Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:01 PM

Carla, I continue to be jealous! :lol:

Maybe sometime my time will come...

Sherry
4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#33287 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 08:02 PM

I am having some "technical difficulties" with my body.

Because of my body's inabilty to clear/process stress hormones efficiently.....I definately have more issues when I'm under any stress. My bucket becomes full and as a result my sensitivities increase.

I'm pretty good at avoiding stressful situations and I dont allow myself to get upset over trivial things. For the most part things are stable and I can tolerate more foods when my bucket is not full.

Problem is...the "stress" doesnt have to be caused by terrible things. Since I'm a shy person by nature (until I get to know someone) I can get a little bit stressed by being around new people or if I'm a little bit nervous because I "like" someone. :ph34r:

So yeah...its not a problem if I *know* someone and I'm totally comfortable.....but just trying to get to know someone....with being shy, nervous, etc....it does increase the stress enough that I can sometimes feel it.

OMG....how the heck will I ever get to go out with someone if I react to own shyness?? :blink: :rolleyes:

This is a big issue for me right now....I'm not liking it at all. :angry:

Obviously, my genetics have always been the same....and so I probably at times have always had more of these chemicals circulating then say a person who can break them down more efficiently. Thinking back it does seem like I can associate extremely uncomfortable moments, times of feeling very shy, or stressful situations with feeling somewhat "off".

Its just that now it doesnt take much to start feeling "off". Damn....it sucks to be shy!

Carla....yeah....count me in as far as the jealousy goes!!

...and if you dont have to deal with symptoms from shyness then I'm even MORE jealous. :P
Do you think there is a treatment to help me with this?? :lol:
Rachel

#33288 mftnchn

mftnchn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 08:14 PM

Rachel,

I wonder if any of the relaxation type things would help? Anything that would be calming might be helpful. Also I wonder if any of the "tapping" that Dr. E uses might help, like the EFT stuff we talked about before too.

I'm thinking especially of the EFT where you think about the situation that is stressful (i.e. shyness) and then do series of tapping. You say these various things to yourself as you tap. You can download that material, the whole manual.

Sherry
4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

#33289 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 08:37 PM

Rachel,

I wonder if any of the relaxation type things would help? Anything that would be calming might be helpful. Also I wonder if any of the "tapping" that Dr. E uses might help, like the EFT stuff we talked about before too.

I'm thinking especially of the EFT where you think about the situation that is stressful (i.e. shyness) and then do series of tapping. You say these various things to yourself as you tap. You can download that material, the whole manual.

Sherry

I think any type of relaxation type thing would probably help. I'm not stressed out thinking about it though.....only when I'm confronted with something that provokes that shyness.

I'm kind of thinking that if I start doing the tapping technique in order to relieve the stress.....people will think I'm sort of "odd". :lol:

Well....not that people dont think I'm odd already :P ....but yeah...that would definately add to it! :lol:

I think it might relax me...but I think it would also scare everyone away. :ph34r:

Sheeeesh....whats a girl to do? Dang broken body! :rolleyes:

I think if my body can start functioning properly without all of these imbalances.....it wont be as much of an issue. Hopefully, some of this will improve when I address them. I totally want to be able to go out and not worry about this type of thing.

No wonder I've never liked to date! I've never actually dated. I just end up in relationships without ever really going through the whole dating process. That stuff stresses me out!
Rachel

#33290 mftnchn

mftnchn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:19 AM

Actually you don't have to do it right when it happens in front of anyone. Just later, think of the situation and follow the manual. Keep doing it daily until you notice that the problem stops.

#33291 NoGluGirl

NoGluGirl

Slayer Spice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:51 AM

Dear Carla,
That is so wonderful about your improvement! :D We are all so happy for you! So, what is it like to be among the living again? You and Kassandra are inspirations to us all. The progress you both have made during the past year is truly astounding.

I sure would not mind going to Germany for treatment if affordability was not an issue. Did you know Homeopathy began there? Germans did not just create good beer and kuchen. Speaking of kuchen, I miss eating that! :( I wish I could have been able to use my computer when Rachel went, because I could have helped with some basic vocabulary.

