This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I feel like a complete idiot for not thinking of it myself.

I am going to freak out if it was this cheese the whole time making me sick.

I haven't had dairy or cheese, but I would NEVER have thought that my cheese project could have done this.

Is there a quick way to find out whats going on and/or heal? (delusions of grandeur I am sure)

Hmmmm....I dont know if the cheese project could be responsible??

Were you exposed to the cheese mold on a regular basis?? If it was in the fridge I dont know if the exposure would be constant enough to make you sick...but I dont think its impossible either.

Mold can cause some serious harm by bringing down the immune system and also if you are particularly susceptible to mold toxins your body may not deal with them very well.

Even though you tolerated cheese mold in the past things can change depending on how many stressors your immune system is dealing with.

I used to tolerate *everything* without any problems....now I can hardly tolerate *anything*. :huh:

Lots of us here have issues with mold. My Dr. said those who have issues with metals and Lyme tend to have issues with molds as well. Its a whole viscious cycle.....once the immune system is suppressed you can become vulnerable to many things that may not have caused symptoms in the past.

If you think that you had a great deal of exposure from the cheese project I do think it could be a factor....hopefully you can get it figured out. Theres no easy answer because it depends on any other factors that might also be present.

Get rid of the cheese and see if that helps. I wonder if the mold spores could also travel to other foods in your fridge?? :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CarlaB Enthusiast
Hopefully life will continue to bring happiness my way. :)

And more pink. :)

Kassandra, don't be too envious! The brain fog is still there, it was just lifted enough for a while this morning that I could read music and didn't have to rely on already knowing the melody ... as far as serious reading/studying, I still couldn't do that either.

However, one of my new meds is minocycline which crosses into the brain. Between it and the bartonella treatment, we're hoping it helps with this brain fog.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel,

When you went off corn, did you notice a big difference? Are you still off of it? I have thought about going off, but I don't know if I should. I think it would just be yet "another" intolerance which is probable a product of Lyme?

Kassandra

I wouldnt say that I noticed dramatic improvement going off of corn.....at that time I was still eating alot of other things which were not helping. What I *did* notice dramatic improvement from was stopping all supplements. I did that when I was trying corn-free because corn is in so many supplements and meds.

Once I stopped the supplements I gained 10 lbs right away. My weight has been pretty stable ever since. That was back when I first started this thread.

The improvement from stopping the supplements was totally unrelated to corn.

I still avoid corn because its a moldy grain and I do have problems with it....I have problems with all grains. :(

For me its just another intolerance caused by the other issues and leaky gut. I dont worry about tiny amounts of corn now but I definately dont eat it outright.

AndreaB Contributor
Thanks for the flight info.!! :)

I think you will be 100% behind my other decision as well. :D

No more toxic people bringing me down!! :angry:

No problem with the flight info. I would have never known there were so many airports to choose from had you not told me. :)

Yes, of course, I'm 100% behind your other decision. :D

You've seen improvement this last year in your health and well being all around.....that's something to be happy about too. :)

Green12 Enthusiast

Rachel, I am so sorry you reacted to the IV, I was so hoping that would not be the case.

I am anxious to hear what comes of your conversation with your Dr. if the formula can be tweaked, yet still effective, for you.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel, I am so sorry you reacted to the IV, I was so hoping that would not be the case.

I am anxious to hear what comes of your conversation with your Dr. if the formula can be tweaked, yet still effective, for you.

Yeah...its a real bummer only because I had been feeling soooo good. It wasnt really any different from any other reaction I've had to foods or anything else but its just so much more noticeable when you're feeling good. :rolleyes:

Before the IV I think my head had the least amount of swelling I've had in maybe over a year. :o

I think thats alot to do with why I was feeling so good...there was alot less pressure in my head.

I'm doing the low oxalate thing....yet I'm eating alot of chocolate and it seems like the chocolate reduced swelling. :huh:

Chocolate is suppossed to be high oxalate. <_<

The only 2 reasons I can think of is that the caffiene from the chocolate (I can feel it) is increasing my heartbeat and my circulation....or the magnesium is somehow helping??

I take magnesium supplements but its in "malate" form.... but its the "citrate" form of magnesium that can help with reducing oxalates.

