This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Kassandra,

I'm coming in late with my input about the antidepressants.

Just wanted to say that if they dont resolve your depression I probably would recommend stopping and trying some other things.

I was definately anti AD's....I didnt feel like they would help "fix" me....but I was also VERY depressed and really needing some help. I finally gave in after the Dr.'s had been pushing the AD's for months...saying its what I NEEDED to get better.

I took prozac for 2 months....there was no change even though the Dr.'s had said I'd be a "new" person. :rolleyes:

I did realize that the Prozac had caused me to totally lose my sex drive....not that it was important at the time...but still...it didnt help my situation and it brought on its own new symptoms.

The Dr. then wanted me to continue with the Prozac and add in Wellbutrin to counteract the loss of sex drive. WTH?? :unsure:

Obviously the pills didnt work for me...I didnt see any benefit in taking additional meds to counteract unwanted side effects of a drug that wasnt helping me in the least bit. :huh:

Ultimately, it was diet changes and ONLY diet changes that resolved the depression for me. It was a very rapid and clear improvement that took place after only a short time on the candida diet (days). It was drastic...from severe dpression with suicidal thoughts....to actually laughing, smiling and enjoying life again.

Of all symptoms I think depression is by FAR the worst of all...and it tends to make everything else feel so much worse. I hope the AD works for you because I know what its like to feel this way....but if it doesnt you still have other options that may make a big difference in this area.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AndreaB Contributor
Yup...I've outdone myself again. :ph34r:

Wish I could blame it all on sweet potatoes!!

I guess I can blame it on the big piece of cake I ate....Hehe...yeah...its the CAKE's fault!!!! :lol:

Stupid yummy birthday cake!! :P

Yes, I remember our shy conversation.

As to the rest......Uh-Oh!!!!! :ph34r:

mftnchn Explorer
Sherry,

I read somewhere that some allergy shots have aluminum as a binder. Just a thought. You might need to check into that.

April

Thanks, I'll check. Though I have taken these for years without problems, so I still think it is seasonal overload.

mftnchn Explorer
:o I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Sherry,

Was aluminum in your metal profile?

I'm sorry you're having a rough time with allergies and such. I hope things calm down soon for you.

Thanks, not sure about the profile. I'll have to check when I get home. Another week here; just a quick read to catch up but no time to post much.

Hi to everyone--I'm here! (waving)

mftnchn Explorer
Sherry--

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but have you tried acupuncture for your allergies? It is of course, expensive, but my dad and sister have done it for years (not constantly of course, who can afford that?) and really found relief with it.

That I haven't done though I have tried it for other things.

I've had gua sha on my head twice, and I think it helps a bit.

miamia Rookie

soorry

miamia Rookie
I'm working on letting people in. It's not easy for me. The reasons behind it are totally involved and blah, but I am working on it, and getting better at telling people how I feel.

The problem is, for so long, since I don't really tell people how I feel, people now think I'm complaining or over-reacting. So, it's not exactly a response to encourage "feeling telling." <_<

I agree the eyes say a lot. You're TOTALLY right about the expectation thing...If I don't feel good, people don't know what to do, my mom included. It's really rough to have everyone "look to me" for health and positivity. Argh...it gets me to after a while.

----

I have decided I am going to try the medication and see how I feel. The fact that I am asking for help in this situation is HUGE growth for me. As Dr H said, I gotta let them help me. Being depressed won't help me get better, that's for sure.

Now I have to figure out a way to not let my mom know...ugh.

Kassandra-

I totally understand the feeling of feeling like you are complaining but alot of this might be in your head since your so used to not saying when somethings worng I used to feel like everytime I said i wasen't feeling well I was being annoying. People did not evevn know I was sick until I got so thin it soulden't be avoided and I realized I would rather let people know what was really going on than letting them just assume I was anoerexic. , bbut it was the best thing I did. I still hate complaining about it but I realize its not m fault!!! That is something I still struggle with and hjave to say to mself alot and I suggest ou do the same. IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT !!!!It is not your fault that you are sick !!!! and I think excepting this and reall internalizing this is very important

Miamia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

miamia Rookie
I never heard of getting high from cake, but I know that there's special brownies out there that do the trick. ;)

P.S.

Although I've never ate them.

i have and they do

miamia Rookie
i have and they do

yes now all it takes are certain fods and I am loopy as heck. Although I would take the loopiness to the GI and negative head symptoms any day.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
i have and they do

:lol::lol:

Too funny Mia.