Dear Donna,
You are right. ERCP is a type of endoscopic procedure. It actually combines endoscopic and X-ray diagnostics. I found out there is a new non-invasive form called MRCP. I am going to do more research on it, since perhaps this may be helpful in the future to be certain nothing is amiss with my bile duct or sphincter. ;)

Yes, those Mucinex commercials are just slightly disgusting. However, at least it is not nearly as horrid as that commercial showing the fat in a smoker's lungs! :o They should really place a graphic warning on that for those of us with sqeamish tendencies. Another important consideration is that children could be traumatized by seeing that. It appears the networks are editing out the less offensive items more, and exposing us to the wrong images.

There is not a single safe place in this house for gluten-free food preparation. I have no idea what to do. People are always fingering things and putting items from the crumb-filled floor on my table! :angry: :( How am I ever going to heal this way? I would think the health department or Adult Protective Services would have to help me since the diet is essential to recovery.

I do not blame you for being careful about the store-bought Jell-O. Chemicals are really loaded in it. Being allergic to dyes makes it a terrible idea for me. Making your own is probably not too difficult. You can even make it healthier by substituting agar-agar for the gelatin, and using fruit juice without added sugar! :)

Dear Sherry,
Sometimes you have to take a large amount of vitamins in order to absorb enough to help. Dr. D is having me start out slowly with everything and build up. I told him, I do not think my body likes the multi-vitamin for some reason. Chlorophyll can be used to pull out toxins, and that is what I am thinking may be why my colon does not like it. My upper tract was not fond of it, either. Taking more than one daily is asking for trouble.

EFT sounds interesting. Can it be used for anger? I need all of the help I can get in that department. Do you have a link? If so, it would be greatly appreciated.

Dear Rachel,
The shyness you describe is what I was like when I was younger. They say Celiacs are prone to it. All of the sudden, I went from being an outgoing child to the exact opposite. As a teenager, I became so insecure and rarely spoke to anyone in class. Suddenly, I became this person who clammed up.

Now people have a difficult time shutting me up. After I became ill and experienced so many bad things, I realized I do not have to let the world crap on me. What a revelation! I still tend to bottle my feelings up until they explode, though. I have never liked anyone seeing me cry or get upset. Anger is the only emotion I openly express.

People often see me as stand-offish. I am just not a huggy person. It is odd for me, unless it is someone I know well. Mom said she does not understand why my brother and I are like this. Saying I love you is weird for me, too. I suppose it is due to the experiences with family. Those words just do not mean much no matter how often they are said sometimes. Unless words are followed by actions, they typically are not that useful.

Sincerely,
Jin
Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985
Asthma - 1994
Ovarian Cyst - May 1999
Anemia - 2000
4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000
Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative
Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy
Fibromyalgia - June 2001
IBS - June 2001
Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.
Thyroid Disease - August 2004
Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

#33292 rinne

rinne

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:02 AM

Donna and Carla, so good to hear that you are both doing well. :) Just popped in for a moment, hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving. :)
A family with Celiac disease, two brothers and two sisters.

Lyme Disease, Diagnosis October 19, 2006

May 2006 - December 2008 Gluten and Dairy Free

December 2008, while seeing improvement on the gluten free diet, I did not recover and so in December of 2008 began the SCD and now have hope for recovery.

#33293 nora_n

nora_n

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:42 AM

I even ran across some EFT videos on youtube. i do it sometimes. Free tutorials on some websites, like emofree.com, and mercola.

I ordered the vivitex buff (biophoton fabric) and it said to start with one hour a day, and I picked it up from the post office on saturday, and used it more than an hour, and I became dizzy...good thing it was during the weekend, and that they warned me. I used it on my head, and on lower back as it was hurting.

nora
gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.
daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.
non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5
Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet
Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

#33294 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:55 AM

Actually you don't have to do it right when it happens in front of anyone. Just later, think of the situation and follow the manual. Keep doing it daily until you notice that the problem stops.

Sherry, I'm gonna check out the YouTube instructional videos Nora mentioned and see if I can figure it out. :)

Oh yeah...this might sound weird and I'm not sure if its anything like EFT but I do notice that I sometimes tap on my temples. For some reason it makes me feel better and I find that I can focus better when I'm putting some type of pressure on my temples or between my eyes.

Usually I'm just applying pressure rather than tapping...but for whatever reason it helps. I was almost constantly doing this back when I was alot worse off. It drove my mom crazy.....she hated watching me do that because it obviously wasnt "normal" and it made her more aware that I wasnt feeling well.

I dont do it as often now....I only notice that I do it when the inflammation in my head is increased.

I also feel better with a baseball hat on because it apply's constant pressure at the temples.

