This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

key Contributor

Thanks Molly

Sounds like you have a difficult diet to follow. What do you eat mainly??

Monica

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
danikali Enthusiast

Okay, as I'm reading this, Rachel, I'm thinking, what if this is the reason that I am still having some problems? It's interesting that vitamans have corn in them. When I first started the SCDiet, I wasn't taking any vitamans, and I felt like a million bucks, and the bloating was gone. Well, since after the intro. diet, I started back on the vitamans. And since those first few days without them, I haven't had one day where I wasn't bloated, no matter what I eat. Even if I have no pain, or very mild pain, I am bloated. Everytime I read about being bloated, they always list 'food intolerance' but since I've been eliminating so many things, I'm thinking, I'm now realizing it could be something in my vitamans. I take a lot. Cranberry pills, calcium, mag./ multi and probiotic. Maybe there is something in there that is bothering me......(possibly corn?) I also know that when I have salt, my stomach blows up like a balloon, and there is corn in salt. So maybe just maybe...........I'm going to take the vitamans out of my diet and see what happens there. Thanks for posting this Rachel. You have been helping me a lot these past few months, and everytime I feel like I'm getting closer and closer to feeling 100% everyday. THANK YOU!

Green12 Enthusiast

I'm looking into this corn issue and I agree Rachel, it seems very intimidating and a difficult task.

I am going to take a small steps approach. I would like to first clean out my big offenders for a trial run and see what happens. This for me is dairy, sugar, eggs, soy, grains, as well as gluten of course- I have never eliminated all of these foods at the same time for any duration so I am curious to see what the results will be. My diet will basically be meats, veggies, and fruit for a little while.

About the beer, I came across something yesterday in my corn research and now I can't find it. I thought I read that Beck's Beer was corn-free. Some people were thanking God that at least they could have their beer and stay corn-free. For some reason Beck's stands out as the brand, but don't quote me on that.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Dani,

I definately wouldnt worry about taking supplements, vitamins and all that right now since you still have problems. I learned my lesson about that last summer. I just kept wasting my money because everything I tried made me worse. I am taking one digestive enzyme now which does seem to be helping...its expensive so before I buy another bottle I'm gonna check on the corn status but I *think* its corn-free.

I also need to find out more about dairy because from what I've read on the corn forum...most dairy is not corn-free. All of the cheeses contain salt. I think they have a delphi list of corn-free foods...I gotta check it out. I need to test myself with dairy because maybe I dont actually have a problem with it. First I need to get myself to be symptom-free though. Eliminating corn makes gluten and casein intolerance seem like a walk in the park. I still cant believe how much stuff has corn...even some milks arent safe.

I seem to be feeling better but am still finding corn in stuff so not totally free of it yet but hey its only been 2 days. I need to find one thing to drink other than water....I think alot of the box milks are out but I gotta look at the list. I need something to use for baking. Everytime I tried making stuff before I would get reactions and end up with blood blisters in my mouth. Now that I'm baking w/out any corn products...there are no reactions and no blisters. Last week I ate alot of stuff with corn in it and I was dizzy, my heart was beating like crazy, I got the blisters and I was painfully bloated. It was hurting to breathe and I got acid reflux really bad. Now I'm eating everything the same minus the corn and I'm fine. Also after months of bowel problems all of a sudden I'm normal and going 3 x a day. So bizzare.

Also I'm eating tons of chocolate and pasta and potatoes and all this stuff that would have bothered me before. I've gained 8 lbs. in only a few days! I am totally stoked but if it ends up being corn...the diet is gonna be super hard.

I'm looking into this corn issue and I agree Rachel, it seems very intimidating and a difficult task.

I am going to take a small steps approach. I would like to first clean out my big offenders for a trial run and see what happens. This for me is dairy, sugar, eggs, soy, grains, as well as gluten of course- I have never eliminated all of these foods at the same time for any duration so I am curious to see what the results will be. My diet will basically be meats, veggies, and fruit for a little while.

About the beer, I came across something yesterday in my corn research and now I can't find it. I thought I read that Beck's Beer was corn-free. Some people were thanking God that at least they could have their beer and stay corn-free. For some reason Beck's stands out as the brand, but don't quote me on that.

I've been eating only meat, veggies and fruit for a long time so I've already been totally free of the other offenders for long periods of time. I recently tested dairy with bad results but it could have been a corn issue.

I havent touched gluten in a year so if I'm truelly gluten intolerant Beck's beer wont be an option. It seems like beer isnt anything I'll be having in the near future....if ever. :(

Green12 Enthusiast
I also need to find out more about dairy because from what I've read on the corn forum...most dairy is not corn-free. All of the cheeses contain salt. I think they have a delphi list of corn-free foods...I gotta check it out. I need to test myself with dairy because maybe I dont actually have a problem with it. First I need to get myself to be symptom-free though. Eliminating corn makes gluten and casein intolerance seem like a walk in the park. I still cant believe how much stuff has corn...even some milks arent safe.

Rachel, the information I read on the Avoiding Corn page at delphi talked about how tricky dairy products are. For example, I guess the packaging they put the cheese in is treated with corn starch, or a corn derivative, to make it easier to package. From what I understand the packaging is pretty much a national standard, from company to company.

That is a little scary to me. The idea that corn is in everything, and I mean everything, it is no wonder so many people are having corn problems.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel-

Have you had allergy tests done? I have and corn never showed up but your symptoms and story is so similar to yours its almost frightening. I also considered corn more or less safe but I ma not gettting better so maybe its not. Like I said I was just wondering if you had had food allergy tests done and whether or not corn showed up.

Miamia

I've had allergy tests last year and corn didnt show up so I doubt its a true allergy. True allergies are pretty easy to pinpoint and this has been anything but easy to figure out so I'm thinking its more likely an intolerance.

covsooze Enthusiast

Rachel - I just wanted to say that I'm glad you finally think you're onto something with the corn - although sad for you also that it's something that's so tough to eliminate. I've found enormous encouragement from your posts and I really hope you get the answers you deserve B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flagbabyds Collaborator
Thanks Molly

Sounds like you have a difficult diet to follow. What do you eat mainly??

Monica

I'm eating a lot of beans, and rice, beef, and fruits and veggies. It is hard at school, but it is better than being in the ER all the time!

Green12 Enthusiast
I'm eating a lot of beans, and rice, beef, and fruits and veggies. It is hard at school, but it is better than being in the ER all the time!

You seem like the corn free expert! Not by choice, but at least you know what to eat for you not to be sick, so good for you.

I have a question, what would a health food junkie eat to stay corn-free? I generally don't like to eat anything processed or in a package with lots of ingredients you can't pronounce, except for the occasional indulgence, but for the most part my diet is lots of fresh food in it's natural state. When I go to the corn allergy websites the safe food lists seem to be mostly packaged, canned items.

Any suggestions?

Ursa Major Collaborator
You seem like the corn free expert! Not by choice, but at least you know what to eat for you not to be sick, so good for you.

I have a question, what would a health food junkie eat to stay corn-free? I generally don't like to eat anything processed or in a package with lots of ingredients you can't pronounce, except for the occasional indulgence, but for the most part my diet is lots of fresh food in it's natural state. When I go to the corn allergy websites the safe food lists seem to be mostly packaged, canned items.

Any suggestions?

Julie, if you eat mostly fresh produce, you don't even have to worry about corn! The corn allergy websites list only the processed foods, because they are the only ones you have to worry about. If you prepare it from scratch, it only has whatever you put in it.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel - I just wanted to say that I'm glad you finally think you're onto something with the corn - although sad for you also that it's something that's so tough to eliminate. I've found enormous encouragement from your posts and I really hope you get the answers you deserve B)

Thanks for the support Susie...I really appreciate it! :)

If I have to avoid corn...then thats what I have to do. I'm not gonna complain about it because there are so much worse things that could happen in life. It will be hard to learn whats safe and whats not but once I know for sure what I can eat it will be a breeze. Because I've been on strict elimination diets for over a year now I just get excited when I find something that I can eat....it doesnt even matter what it is as long as I can eat it!

Rachel, the information I read on the Avoiding Corn page at delphi talked about how tricky dairy products are. For example, I guess the packaging they put the cheese in is treated with corn starch, or a corn derivative, to make it easier to package. From what I understand the packaging is pretty much a national standard, from company to company.

That is a little scary to me. The idea that corn is in everything, and I mean everything, it is no wonder so many people are having corn problems.

Wow, I didnt know that about the packaging. I did read something about the milk cartons having corn or something like that. It seemed kind of strange to me....I have to go back and read. There is a lot of info on that site but I havent had that much time yet.

Green12 Enthusiast
Julie, if you eat mostly fresh produce, you don't even have to worry about corn! The corn allergy websites list only the processed foods, because they are the only ones you have to worry about. If you prepare it from scratch, it only has whatever you put in it.

Hi Ursula, I guess I am confused because I thought I read fruit and vegetables are treated with corn waxes and oils, and chicken is washed with a corn acid rinse. It was the hidden sources or added sources to the natural foods that made me think what in the world would I eat if I did go corn-free?!?!?

flagbabyds Collaborator

I'm fine w/ fresh fruits and veggies from the farmers market. And orgainc free range meats. And whole foods beans in a jar!! oh they are so much better than the ones in the cans. I've got a pretty severe corn allergy, so they should be fine with you too.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Well apparantly I spoke too soon cuz now I have huge blood blisters in my mouth and I'm having a reaction to something. It happened when I was eating Perky O's cereal but I'm not sure if blisters can show up that fast. I ate alot of it yesterday too...I just bought it for the first time. Its not from a dedicated facility so cross contamination w/ both gluten and corn are possibilities...it also contains salt so if its iodized salt it could be a corn problem. The other possibility is that I was wearing rubber gloves w/ powder inside...I'm pretty sure the powder is from corn and I might not have washed my hands before eating chocolate chips and the cereal...I was eating it dry out of the box. Now I have acid reflux again. :(

I was gonna wait and do a dairy challenge when all my symptoms are gone but I guess I was impatient because I just finished eating half a carton of HagnDaz strawberry ice-cream. :ph34r: I'm going to bed now and I'm a little scared of what I might wake up to. Hopefully I wont be totally swollen and achey with a migraine. I want so badly to still eat dairy.

Matilda Enthusiast

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Matilda, I have seen his website but just skimmed over it...its alot to read. Since so many of us have problems with these 4 foods it makes sense that gluten would be the underlying cause. I really dont care about staying gluten-free at all but I just dont want to be off everything unless I totally have to. I didnt have any problems from my corn-free ice cream last night which is the first time I've had ice-cream in 3 years without incidence. I'm definately not gonna push my luck by going overboard...I just want to be able to handle small amounts for baking. Since I seem to be sensitive to the smallest bit of corn I'm wondering if that could just be my main intolerance. Does having a corn intolerance really *have* to mean I'm intolerant to all the sticky protiens?

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Was the "corn free icecream" any good? what kind was it? Ever since you started this thread, I've been overly conscious of the CORN in my family food. I've been looking into the meditarranian diet. That might appeal to you, Rachel. It's really healthy, corn free as far as I can tell. The kids all took fruit and nuts to school for lunch today. :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Was the "corn free icecream" any good? what kind was it? Ever since you started this thread, I've been overly conscious of the CORN in my family food. I've been looking into the meditarranian diet. That might appeal to you, Rachel. It's really healthy, corn free as far as I can tell. The kids all took fruit and nuts to school for lunch today. :)

Yeah...it was good. :D

It was HagnDaz strawberry. I used to eat all the ones with lots of stuff like Ben & Jerry's chunky monkey or Phish food so in comparison this was kinda plain but other than that it was awesome! Hopefully if I'm ok with dairy I can make a banana split or a milkshake soon!

What is the mediteranean diet? I'll have to look into it.

Matilda Enthusiast

Jnkmnky Collaborator
Open Original Shared Link Here is some info. It's really healthy feeling to eat this way. We've been doing it for a few days now and I feel great. I need to lose about 15 lbs for summer, and I feel less hungry.. hey, you're always saying you need to gain.... ( <_< ) <<-- and I mean that! But anyway, it's so easy to eat these foods. Easy to prepare too. Except for fried eggs.. I did that with olive oil this morning and it wasn't pretty. Tasted great, but looked terrible. :) I'm through with Pam, though as a result of this discussion.
nikki-uk Enthusiast
Rachel, small amounts of what? Not small amounts of gluten, surely???

I think she meant corn :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel, small amounts of what? Not small amounts of gluten, surely???

Heck no!! :o

I was talking about dairy since I dont know for sure if I have a problem with it. I'm staying gluten-free regardless but will do a challenge at some point just to see what happens since all of my "glutenings" seem to have been from corn. All I have to go by as far as gluten is my Enterolab results and the fact that I have this corn intolerance out of nowhere. Something must have triggered it....staying away from gluten would probably be wise....I just dont know if I should worry about dairy at all.

Matilda Enthusiast

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Ok, I'm on a mission to go corn light and I don't know how a person actually rids their diet of corn. Good luck, Rachel. :ph34r: Today began with olive oil for frying eggs (not pretty) and just went from bad to worse. It's worse than gluten. I was aiming for "corn light" because we don't have a corn problem. But I was thinking that the over-use of corn in our diet may eventually CAUSE the problem. I got the feeling reading your posts, Rachel, that you ate a LOT of corn products in the past.... so do you feel that having a diet high in corn contributed? or do you feel that you ALWAYS might have had this as the underlying problem?

This has been a crazy year in our house with the food. Gluten is WAY easier to get rid of than soy and, let me say, soy was DIFFICULT to get rid of... but corn! :o

I also read that they're experimenting with putting lactic acid in meat to kill ecoli and some other nasty bugs. Would that mean that meat treated with lactic acid would be bad for those with dairy problems? The article was on my homepage, but my homepage doesn't let me copy/paste/or take a link with me for sharing. Very annoying. I tried to find the article which is an AP article for anyone interested, but ran out of time to find it as the kiddies wanted dinner.

Matilda Enthusiast

Archived