I still think alot of my reactions to veggies, herbs, supplements, fruits, etc are related to salicylates. Most of the foods high in salicylates are also high oxalate so its difficult to determine which is the problem. Chocolate is NOT high in salicylates though.

Its mostly the plant stuff that I have the biggest problems with.

I started taking calcium citrate today. It reduces oxalates and I'm determined to figure out if this is a problem or not.

Reason being....I think if I can reduce oxalates....I'll also be reducing yeast....which will also take some of the burden off of my liver. Oxalates and yeast bind with metals so reducing these would probably make it easier for my body to release the metals. Thats what I'm thinking. If I can get some of these other things which are holding onto metals reduced to lower levels my chelation might be much more effective.

Green12 Enthusiast
Before the IV I think my head had the least amount of swelling I've had in maybe over a year. :o

I think thats alot to do with why I was feeling so good...there was alot less pressure in my head.

The only 2 reasons I can think of is that the caffiene from the chocolate (I can feel it) is increasing my heartbeat and my circulation....or the magnesium is somehow helping??

Does the fact that cocoa in chocolate is a vasodialator enter the equation in any way? I'm wondering if the pressure is somehow relieved by the blood vessels dialating :huh:

Reason being....I think if I can reduce oxalates....I'll also be reducing yeast....which will also take some of the burden off of my liver. Oxalates and yeast bind with metals so reducing these would probably make it easier for my body to release the metals. Thats what I'm thinking. If I can get some of these other things which are holding onto metals reduced to lower levels my chelation might be much more effective.

You'll get there, I just know it, you have so many pieces of the puzzle accounted for and in place, it's just a matter of time :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

miamia Rookie
I tried a handful of organic, gluten free cornflakes (just corn flour and salt).

BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER.

A few hours later I was sweating, dizzy, angry, exhausted and my brain was no where to be found.

(I was hoping to be able to have a grain to base meals around, but apparently I was over zealous)

I also had to take out dried dates (mouth reaction and regurgitation)

peanut butter (acid burning & regurgitation)

pickles (heartburn)

I did make a soup with collard greens, carrots, onions, chicken stock (homemade), yams that stayed down very well.

I also stewed prunes with some cardamom, and as long as I don't eat more than 7 of those, they work - in more ways than 1.

Roasted chicken also is doing ok as long as I don't eat it alone and not too much.

The biggest breakthrough - hot cocoa mix (milk free) into baby formula. It makes the baby-vomit-burnt-tires taste less noticeable and I can at least get down half a glass.

(None of the three hydrolyzed protein powdered I tried worked. I bloated and regurgitated them all.)

I overwhelming want to eat an entire bag of candy corn RIGHT NOW. Thank goodness there aren't any in the house.

can I ask you what baby formula your nutritionist recommended

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Does the fact that cocoa in chocolate is a vasodialator enter the equation in any way? I'm wondering if the pressure is somehow relieved by the blood vessels dialating :huh:

I dunno?? :unsure:

Its the wierdest thing but I've tested it 3 times now and it definately is reducing the swelling in my head. :huh:

It is also making me hyper, making me aware of my heartbeat and waking me up at night (during the detox hours). Its causing my body temp to go up...increased body temp reduces allergies significantly.

My Dr. always stresses that about the body temp.

Also, enzymes are *highly* sensitive to temp. changes. Mercury can inactivate any enyme in the body...mercury can also reduce body temp. significantly. I read that bringing up the body temp. (even by one degree) can restore enzyme function.

Its interesting because when I was able to eat normal food for those two days at work I had been eating the chocolate...not feeling cold and puffy...an I tolerated foods I wouldnt normally tolerate. :huh:

I dont think the chocolate is *good* for me....but it is definately serving some purpose which is beneficial to me....I'm sure its also having negative effects as well.

I did eat choc. ice cream for several months without having these results....but I was consuming dairy at the same time and I was not focusing on the low oxalate thing. I ate popcorn and potatoes daily and all of these foods worsened my fungal issues. Thats when I tested through the roof with my yeast antibodies.

After eliminating those foods my yeast antibodies came down more than 50%. My results were still well above the normal range...still severe but definately a huge improvement from where it was.

