This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

tabasco32 Apprentice
OMGsh! I did something terrible! :ph34r: :ph34r: :( I went to get frozen yogurt today with my friends after we went to color me mine. I am now paying miserably! Ugh! I was doing SO GREAT with no sugar/starch until that. Well, I guess at least it's gluten-free, df, sf. Sigh.

And, my friend made me gluten-free cupcakes and I think I should just throw them away because I don't want to me tempted. Bummer. :(

eat them, eat them, EAT THEM! just kidding. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
confusedks Enthusiast
eat them, eat them, EAT THEM! just kidding. :)

I probably would have, but my friend told me they have butter in them! Ugh, oh well. LOL!

Rpm999 Contributor

*still going crazy trying to find somebody who does ART*

anybody have any experience with anybody doing it who isn't a practitioner? wondering if even an immunologist could have an idea...i'm trying to call that bioset woman to see if she knows, but all 3 days nobodies picked up <_<

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Hey Rachel I hear you wear makeup now. Is it good to wear?

You heard I wear make-up now?? :huh:

I've always worn make-up. :lol:

When I first got sick my make-up and normal products I used were bothering me...I kept switching brands until I found stuff that didnt seem to bother me. I didnt know I was toxic at the time.

It was trial and error...the stuff I use now doesnt bother me...I havent worn any eye make-up in 5 years but I didnt wear it much when I was healthy anyways. I havent tried to see if it bothers me or not.

Maybe Dee told you I wear make-up now? She wasnt seeing me with make-up on until after my LED's were done. Thats because we cant wear make-up for the treatments.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
*still going crazy trying to find somebody who does ART*

anybody have any experience with anybody doing it who isn't a practitioner? wondering if even an immunologist could have an idea...i'm trying to call that bioset woman to see if she knows, but all 3 days nobodies picked up <_<

I dont think very many conventional Dr.'s would have any clue about ART.

Dr.'s or practitioners who are familar with muscle testing and natural healing are more likely to know of ART. It was developed by Dr. Klinghardt and is taught by him as well. Different types of doctors and dentists are certified ART practitioners...but it is less likely that you will find anyone in the mainstream. Those Dr.'s are generally not open to these types of modalities.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Rpm,

Where state are you in?? Why dont you try posting on the LymeNET board....there are several people posting there that have done ART. Someone may be able to direct you to a practitioner in your area.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
He went on to say that he has had people (lots of kids) that have had biopsies that he suspects as celiac, and he said he has not had even 1 come back with a positive biopsy!! But Enterolab has picked up a lot of them that clinically have then been helped so much with the gluten-free diet. He agrees with Dr. Fine that there has to be a lot of damage for the ttg?? to leak out into the bloodstream and be picked up by tests.

I tend to believe that Enterolab picks up alot more cases of Leaky Gut...than it does Celiac. The gluten-free diet would most likely help anyone who has a leaky gut. For that reason I dont believe that improvement of symptoms while on the diet is an automatic diagnosis of Celiac....nor do I believe that these are all cases of Celiac in its early stages.

I had positive tTG (according to Enterolab)...but I am not Celiac. I was at my sickest when I had the bloodwork done and I did not have positive bloodwork for Celiac. I had very high malabsorption score with Enterolab...how sick would I really need to be in order for my bloodwork to be positive?? :blink:

There are many diagnosed Celiacs without that high level of malabsorption.

I think that although we are seeing alot of people reacting to gluten (and dairy, and corn, and soy, and egg, etc) it is more often a result of leaky gut....a very common occurance in a world where we are exposed to many chemical insults on a daily basis. Not to mention antibiotics, vaccinations, toxic metals, parasites, etc.

The tests for Celiac arent perfect...but they arent that bad either....I believe they will pick up most true cases of Celiac. Like any other autoimmune diease...its has a genetic link...without having those genes and without having a trigger...a gluten intolerance is not necessarily Celiac.

I'm actually doing quite well eating gluten now despite Dr. Fines conclusions and recommendations. As long as the wheat is not bleached (i.e. loaded with chemicals) I seem to tolerate it just fine.

I've asked this question several times and have never gotten a satisfactory answer. I've even emailed Enterolab with this question.

If tTG is specific to Celiac Disease....how is it that soooo many who test through Enterolab and do NOT have a genetic predisposition for Celiac have a positive tTG?? :unsure:

What does that mean exactly??

And if all that damage were caused by gluten...why is that same damage still there long after gluten is removed from my diet?? :huh:

It all leads me to believe that there are other causes for elevated tTG in Enterolab's stool test. There are definately other causes for the malabsorption...and they do mention that in their report.