I actually cant remember if I've ever had them...or if they did the trick. :huh:

Yup...the cognitive problems must have wiped this from my memory completely. :unsure:

If I ever had them....I'm sure they were yummy. :D

nora-n Rookie

About the getting high on cake, I mentioned it here before, just check out reichelt and gliadin in a search engine....there are opioid sequences in gliadin and casein proteins. This is what autists react to. Are you an Aspie, Rachel??

About what ldn is, it is Low Dose Naltrexone, brought up here as one of the latest things going on.

I read on the ldn websites and sometimes check the forums. The yahoo groups are more busy (there are several of them, owned by several different persons/organisations)

Funnily they bring up the subject of Lyme all the time, almost every day.

Brenda says that those 15% of MS patietns that do not get better on ldn, most likely are misdiagnosed and have lyme instead.

Here is a posting I read the other day:

"> I AM wondering tho' why the newly diagnosed with Lyme are dropping

> from here

>

> there IS some potential for LDN and Lyme that doesnt seem to improve

> after meds ( or herbs etc)( due to autoimmune responses and many

> getting dysautonomias etc triggered by Lyme--not to mention those

> with Lyme AND other stuff)

>

> Does anyone have any ideas why theyve left LDN?? and if anyone who

> hasnt seen much improvement with the usual Lyme protocols added back

> LDN???

> thats what Im hoping to do with my son (18).

>

> thanks

> Finette

================

The first group dropped out before lyme docs started adding LDN to the

lyme treatment protocol. Dr. Bihari said that LDN plays a limited

role in lyme. It does not work the same on lyme as it does with

autoimmune diseases and certain forms of cancer.

Since there are too many people out there misdiagnosed, 1 misdiagnosed

person is detrimental in my book, I prefer to recommend getting the

BVPM test and or the IGeneX Lab tests. I watched a 10 year old boy

lose his childhood over a misdiagnosis. Diagnosed with MS, by the age

of 12 he was completely wheelchair bound, totally catatonic(non-

responsive/like a vegetable) and the only way he could move was when

his grand-mal seizures threw him out of his chair or bed. By the time

he was 18 his parents had him re-tested by another doctor who used

IGeneX Labs and found he had lyme, not MS. With lyme treatment he now

walks with a walker and is trying to catch up on all those years of

school missed due to a misdiagnosis. This is why I am so pushy on

this subject. I do not want to see someone suffer like that young man

suffered.Brenda"

Open Original Shared Link

Rachel--24 Collaborator
About the getting high on cake, I mentioned it here before, just check out reichelt and gliadin in a search engine....there are opioid sequences in gliadin and casein proteins. This is what autists react to. Are you an Aspie, Rachel??

No..I'm not on the spectrum. I was "normal" until age 31. I have mercury toxicity...which isnt any different from what the kids on the spectrum are dealing with. The only real significant difference is that I'm an adult and I'm not affected in the same way because I'm not in the early stages of development.

I don't actually get a high from opiates in gliadin or casein. I dont react that way to those foods. This is more common with children. I can eat gluten and dairy w/out getting the feeling of being high.

Its preservatives, food colorings, additives and those types of things that cause a feeling of being high for me.

The kids on the spectrum tend to also have behavioral problems from these chemicals as well as the opiates from gliadin and casein.

If these things cant be broken down and eliminated they will circulate and cause symptoms.

Alot of the kids do much better when taking an enzyme with high amounts of DPPIV. In many cases the symptoms caused by gluten and dairy are eliminated comepletey once the child is taking an enzyme to digest the proteins. DPPIV is required for digesting gluten and dairy....this enzyme is particularly sensitive to mercury and is inhibited/blocked in most kids who are on the spectrum.

tabasco32 Apprentice
I don't know if there is a magical answer.

I take that back. The magical answer is.....dumdadadum......self control. :)

For those of you who don't know we are talking about how hard it is to not feed our bugs.

tabasco32 Apprentice

More children nowadays suffer from fatty livers. It becomes chirrossis(sp?) of the liver and maybe hepatitis. We only heard of this from alchohalism. But I believe that sugar is a form of alchohal. I guess sugar breaks down into some kind of alchohal state.

I think thats why things that contain a lot of sugar our body can't handle it. You make vodka from potatoes, scotch from sugar cane and whiskey from corn. They are then distilled and become alchohal.

Maybe this is why you had a handover Rachel. Basically you must have drank a six pack of beer ^_^ when you ate that whole cake.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Maybe this is why you had a handover Rachel. Basically you must have drank a six pack of beer ^_^ when you ate that whole cake.

Yup...and I went out dancing that night too. At least I dont need to shell out the $$ for drinks when I got my own brewery going on inside....my buzz is FREE. :D

I think my enzyme which renders the yeast by-products (alcohol) harmless...is not functioning. I think this stuff is pretty potent when you cant get rid of it. :blink:

miamia Rookie
No..I'm not on the spectrum. I was "normal" until age 31. I have mercury toxicity...which isnt any different from what the kids on the spectrum are dealing with. The only real significant difference is that I'm an adult and I'm not affected in the same way because I'm not in the early stages of development.

I don't actually get a high from opiates in gliadin or casein. I dont react that way to those foods. This is more common with children. I can eat gluten and dairy w/out getting the feeling of being high.

Its preservatives, food colorings, additives and those types of things that cause a feeling of being high for me.

The kids on the spectrum tend to also have behavioral problems from these chemicals as well as the opiates from gliadin and casein.

If these things cant be broken down and eliminated they will circulate and cause symptoms.

Alot of the kids do much better when taking an enzyme with high amounts of DPPIV. In many cases the symptoms caused by gluten and dairy are eliminated comepletey once the child is taking an enzyme to digest the proteins. DPPIV is required for digesting gluten and dairy....this enzyme is particularly sensitive to mercury and is inhibited/blocked in most kids who are on the spectrum.

Rachel

It is the same for me in terms of which foods make me "high" there are these gluten free snap pea things -really yummy- and when i use to eat them I would always end up dinging out lod on the street and doing all sorts of weird stuff- I don't eat them anymore(funny face )

Guest tamedandfoxed
I'm going to have a full body nettie pot rinse in the Gulf of Mexico today! LOL I'm at the airport waiting for our flight.

LUCKY!!

I feel more scared of myself than anything else right now. Did you know that bad yeast is more toxic than any chemical out thier? That's kind of scarey. Sometimes I have to remind myself of that.

I feel ya on that one. I will go a few days without any sugar and even to the point where i'm past the cravings and then all of a sudden it's in front of me and i'm like oh why not? it's so stupid.

Rachel--I totally get "high" when i eat sugar, so i know what you're talking about. And friends get jealous of me too, i'm like, believe me, you don't want this high.. much prefer special brownies.. but that'd be like a double dose right now! haha.

IS there any alcohol we can have? seriously??

Kassandra,

I've been on anti-depressants since 5th grade. I've gone through all of them. Now I take Cymbalta. I've taken it on and off for about 2 years. It's the best one. I also get needles in my ears at the acupuncturist that stay in for 2 weeks. Omega three is also really great. I've tried being off of drugs for depression--not since going off gluten--but i've never been "okay" off them. I think alot of it has to do with circumstance and health. i know when i feel like crap, my depression is high. and that makes sense to me. I was off them for awhile but knew i needed the extra support. in my opinion--yeah--avoid them if you can. But if you're really sad and using all your energy just to maintain mental health, then you aren't going to have any energy for food-health stuff, let alone social, etc. If an anti-depressant helps you focus on other things, then i say go for it and dont' stress about it. Cymbalta targets physical symptoms of depression too, so it may help you FEEL better. Plus it's not known to mess with sex drive, like Prozac or Wellbutrin, etc. or at least not as much.

But i can relate to what Rachel is saying about diet. When i eat sugar, i definitely get agitated and sad the next day--in they way alcohol does.

In Other News

I am soooooo sick of working at Panera. I am a walking contradiction. I am hoping my interview goes well on wednesday. I have my dads car this week so i'm trying to get more hours at Panera. I picked up half of a friends shift tomorrow, so i'll be working from 10am until 7pm. whatttttttttt? yeah. it will suck.

tired. hungry. fussy.

it wants sugar.

i babysat last night and ate candy from Halloween.

yeah.

pathetic i know.

~Katy

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I take that back. The magical answer is.....dumdadadum......self control. :)

Damn! Thats it?? :huh:

Lisa...there must be another answer. This one is not good....I'm seriously lacking in this area right now!! :lol:

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I feel ya on that one. I will go a few days without any sugar and even to the point where i'm past the cravings and then all of a sudden it's in front of me and i'm like oh why not? it's so stupid.