Hmmm.....what does it all mean??? :unsure:
Rachel

#33295 aprilh

aprilh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:10 AM

Problem is...the "stress" doesnt have to be caused by terrible things. Since I'm a shy person by nature (until I get to know someone) I can get a little bit stressed by being around new people or if I'm a little bit nervous because I "like" someone. :ph34r:

So yeah...its not a problem if I *know* someone and I'm totally comfortable.....but just trying to get to know someone....with being shy, nervous, etc....it does increase the stress enough that I can sometimes feel it.

OMG....how the heck will I ever get to go out with someone if I react to own shyness?? :blink: :rolleyes:

This is a big issue for me right now....I'm not liking it at all. :angry:

Obviously, my genetics have always been the same....and so I probably at times have always had more of these chemicals circulating then say a person who can break them down more efficiently. Thinking back it does seem like I can associate extremely uncomfortable moments, times of feeling very shy, or stressful situations with feeling somewhat "off".

Its just that now it doesnt take much to start feeling "off". Damn....it sucks to be shy!

Carla....yeah....count me in as far as the jealousy goes!!

...and if you dont have to deal with symptoms from shyness then I'm even MORE jealous. :P
Do you think there is a treatment to help me with this?? :lol:

Rachel,

I'm like this too! Not as bad as before...i guess my body is clearing stress hormones more efficiently nowadays. I used to not even be able to get the least amount of stress without having some type reaction.

That includes shy moments!!

Everyone,

I think I stressed my adrenals after moving. The next day I was sore all over and I noticed that when I would bend over and stand back up I would get very dizzy like I could pass out. I am pretty sure this is a sign of adrenal fatique. I don't understand why my adrenals are still messed up. It only really shows up like that if I work out hard or do a lot of strenuous activity.

#33296 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:29 AM

Dear Rachel,
The shyness you describe is what I was like when I was younger. They say Celiacs are prone to it. All of the sudden, I went from being an outgoing child to the exact opposite. As a teenager, I became so insecure and rarely spoke to anyone in class. Suddenly, I became this person who clammed up.

Fortunately, its only an initial shyness that I have but once I'm past that part and when I'm comfortable in my surrounding you just cant shut me up. :P

There have been times where I've felt comfortable with a person right from the start but its more common that I have to go through this annoying awkward shyness period first. :rolleyes:

Hardly anyone ever says "Oh yeah....When I first met Rachel I thought she was the nicest person!" Its almost always the opposite. :lol:

Its more like "When I first met you I thought you were so stuck-up and rude....you never said hi....you were so unfriendly and you only talked to certain people." So thats the impression that most people get initially. If someone makes the effort to talk to me then I will usually start to open up and feel more comfortable. I'm just not usually the one to ever approach someone and start a coversation...I never do that on my own.

Fortunately, some people are persistant.....otherwise I dont think I would ever have any friends at all! :lol:

Once past the initial shyness I'm pretty outgoing, I'm opinionated (just as I am here :P ), I dont really hold anything back, I'm definately a "huggy" type, I dont mind saying "I love you" and I dont have alot of insecurities.

I'm not sure why I have such a huge issue with initial shyness though. I also would have a hard time adjusting to a new environment.....like if I switched jobs or something. Being in a new environment, with new people can be a huge stress for me. :(

If I could change one thing about myself it would probably be that. Well actually that would be the second thing I'd "fix"....first I would have to "fix" my body. :P
Rachel

#33297 confusedks

confusedks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:46 AM

Hello everyone!

Just a quick update...I got a job and was working full time, but only for 2 weeks. It was a lot for me to do, but I made it through and I'm feeling pretty good. I got a cold from the lady I was working for, so that knocked me down a little bit. That was really hard because I was told to be in bed and that triggers SO much old stuff from being so sick for so long!!!

I'd say I'm at 85-90% right now. I had quite the stressful Thanksgiving, so that took a little out of me!! :rolleyes: I'm STILL dealing with a lot of emotional stuff which seems to be the biggest answer for me in terms of my health problems. I have gained a bit of weight which as much as I didn't want to, I really needed it. I lost a ton of weight after my GB surgery...about a pound a day for about a week to 2 weeks.