I think studies that link candida to tTG might have some relevance.

The virulence factor of C albicans-hyphal wall protein 1 (HWP1)-contains amino acid sequences that are identical or highly homologous to known coeliac disease-related alpha-gliadin and gamma-gliadin T-cell epitopes.

HWP1 is a transglutaminase substrate, and is used by C albicans to adhere to the intestinal epithelium. Furthermore, tissue transglutaminase and endomysium components could become covalently linked to the yeast.

Subsequently, C albicans might function as an adjuvant that stimulates antibody formation against HWP1 and gluten, and formation of autoreactive antibodies against tissue transglutaminase and endomysium.

I dont believe Enterolab will ever be used as a diagnostic test for Celiac Disease...it just doesnt seem capable of distinguishing between true celiac and a gluten intolerance brought on by other conditions in the body. The blood tests and endoscopy are more specific.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rpm999 Contributor

yeah the mainstream is clueless...i heard that "Integrated Med Clinics" usually have an ART practitioner on lyme net...and found some place called Advanced Integrated Medicine near me...hmm

Mango04 Enthusiast
You heard I wear make-up now?? :huh:

I've always worn make-up. :lol:

Pop in:

You guys are talking about make-up on this thread too? :lol: My cult is going to take over the world! :lol:

You should all come join us for some riveting discussion (about blush, lip gloss, concealer etc. LOL :lol:) on the EM thread.

Popping back out.....

AndreaB Contributor
Pop in:

Popping back out.....

Hi Mango! Always good to see you. :)

confusedks Enthusiast

Carla,

Remember a while ago I mentioned that I wanted to wear my rain boots but it stopped raining and you thought it was funny because I live in LA and, well, it doesn't rain a lot here. Well, I got to wear them today!!! LOL! YAYYY! :D It's POURING rain here....like woah!

Mango,

:lol: :lol:

Rachel,

I agree with what you're saying, but there are also a few people on this board who do NOT have the "celiac genes" but DO have biopsy confirmed Celiac. I think that if I was on gluten when I had the Celiac test done, I probably would have been positive. Eventually I may go back on gluten, but for now, it seems there is still wayyyyy too much damage that needs to be healed (I say this because the test results I got about a week ago).

And, as far as multiple intolerances, I think it's interesting. I was actually talking to my mom today about adding dairy back into my diet to see what would happen, because if I do have Celiac, then I should be "healed" enough to be producing lactase to be able to handle dairy again. I won't add it back it right now, but I would like to eventually. Time will tell, if after working on my "terrible GI tract" I am able to eat gluten again, then it probably isn't Celiac. But if I am still not able to eat gluten, then that is my answer.

I do think that people with TONS of intolerances need to look deeper than gluten intolerance. There are some people who are SO restricted on this board that it is a shame to think they will just live like that forever. I know that I was egg and nut free for a while, but now I am able to tolerate both just fine. So, it may be the same for dairy and soy...who knows!? :)

CarlaB Enthusiast

YAY! Rain! :blink: If you want to get a lot of wear out of your boots, come for a visit in April! You're homeschooled now .... you can spend a week or two here. :) It'll give your mom a break! And, you can wear your rainboots day after day after day!

Do you play racquetball? :lol:

Rpm999 Contributor
Rachel,

I agree with what you're saying, but there are also a few people on this board who do NOT have the "celiac genes" but DO have biopsy confirmed Celiac.

yeah but the villi could be damaged for other reasons, which yeah would definately give gluten problems but it won't make you have definite celiac...ANYBODY that's real sick should be on a strict diet because crucial things, like villi, can take damage from many things

Rachel--24 Collaborator
yeah but the villi could be damaged for other reasons, which yeah would definately give gluten problems but it won't make you have definite celiac...ANYBODY that's real sick should be on a strict diet because crucial things, like villi, can take damage from many things

Villi damage is pretty specific to Celiac.

Leaky gut involves damage/inflammation to the intestinal lining but not necessarily the villi. There is a specific test for leaky gut and it does not involve checking for damage to the villi.

A person can a have a severely leaky gut and many issues as a result...but no damage to the villi...meaning no Celiac Disease.

Villi damage = Celiac....as far as I know...except maybe in some rare cases.

Kassandra...its about 1-3% of diagnosed Celiacs that dont have one of the 2 main genes. It seems like those people usually have DQ1.

My Enterolab results were positive across the board suggesting gluten as a major factor in my symptoms/malabsorption...also indicating damage (elevated tTG). At that time many people (including myself) thought that I was in that 1-3% who do not carry a main gene (I have DQ1).

Obviously, I dont feel that way today....I believe that all of my Celiac testing was accurate. I may have a ton of stuff going on that could definately be assocciated with Celiac...but I dont actually have the disease itself....nor do I believe I could ever develop it...no matter how much I consume gluten.

Not saying that it wont cause me problems in other ways...considering all my gut issues...but I dont believe that I will ever develop Celiac.

Time will tell, if after working on my "terrible GI tract" I am able to eat gluten again, then it probably isn't Celiac. But if I am still not able to eat gluten, then that is my answer.

This is exactly how I felt about it. I trust my body's response above all else. If Dr. Fine had published for peer review and his tests were found to have some validity...that might cause me to rethink things. However, I dont see that ever happening.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Hi Mango! Always good to see you. :)

Ditto!! :D

Nice to see you popping in Meredith! :)

So is that thread really all about make-up?? :huh:

I'm pretty restricted to the few things I use...so I dont think I can contribute a whole lot of scientificness about make-up. Especially since I havent quite mastered the art of putting it on correctly. :lol:

Yesterday my boss told me that I have something on my face. Ummm...no...it was actually a pimple that I "attempted" to cover up with some white stuff. :rolleyes:

Rpm999 Contributor

oh really, that's good to know...boy you make me feel stupid :lol:...but wait if villi damage means celiac, and you had damage come up in enterolab, i assume that damage means just damage from gluten? i assume DQ1 & 3 aren't the main genes?

ShadowSwallow Newbie

Rpm,

If you live in Western PA, then "Advanced Integrative Medicine" is a place I have been a patient at for... 11 years. They do BioSet there, both practitioners are very knowlegeable, and the doctor there is good. :)

confusedks Enthusiast
YAY! Rain! :blink: If you want to get a lot of wear out of your boots, come for a visit in April! You're homeschooled now .... you can spend a week or two here. :) It'll give your mom a break! And, you can wear your rainboots day after day after day!

Do you play racquetball? :lol:

LOL! I would love to! That would be so much fun! It's really funny because my mom and I got into an argument tonight and to come here and read this was so fitting! :D:lol:

Even though I wore my rainboots, I still managed to get really wet! LOL! I just think I'm not meant to be in the rain, lol!!!

I don't play racquetball, but I would love to learn. :P

mftnchn Explorer

I think there are still a lot of opinions about where to draw the line between gluten sensitivity and celiac, and yours is a valid opinion, Rachel. The thing is for me, I didn't have the opportunity for either blood tests or biopsy. So I have to make a call based on what I do have. I have one more possible clue, the picture from the endoscopy done in China which has one view of the duodenum and it totally smooth without one visible fold. I read that each view of the duodenum should have at least 3 visible folds and that decreased or absent folds is pretty diagnostic for celiac. Now of course that doesn't match up to a biopsy. But it is just one more clue for me.

We'll see what unfolds in the future. For now gluten-free makes sense for me.

mftnchn Explorer

I am also using EM makeup and like it very much. It was great to find something bismuth free, and the ingredients are very simple. I haven't had really sensitive skin, but my eyes are sensitive, and I have some trouble with inhalent reactions to makeup. I'm glad to find something that I feel good in. I haven't quite figured out how to keep it from enhancing the lines on my face a little bit.

Carla I guess I should have said I am in my 6th decade...LOL. Scary thing. :rolleyes:

Rachel--24 Collaborator
oh really, that's good to know...boy you make me feel stupid :lol:...but wait if villi damage means celiac, and you had damage come up in enterolab, i assume that damage means just damage from gluten? i assume DQ1 & 3 aren't the main genes?

DQ1 and DQ3 are not the main celiac genes.

Enterolab tests arent proven to be valid..they are not considered to be diagnostic. Enterolab says that tTG in the stool test indicates damage from gluten...this could very well be true...but in my case it was not villi damage..so not Celiac.

I think other things may cause elevated tTG in the stool test...mainly candida...which I do have issues with.

Also it wouldnt have just been gluten causing inflammation/leaky gut....it more likely would have been yeast, parasites as well as gluten and other dietary proteins.

Many factors can cause or contribute to leaky gut....however its only gluten which causes villi damage in Celiac.

dlp252 Apprentice
So is that thread really all about make-up?? :huh:

YEP!!! :lol: I haven't worn makeup in a while (except on Sundays and special ocassions) because the Bare Minerals I use (which used to be the only thing that didn't make me react) started making me react. So basically I stopped wearing much makeup. I saw Mango's thread, and decided to order a free sample kit, and, at least for now, I'm not reacting. I've been wearing it everyday for about a month now I think, so far no reactions. Pretty amazing to me, lol.

Even though I wore my rainboots, I still managed to get really wet! LOL! I just think I'm not meant to be in the rain, lol!!!

You know, sometimes you don't need rain... :lol: Hey, I used to wear sweaters when I lived in Hawaii. I loved my sweaters and dag nabbit I was going to wear them. :lol:

I haven't had really sensitive skin, but my eyes are sensitive, and I have some trouble with inhalent reactions to makeup. I'm glad to find something that I feel good in. I haven't quite figured out how to keep it from enhancing the lines on my face a little bit.

Yeah, the Bare Minerals I was using was causing breakouts on my face plus burning my eyes. So far this stuff isn't causing breakouts and my eyes don't burn, so I'm loving it. I read somewhere...maybe in the EM thread, lol, that enhancing the lines might be because your color is too dark. I'll see if I can find that.

CarlaB Enthusiast

My kids had a two hour snow delay today. :) There's not much snow on the ground ... I guess it was actively snowing earlier when the buses were supposed to be running. So, I still have two at home. :)

This is exactly how I felt about it. I trust my body's response above all else. If Dr. Fine had published for peer review and his tests were found to have some validity...that might cause me to rethink things. However, I dont see that ever happening.
Me, too. I think my body's response is the best indicator. I've been eating gluten again for months and my GI issues are still the best they've been in my life. If the gluten intolerance had been permanent, I don't think I'd still be feeling this good.

I think his tests can tell something is going on with gluten, but not whether it's celiac, and if it's not celiac, I don't know how anyone could tell whether it was a permanent intolerance or not.

Enterolab can't diagnose celiac or damage. It can show that you have absorption problems, which implies damage, but it cannot diagnose villi damage.

Carla I guess I should have said I am in my 6th decade...LOL. Scary thing. :rolleyes:
LOL See, doesn't "50's" sound better than that? :lol:

Rachel, I could teach you how to hide that pimple .... first, unless you want to bring more attention to it, don't use WHITE! :lol: Just put a dab of foundation on it, tap it to spread it out and blend it .... then dab a little powder on it. It's not perfect, but it will take away a bit of the redness. You can use concealer instead of foundation, but use one close to your skin color.

Sherry, powder will accentuate wrinkles. Period. I use a little Zia powder ... it has no talc and doesn't accentuate them unless you get too heavy handed with it. I get it at Wild Oats/Whole Foods. Keep it (or any powder) away from your eyes .... that's how those wrinkles get exaggerated.

I used to sell Estee Lauder. :rolleyes: So, I've done makeup for weddings, etc. ..... and, back in the 80's at that, back when makeup was FUN! Fun colors! :D

dlp252 Apprentice

Sherry,

Yep, it was Julie who posted this quote from the EM website about fine lines:

Fine Lines?

If fine lines are accentuated, your foundation is too dark for your skin. If you find this to be the case, simply blend with a lighter shade of foundation to achieve the perfect complexion.

dlp252 Apprentice

Okay everyone...I've been struggling with whether or not to call my regular duck doctor about something.

When I had my annual exam with her last year, I remember telling her that my breasts were very sore. Not tender like at period time, but, for instance, when I lay on my exercise ball for certain stretches and exercises (face down) I can't stay there more than a few seconds because it hurts too much. She did an exam and I had a mammo (which by the way was EXTREMELY painful--moreso than usual), and all was pronounced well and fine.

Okay, so over the last year, that pain hasn't gone away, and may be worse. But in the last month or two, I now get a searing--mostly related to physical contact as opposed to just sitting here and getting the pain. For instance, if I put on a jacket, and the jacket brushes too hard (we're not talking about really hard either), it causes a searing pain, that almost takes my breath away, and lasts for several seconds, then goes away. Anytime I brush it like that, the pain happens.

I've done some Internet searches and mostly what I found was that pain is usually not a primary indication of cancer, but did find a site that said that with moderate pain that doesn't get better, one should call their doctor right away, and with severe pain, immediately. However, it really seems like it might be an injury (although not sure how it would have gotten injured, lol).

So, here's what I'm struggling with...my insurance pays for ONE mammogram per year and one physical a year...my year isn't up until April. I really can't affort to pay for this without the insurance, especially after the huge dental bill, but if on the small chance it IS cancer (which I highly doubt), I wouldn't want to wait, even two months. Ack, don't know what to do, lol.

Archived