I'm feeling less yeasty avoiding the high oxalate foods and starches....even though I'm consuming the sugar from the chocolate.

You'll get there, I just know it, you have so many pieces of the puzzle accounted for and in place, it's just a matter of time :D

Thanks for always being so supportive Julie! :)

The encouragement I get from you guys really does help to keep me motivated. :)

michelleL Apprentice

I used to react to corn - I don't anymore, not to say that it might come back... - 7, 9, 13, knock on wood. I was also allergic to soy, seemd to have recovered from it and could tolerate it for a while, and now I am sooooooo extremely allergic to soy, it is not a laughing matter.

melmak5 Contributor

Rachel - I had a small, special, cheese-fridge for the project. The fridge in the kitchen is for eating, the one in my bedroom was just for my crazy science experiments.

I really doubt it is the cause of all this (I have asthma and I think I would have had a strong lung-based reaction) but I am sure its not good to have another irritant where I sleep. So, to the basement with you cheese!

Miamia - I sent you a pm, but I tried Similac, purple label, hypoallergenic for babies with protein sensitivity.

The allergist did not recommend one formula over another, he said that its best to find what your body responds to, so don't buy in bulk, buy the smallest quantity possible and try it. A little at first, see how your body does, and then the next day try a little more.

I realized why I have not been able to tolerate ANY protein supplements from health/vitamin stores... none are 100% hydrolyzed. (A Vitamin Shoppe manager was very kind and helpful with explaining all of the details, and labels)

Next trial is Earth's Best Organic baby formula (powder).

It doesn't taste like puke & burnt tires, so I am hoping I can switch to this one.

dlp252 Apprentice

Good morning all...just a quick drive by post...

I was really busy on Friday at work, and well, have just been feeling overwhelmed by just about everything lately, AND I'm now in panic mode because I've done absolutely NOTHING for my trip on Saturday, so I'll probably be an absentee rachellvillian until after my cruise. I think I need the break from the computer time too.

This year I won't be able to check-in from the ship because my friend no longer has unlimited minutes...sheesh, I've been working hard to get to platinum status (only 1 more cruise after this to go) and now they've changed the "perks" so it no longer includes computer time onboard, lol.

Feel free to email me if you'd like, but I probably won't be around much for a couple of weeks.

jerseyangel Proficient
Good morning all...just a quick drive by post...

I was really busy on Friday at work, and well, have just been feeling overwhelmed by just about everything lately, AND I'm now in panic mode because I've done absolutely NOTHING for my trip on Saturday, so I'll probably be an absentee rachellvillian until after my cruise. I think I need the break from the computer time too.

This year I won't be able to check-in from the ship because my friend no longer has unlimited minutes...sheesh, I've been working hard to get to platinum status (only 1 more cruise after this to go) and now they've changed the "perks" so it no longer includes computer time onboard, lol.

Feel free to email me if you'd like, but I probably won't be around much for a couple of weeks.

Have a wonderful, safe, relaxing time, Donna :D I can relate to feeling overwhelmed--we move on Saturday and the details are driving me nuts....

Anyway, I'll catch up with you soon, but I just wanted to tell you bon-voyage and give you a cyber hug! See you soon :)

covsooze Enthusiast

A quick drive by here as I'm looking after a poorly DS :(

Donna, have a great cruise B)

Patti, thinking of you unpacking :)

Rachel take a look at www.chocolate.org It's great and lists all the truly good things about chocolate (ie scientifically good things ;) )

Susie x

AndreaB Contributor

Have a fun time. I'll miss not hearing from you this year. That stinks that they changed the perks. :(

Have a wonderful, safe, relaxing time, Donna :D I can relate to feeling overwhelmed--we move on Saturday and the details are driving me nuts....

Anyway, I'll catch up with you soon, but I just wanted to tell you bon-voyage and give you a cyber hug! See you soon :)

That came up quick. Hoping for a smooth move, with no more injuries. :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel - I had a small, special, cheese-fridge for the project. The fridge in the kitchen is for eating, the one in my bedroom was just for my crazy science experiments.

I really doubt it is the cause of all this (I have asthma and I think I would have had a strong lung-based reaction) but I am sure its not good to have another irritant where I sleep. So, to the basement with you cheese!

Yeah..it doesnt sound like cheese project could have caused it all...and I agree that you'd probably experience some wheezing or coughing...something with the lungs.

Glad you moved it out of your room though.

Donna...bummer that we wont be hearing from you but I'll be thinking about you...and hoping you're having lots of fun. :)

Patti...sheeeesh...the moving date is almost here already! :o

It seems like it came pretty fast.

Good luck with the move. :)

Rachel take a look at www.chocolate.org It's great and lists all the truly good things about chocolate (ie scientifically good things ;) )

Susie,

YAY...scientificness about CHOCOLATE!!! :D:D

Yup...I'm eating some right now. :P

I'll have to check out this page later on...thanks for sharing. :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I got the dates for Amy's next visit....its not until the middle of December so hopefully I'll get up to Washington before that.

How exciting if I actually go and get to meet Andrea and the children. :D

jerseyangel Proficient

Still jealous.... :D

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Awww...too bad we werent all closer. Sheeeesh....why does New Jersey have to be so far?? :rolleyes:

jerseyangel Proficient
Awww...too bad we werent all closer. Sheeeesh....why does New Jersey have to be so far?? :rolleyes:

I know :( --maybe someday :)

AndreaB Contributor
I got the dates for Amy's next visit....its not until the middle of December so hopefully I'll get up to Washington before that.

I can't wait!

I wish I could meet you too. :(

covsooze Enthusiast

At least you guys are all on the same continent! ;) I guess that makes me the UK ambassador to Rachelville :lol:

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Rachel,

That is so weird about the chocolate helping the head swelling. :blink: The circulation is increased by caffeine, so maybe that is it? Other than that, I am out of ideas. Perhaps you have an oxalate threshold, where you can tolerate one type of high oxalate food per day? In my opinion, anything that gives me a good reason for eating chocolate is worthwhile! :lol:

Magnesium certainly seems to help me as well, since I often get terrible migraines when trying to stop eating chocolate. I think the caffeine boosts how I feel. I thought I was overdoing the caffeine, because of my heart pounding and me sweating so much. However, not having any this morning did not have any effect on that. My guess is that it is the shortage of B12. I took the bonemeal powder yesterday, and felt better. I have not taken any today, and am feeling worse again.

I have had the craps today, because I ate too many nuts. Planters are so good! Due to the high fat content, I really need to control myself from now on. If it had been the B12 and calcium, the effects would have been long before now. I took it at noon yesterday.

I know low oxalate diets are better for yeast. My theory is because the oxalates act as natural chelators. Chelation stirs up metals, which worsens the Candida. This all goes back to the information you gave us from Klinghardt. It makes a lot of sense!

I would not be surprised if the cheese is causing Kristina to react. I do not know if the mold spores could travel to the food around the cheese or not. That probably depends on various factors. One would be whether or not the cheese is covered. Just breathing in mold can make me sick. Removing it from her room is a good idea. Reducing her exposure should reveal if it is the culprit or a contributor to her misery.

You are wise to remove toxic people from your life! They are energy vampires, feeding off of us. It makes us physically weak, not just emotionally upset. I wish I could get away from the emotional vampires in my family. These are definitely toxic people!

I bet they can take out the Vitamin C from the IVs. If they removed the B Vitamins, I am sure they can remove the other one. These treatments often have to be highly personalized. Each body is different. Let us know what the doctor says! Meanwhile, I was wondering about the kind of reaction you got from the B Vitamins. How do you know if you are reacting badly?

You will love www.chocolate.org! It is a great site! All kinds of neat information is on there! Susie told me about it the other day! I have it in my favorites now!

That is great you should get to see Andrea soon! I wish I could come. Maybe one day we all will get to meet! Bev said if she won the lottery we would have a huge party! We are going to hold her to it, too!

Dear Julie,

I hope the doctor can tweak the IVs for Rachel, too! I think they probably could. The B Vitamins were removed. I do not see why they could not adjust the Vitamin C accordingly. Let's just keep sending good energy her way!

Dear Kristina,

Do not feel dumb! You cannot think of everything! We all have things that we cannot believe did not don on us. That is just how things are! :) Sometimes, you need to get together with other people to discuss your issues and everyone can brainstorm. Rachelville does that, and we have been able to help each other a lot!

It cannot hurt to avoid exposure to the cheese and see how you do. Mold spores can travel, but if the cheese is covered, it probably is not bothering any of your food. Being near it can still make you ill if you are sensitive enough. People with a yeast overgrowth typically are. Certain types of mold may bother you more than others as well.

I become queasy smelling mold a lot of the time. Other times, I begin sneezing or feel pressure in my head. This varies depending on whether the mold is from the refrigerator or the shower. They probably are different kinds of fungus. The trouble is, I react to all of it! :(

Dear Carla,

I am glad the Mino and Bart treatments are helping. Brain fog sucks! I know I have it off and on. Sometimes it is to the point I think I am getting Alzheimer's at 24! :unsure: I did better after taking B12 yesterday. I know vitamin deficiencies often play a role in our mental function. I have not gotten to take it yet today.

Dear michelleL,

I am happy to hear you got better after removing corn from your diet. :) I do alright with corn, but know eating a lot of it all the time is bad for Candida. Since I have that, it complicates matters a lot. Creamed corn is the only form of it I cannot tolerate. It gives me terrible stomach cramps and D.

I hope I am not sensitive to soy. I do fine on soymilk that has nothing but filtered water in it aside from the actual soy. However, carageenan seems to irritate my system. My stomach is very tempermental. I hope to God I am not developing additional intolerances.

Dear Andrea,

I have a feeling the IVs can be fixed. Rachel's doctor seems to know how to make things right for every single patient. I wish my doctor would get moving! I am trying to get the ball rolling on the Lyme testing. Regardless of the information I can give her, I will probably be better off posting my results here for everyone to see and interpret.

Dear Mia,

How are you? I hope better. I know chelation wipes you out. Are the colonics helping still? What about your worm protocol? Have you started that yet?

Dear Patti,

I want to be there to meet Andrea, too! Indiana is sort of halfway between everything. That is one bright side to being here. It still is pretty far away, though. We are in the middle of podunk, and no one wants to come here!

I hope the move goes smoothly! We all are crossing our fingers for you! It is overwhelming. There is so much to take care of. If I end up moving to New York, that will be crazy! That is assuming Marvel likes my work after I get it sent.

Dear Donna,

We have been wondering where you have been! The cruise is very soon! Only 6 more days until you go sailing away!

What a bummer they decided to cut the perks of minutes! So much for a luxury vacation! :rolleyes:

Dear Susie,

What is wrong with your son? Is he okay? Did he get another nasty cold? When I was in Kindergarten, I caught everything! Hopefully, your little boy will feel better soon!

Were you able to get a hold of anyone at Foresight? I know you had a situation with the detoxing over the weekend. I hope you got that straightened out. Those situations can be so perplexing. Until I figure something out, it drives me crazy!

You made a good point! What are we whining about? You are all the way across the ocean! That is a great idea! You can be our very own Ambassador!

Sincerely,

Jin

confusedks Enthusiast

Hello,

I have a favor to ask all of you. I need to prepare some info on Celiac for my 504 meeting tomorrow. Does anyone have any good sited info that I can give to the panel of people? I also am looking for something that talks about glutening in general, so they know that when I am glutened I need to stay home, but some sort of scientificness that backs it up. Thank you for any help!!

Kassandra

jerseyangel Proficient
Dear Patti,

I want to be there to meet Andrea, too! Indiana is sort of halfway between everything. That is one bright side to being here. It still is pretty far away, though. We are in the middle of podunk, and no one wants to come here!

I hope the move goes smoothly! We all are crossing our fingers for you! It is overwhelming. There is so much to take care of. If I end up moving to New York, that will be crazy! That is assuming Marvel likes my work after I get it sent.

Yea--I would love to be able to have a weekend where we could all somehow meet face to face. If I ever win the lottery, it's gonna happen :D

Thanks for your good wishes--we're about ready to go. Lots of annoying details, but I'm sure it will all go as planned.

Good luck with Marvel--they'd be crazy not to be impressed by your work. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Archived