Once you get past the cravings its not all that bad...but once you indulge...you gotta go through the whole process all over again. It sucks.

I was strict for 4 months...not even a pinch of the stuff....no carbs either. That was almost 3 years ago. Since then I havent been so strict. I eat sugar....I just try not to go crazy with it. Theres alot of other "healthier" foods that do me in worse than sugar...so thats my reasoning. :P

Rachel--I totally get "high" when i eat sugar, so i know what you're talking about. And friends get jealous of me too, i'm like, believe me, you don't want this high.. much prefer special brownies.. but that'd be like a double dose right now! haha.

:lol::lol:

Yup....friends will make their comments about how "lucky" I am. I get high off food and I eat big pieces of cake and LOSE weight instead of gaining! :huh:

I say the same thing....You dont want this!! Not fun!!

Yeah...special brownies might kill me right now!! :blink:

No thanks....a regular brownie is all I need. :lol:

IS there any alcohol we can have? seriously??

Seriously?? :huh:

If there's an alcohol out there that tastes like alcohol and has the same effect as alcohol....but is not actually recognized by my body as *being* alcohol...I havent found it yet. :unsure:

Maybe I should invent some!! :o Rinne....I might need your creativity on this one!! :lol:

Sorry....I only have bad news for you on the alcohol situation. :(

Those of us with the yeast issues have more than enough alcohol already....unfortunately its not nearly as enjoyable as the kind you can drink. <_<

CarlaB Enthusiast

Hi everyone! Just a quick drive-by ... I did go swimming in the Gulf today ... I was sure I got plenty of salt water up my nose, LOL ... and it did clear my head. Just a minor cough now. I feel much, much better after some fresh air, sunshine and my full body nettie pot :lol:.

I'm dragging just a little from the upper respiratory infection .... other than that, I'm feeling GREAT again. :)

I hope everyone is feeling good. :)

Nyxie63 Apprentice

Another drive-by. Must be a trend tonight. :lol:

I'm doing much better these days. The migraines and vomiting episodes have gone away since I stopped taking the Mino.

I'm on day 2 of Zith and no side effects so far. *knock wood* Other than knots in my right shoulder and neck that won't go away, I'm actually feeling pretty good. Even the tingling has died down to almost nothing. Yay!

Supposed to start Ceftin either tomorrow or Tuesday. Hope that goes as well as the Zith.

Getting a brain MRI tomorrow to check for swelling and other fun stuff. A friend of mine has offered to get in touch with a few neuroradiologists she knows (who are lyme literate) for 2nd and 3rd opinions. For free! It's good to know people who know people. :D

Will update again once I get my results.

Hope everyone's doing well (haven't caught up yet). :)

dlp252 Apprentice

Happy Monday all! I missed our two year anniversary party, lol! So happy anniversary all!

Good luck with your brain MRI Nyxie!

confused Community Regular

Ok, i have started back on the candida diet. I am already going crazy, my body wants starburst so bad. I know i have to stick with it if i want to feel better from all this mold.

I also wanted to add, that since we have started to really clean this house, I am feeling better. I still have not found mold anywhere else. Well there was mold starting to grow in one vent cause one of my lovely kids threw an oreo in there. Thank goodness i had an mask on when i found it and screamed for hubby to come clean it.

confusedks Enthusiast
Ok, i have started back on the candida diet. I am already going crazy, my body wants starburst so bad. I know i have to stick with it if i want to feel better from all this mold.

I also wanted to add, that since we have started to really clean this house, I am feeling better. I still have not found mold anywhere else. Well there was mold starting to grow in one vent cause one of my lovely kids threw an oreo in there. Thank goodness i had an mask on when i found it and screamed for hubby to come clean it.

:lol: That's SO funny! I used to put things in my moms car...but then she'd make ME clean it, LOL! Then I stopped. ;)

Good for you for getting back on the candida diet!

Nyxie63 Apprentice

Hrm.

So I get there, get in the machine *bump bump click click click*, and tech comes in. The tech, btw, was extremely cute although not a whole lot of personality. But anyway.....

He said he called the radiologist while I was in there (heckuva time to call). The radiologist said that in order to get a better look at what's going on in my head, they'd need me to go in the regular MRI. Apparently, white matter lesions from lyme don't just jump out at you.

I'm now rescheduled for 9:30 at night this Wednesday.

At least all the paperwork's done. :lol:

Archived