It has been the greatest gift to be able to do normal things and not be exhausted. I'm off IV Rocephin, and on only 3 "killing" meds. I hope to get off more of them soon, but I'm not going to push my luck quite yet. I'm off of everything for sleep...I don't even take anything homeopathic. I fall asleep and stay asleep for about 7-9 hours and I feel rested! That is the first time in my LIFE that has happened. :)

I got my GED and passed it...actually did very well on it. I'm going to start with just one class in February to see how I do. I'm also looking now for part time work, about 20 hours a week. I'm taking a cake decorating class once a week which I LOVE!!! :P It's so much fun!

It's with great pleasure I say all of this because this time last year I didn't think I'd ever make it to another Thanksgiving. :) :D

I hope everyone is doing well on their path to recovery!!! :wub:
Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007
Gluten Free- May 2007
Soy Free- August 2007
Sugar Free- January 2008
Starch Free- January 2008
Egg Free (again!)- February 2008
Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

#33298 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:48 AM

Rachel,

I'm like this too! Not as bad as before...i guess my body is clearing stress hormones more efficiently nowadays. I used to not even be able to get the least amount of stress without having some type reaction.

That includes shy moments!!

April,

OMG.....I can remember during the first couple years that I was sick I would seriously break out in a SWEAT if someone was trying to talk to me. It was shyness to the EXTREME! :blink:

Also, I would feel hot flashes all through my body. Its no wonder I kind of withdrew from everything! I couldnt even TALK to people without reacting. :rolleyes:

I think the severity of these reactions are 100% related to my body's ability to detoxify as well as how full my bucket is at the time. If my bucket is already overflowing (or about to overfow)...then forget it...I'm going to have issues with the "shy moments" for sure.

Extreme shyness is actually a symptom of mercury toxicity. Its listed on almost every list as a common symptom among people with heavy mercury burdens.

I would avoid contact with new people simply because it made me feel physically uncomfortable.

I think I'm doing alot better now but every once in awhile I will still experience the hot flash if someone I dont know starts talking to me. A few months ago when someone that I'm attracted to (but never really talk to) got too close to me (as in invading my space :lol: ) I totally broke out in a BIG sweat. I thought I might pass out...I had to go outside for fresh air. :ph34r:

On that particular day I had ate some bad foods for lunch. :rolleyes:

If I ever go on a date (and I hope I never have to :lol: ) I will have to make sure that I dont eat ANYTHING bad for like a week in advance....and I'll avoid ALL stress. Maybe then I'll be able to make it through the date without having major reactions to the situation itself. :rolleyes:
Rachel

#33299 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:04 PM

It's with great pleasure I say all of this because this time last year I didn't think I'd ever make it to another Thanksgiving. :) :D

I hope everyone is doing well on their path to recovery!!! :wub:

Kassandra, this is AWESOME!!! I'm so happy that you are doing so well!

I hope you continue to have the BEST holiday season. Gaining weight is not such a bad thing....its another sign that you are improving. YAY! :)

I think that undeniably you are living proof of how much the unresolved emotional issues can block us and hold us back. Its amazing how much ground you've gained since addressing those things.

I'm happy to hear that you are accomplishing things....no doubt you will continue to do great things. You still have so much life in front of you and all of this has only made you a stronger person.

Congrats on the GED, the job and YAY for doing fun things. Cake decorating does seem like fun. I go "visit" the bakery dept. at work. I tell them everything I want to eat when I'm all better. :P I'll watch the cake decorator and I always think its so cool that she makes all of these fancy decorations with ease. She'll be talking to me and during our converstation she's decorated a whole cake and it looks AWESOME! I think it would be a fun thing to learn.

Thanks for the update. I know that you are heading towards making all of your dreams come true. I'm so glad you got to this point already and are still able to enjoy being a teenager. :)
Rachel

#33300 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:28 PM

Paula,

Going back to your soy/estrogen question. I definately think if the body is already having elevated levels of estrogen you may find that soy makes it worse.

Its just like anything else. Our bodies dont do well with too much of anything...including hormones....and especially if its unable to eliminate/detox them efficiently.

So far from what I can tell from my genetic results I have reduced ability to break down estrogen. I've never been tested to see if I'm estrogen dominant....but I would assume that I am. Of all of the top allergens/intolerances......soy is the worst for me.

Its the only one that I completely avoid. I do eat gluten, only small amounts of dairy, not much corn and NO soy at all.

I get major symptoms from soy......its high in certain chemicals that I cant handle but I think the added estrogen is what really pushes me over the edge. I have pretty much ZERO tolerance for soy....but I dont worry about soy lecithin.
Rachel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: