate I'm still sick. Its like it HAS to be something that is constantly in my system because I havent had a single symtom-free day for over 3 years now. Even when I limit myself to 2 safe foods I'm still having symptoms so basically nothing has worked. All meds or supplements have worsened my symptoms. All gluten-free packaged foods bother me. I toatlly eliminated casein and still have problems. It was only one supplement I was taking that had milk in it so I stopped taking it...felt better...started eating more foods and totally symptomatic again.

I was eating Enjoy Life chocolate chips with no problems..also did some baking...no problems. I had one cake mix with all safe ingredients and reacted. The mix only had like 4 ingredients and I tolerate all of them...the only questionable ingredient is Xanthan gum. Its also in every gluten-free product I've reacted to and also rice milks and almond milks and a ton of other stuff I cant have. I found out its from CORN. I never thought about corn...but its in everything. Even when I'm only eating meat and veggies (no corn) I'm still having corn everyday in my thyroid meds and any supplements or vitamins I've ever taken most likely have corn.

Pre gluten-free I never ate much candy or sweets....my favorite snacks were popcorn and Tostitos. These were also the first foods I started avoiding long before I ever heard of gluten because the next day I always had a swollen face and a migraine. I had thought it was from the salt or something. I thought everything was thyroid related since I had Graves so I started avoiding all salt.

I did some research on corn and its in pretty much everything...seems more difficult to avoid then both gluten and dairy. Today at work (I work in a grocery store) I started reading all the labels of the foods I used to eat before I got sick. They ALL have corn. Its in bread, soups, microwave dinners, yogurts, cheese (why is corn in cheese?). Anyways, I've never been corn-free because of my thyroid meds and lots of other things I've tried over the last year. I had posted about getting "glutened" by all the gluten-free cereals. Well they are all corn based....DUH. I dont know why I never thought of this since everything I've had problems with have some form of corn in them.

I really need to eliminate the corn to see if I get better but dont know how I can do this when I need to take thyroid pills everyday. What do people do in a situation like this? What if I'm intolerant to corn all this time and its in the medication I need to take?

The other big question is am I really intolerant to gluten and dairy? If I get better off corn I dont know what to think about that. All the foods that have gluten also have corn so I would likely have to stay off gluten anyways....hmmm...does pizza have corn in it? :huh:
Also yogurt and ice cream really mess me up but they also have corn. There ARE some brands and flavors that dont have corn so I would LOVE to not have a problem with dairy!!
I would rather be intolerant to corn and gluten both than have to give up dairy for good.

Does anyone have a corn intolerance? Could I have just developed this out of nowhere and NOT have gluten intolerance...or is it more likely that gluten caused this to happen in the first place? I'm actually hoping I'm corn intolerant cuz as hard as it seems I've been struggling a long time now. The symptoms I've gotten from the stuff I've eaten with xanthan gum are severe....also I had powdered sugar yesterday and had another severe reaction. I have no reaction to cane sugar but when I looked at the ingred. of the powdered stuff its cane suger AND corn starch! Right now I feel exactly like I felt before I ever went gluten-free...everything hurts. :( This would explain why I dont do well with anything processed or with any supplements or vitamins or medications.

I dont see too many people here with corn problems but hopefully someone has some advice about the thyroid meds??
Rachel

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:03 PM

Find a local compounding pharmacy and see if they can make your thyroid meds without corn. That may be a way to try it out.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:10 PM

Find a local compounding pharmacy and see if they can make your thyroid meds without corn. That may be a way to try it out.

Thanks,

I dont know anything about compounding pharmacies but will call around tomorrow. If this is something I need to do long-term I'm wondering if it costs more or does insurance cover it the same?
Rachel

#4 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:38 PM

OMG is right..Good Grief Rachel, I can't believe all you've been through and still feel like crap.
i take synthroid and have since they radiated my thyroid in 3 grade..but don't have a problem with corn on the cob and that's about as 'corn' as corn can get..so again, don't have answers for you but have lots of hugs and prayers.
judy
Judy in Southern CA

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:47 PM

This site lists a number of compounding pharmacies (scroll down to get CA - there are fewer in NorCal than SoCal, though). It will varying depending on your insurance, of course, but in my experience (I use a compounding pharmacy for the testosterone I've been taking for the past two years) it is somewhat more expensive (depending on the pharmacy, and whether or not you have to have it shipped), and insurance will cover at least some portion of the cost, though you may have to pay up front and submit a claim afterwards.

At least you get to pick what flavor (and sweetener) you get. At the moment, I've got mint and (unfortunately) aspartame. In two days, I try root beer flavor with stevia.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 cornbread

cornbread

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:23 PM

I can't have corn. I get my pain killers and antihistamines compounded. Corn is in a LOT of stuff!

#7 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:51 PM

My daughter is intolerant to corn. I am intolerant to all grains, including corn (you may have the same problem, maybe it's lectins? I react to all of them badly). I would NEVER have thought that xanthan gum is made from corn! But you have gotten excellent advice already, I hope you find a compounding pharmacy to make your thyroid meds without corn. It would be amazing if you would have finally figured it out!

I'll be praying for you!
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#8 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 11:15 PM

Could xanthan gum somehow be overprocessed in the same way that wheat gluten is and that is what makes your system reject it?

I seem to react to gluten-free breads and cakes the same way I react to regular bread (gas and bloating)--but frozen corn and corn tortillas don't seem to be a problem. I thought it was all in my head until I read your post--sheesh, those doctors are getting to me!

Oh, man, all the money I just spent on gluten-free flours and a bag of xanthan gum...

#9 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:46 AM

Thanks for the link Tarnalberry, that helps alot.

Ursula, I hope its not ALL grains but I dont seem to have any problems with rice or potatoes (is potato a lectin?) :unsure:

Cornbread, Why is your name Cornbread if you can't have corn? :P
Yeah....I cant believe how much stuff corn is in. They say you usually get an intolerance to the food you eat most. I would have never thought I eat corn the MOST but looking at the ingredients in everything...I ate corn all day...everyday of my life. :blink: Plus I always had a bag of Tostitos or some type of cornchip available. No wonder gluten-free diet wasnt working for me. I couldnt even eat a marshmallow without reacting!

I cant believe its taken me this long to notice this. I've pretty much reacted to all the gluten-free stuff like the cereals, all Glutino products, all the breads, all the snack bars and cookies...etc. I've stared at the ingredients to these things over and over and nothing stood out to me. Now I'm feeling dumb because everything says corn starch or corn syrup...every single one of the products has corn in it.
Rachel

#10 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:00 AM

Oh...and here's another one...did you guy's know that ALL baking powder (except one brand) is from corn??
So if I have corn intolerance I cant have any of the gluten-free foods because almost all have corn starch/syrup, xanthan gum, and baking powder. Bummer. I'll have to bake everything. I'm getting a breadmaker for sure now!
Rachel

#11 Guest_cassidy_*

Guest_cassidy_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:43 AM

That is amazing that you figured it out! Hopefully, eliminating corn will help you finally feel better. As far as the thyroid medicine is concerned, are there any supplements that work the same way as your medicine, but don't contain corn? Just a thought.

#12 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,790 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:30 AM

Could xanthan gum somehow be overprocessed in the same way that wheat gluten is and that is what makes your system reject it?

I seem to react to gluten-free breads and cakes the same way I react to regular bread (gas and bloating)--but frozen corn and corn tortillas don't seem to be a problem. I thought it was all in my head until I read your post--sheesh, those doctors are getting to me!

Oh, man, all the money I just spent on gluten-free flours and a bag of xanthan gum...

Before you toss your flours and xanthan, if frozen corn and tortillas don't bother you but bread and cakes do could you be reacting to the leavening agent, yeasts etc? Just a thought.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#13 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 04:34 AM

Wow did not know that aobut Xnathum Gum or baking powder! My SIL is allergic to corn. Ugh.

- Vincent -

#14 StrongerToday

StrongerToday

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:24 AM

Going corn-free would be even harder I think.... but at least you would know and you would feel good and that would be worth it!!! I hope this is the answer you've been searching so hard to find.

My friend's mom has corn intolerence, it's very difficult for her - but she also chooses to have some corn things and just deal with the stomach issues.

I wish you much luck!
Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05
Negative Bloodwork ~
Dr. encourages me to trust my
"Gut Reaction"

#15 key

key

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:21 AM

Rachel,
What symptoms are you having still?? Just curious. I too have symptoms of stuff still. I do feel better gluten free, but feel that there is something bothering me still. Have you tried giving up meat before? I know that sounds crazy, but I have many books on meat not being good and why. I think though that you are onto something with the corn and hope you figure it out. I met a lady that couldn't have corn, but I am not sure what her symptoms were when she ate it. Just the meat suggestion, because I know you have tried giving up just about everything else and if this doesn't work. SOmetimes I think that food in general bothers me.
Goodluck and let us know how it goes.
Monica

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: