This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

AndreaB Contributor

Christine,

I don't have a problem with MSG, just don't like to consume it if I can avoid it. It makes it real hard when they are starting to put it in everything. Don't have the option of a garden just now. We are in a rental and would have to build a box and bring in soil. Our ground is clay and not garden friendly.

I use Lundberg Organic Long Brown Rice. I don't have a problem with vegetables as I don't have a sensitivity to MSG but have read that portabella/criminy mushrooms have high glutamates, don't know about the rest.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mango04 Enthusiast

So I've been wondering lately about those small, organic farms that deliver produce to your door each week. I'm wondering if this would be a good option for some people, since you would know exactly who is growing your produce (a small, local organic farm), and I'm thinking they would probably be able to tell you about anything that they spray on the crops. Then again, you don't get to choose what you get each week, so if you're allergic to any veggies it might not be the best thing.

Also, I use coconut oil on my skin. I've never used olive oil, so I don't know if it works better, but coconut oil is a really powerful antioxidant and it makes my skin really really soft (and doesn't irritate it at all).

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I'm going to the doctors today. A couple months back I had a CT scan that showed a cyst on my ovary. The GI told me they are common and usually go away on their own but that I need to have it checked by my regular doc.

I wasnt too worried about it and kind of lagged on the follow up cuz I've been busy thinking about corn and MSG. :rolleyes:

The other day I was reading on the MSG message board and someone posted that she had a cyst removed from her ovary and her sensitivity to MSG improved dramatically. :blink:

You wanna know how fast I picked up the phone and scheduled this appt.??

Anyways I dont really think the cyst is causing all this but at least I stopped procrastinating about it. :)

So I've been wondering lately about those small, organic farms that deliver produce to your door each week. I'm wondering if this would be a good option for some people, since you would know exactly who is growing your produce (a small, local organic farm), and I'm thinking they would probably be able to tell you about anything that they spray on the crops. Then again, you don't get to choose what you get each week, so if you're allergic to any veggies it might not be the best thing.

Mango, my friend was just telling me about this. I had never heard of such a thing. She gave me a phone # to call about it but I havent called yet so dont know the details...just that they deliver to your door.

AndreaB Contributor

Rachel,

I would have made an appoinment pronto too. You never know, it may help. :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel,

I would have made an appoinment pronto too. You never know, it may help. :)

Yeah...I'm sure stranger things have happened. That would be so crazy though...I dont know how it could be possible but if it helps me get better I'm all for getting the thing taken off...like yesterday!

Hmmm...how do they take these things off anyway? :unsure:

AndreaB Contributor
Hmmm...how do they take these things off anyway? :unsure:

Rachel,

I assume they use a laser. Not really sure how those things work.

dlp252 Apprentice

The way I look at it, is that if there is anything foreign in the body like a cyst, a tumor, or in my case an enlarged ampulla, lol, it has to interfere with SOMETHING in the way the body normally does its thing. It may not be the cause directly but if the body is feeding that, it's taking away from something else. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, lol. :lol: Glad you made the appointment Rachel. I had fibroids and I know that if I only had a couple and they were small, they could have done it with a laser and they could have gone in through the vagina. (I had more than 20 big ones so had to have a full blown abdominal cut--don't wait til it gets big, lol).

I like the idea of the produce delivered, lol.

I also like the idea of coconut oil...I have some of that too. Maybe tonight I'll give that a try.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
I'm going to the doctors today. A couple months back I had a CT scan that showed a cyst on my ovary. The GI told me they are common and usually go away on their own but that I need to have it checked by my regular doc.

I wasnt too worried about it and kind of lagged on the follow up cuz I've been busy thinking about corn and MSG. :rolleyes:

The other day I was reading on the MSG message board and someone posted that she had a cyst removed from her ovary and her sensitivity to MSG improved dramatically. :blink:

My gosh! I had an ultrasound done 2 years ago prior to a procedure I had done. At that time, it showed that I had a small fibroid (2cm) and a cyst on my left ovary. They said it was a functional cyst, clear and would most likely go away. I had another ultrasound done last month. My fibroid has grown to 8 cm (!) and the left ovary is actually larger than the right one because of cysts. I asked (several times) if they were the type to become cancerous, and was told that they were not--they were the clear, "normal" type that we produce every month. I have to have another ultrasound in 6 months--if the fibroid has grown at all, or if my symptoms (pain) worsen, I will need to have something done. Does anyone think that this could have anything to do with my multiple food intolerances--or might it just have to do with MSG? I couldn't believe it when I read this! :o

jerseyangel Proficient

Floridian--Thanks--I never knew that! Makes perfect sense, though. What I am afraid of is that because I'm 50 :ph34r: , she will want me to have a hysterectomy. Since my condition is not life-threatening, I would rather not have something that radical done. I would have the cysts removed in a minute, though! And the fibroid, although it is in the lining of the uterus, so it would be more of a production to remove it.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Jersey, I'm not sure. I'm kind of freakin out right now. :unsure:

I have pain all the time which I thought was intestinal....it doesnt bother me as much as the pain and swelling in my head so I tend to ignore it. The past week its been more noticeable now that I've been feeling better everywhere else. Today and yesterday its hurting alot especially when I bend over. The pains been there all along...I wrote about it in my food diary a couple years back so I know its nothing new.

I asked some girls at my work where my ovaries are and I showed them where it hurt and they all said its where my ovary is. One girl told me I need to get it taken care of because they can rupture and reklease toxins and you can die from it. :blink:

She said it happened to her....the cyst ruptured, she passed out and they did emergency surgery and had to filter all her blood or something like that...because of all the toxins. She said it could definately be causing my problems....she said it could have a leak and that would cause the toxins to get into my bloodstream. Another girl told me not to listen cuz it was a bunch of BS (she's a self-declared hypochondriach so gets freaked out easily).

We asked another lady, who used to be a nurse, and she said that YES, those cysts can cause all kinds of weird things in the body and YES, they can leak.

I dont know why but the freakin thing is really aching today...I dont know why I wasnt more concerned about this sooner. Also my urine is very orange again today...I had talked about this toxic pee of mine many pages back. I was more sensitive to perfumes again today too even though I've been doin good on my diet.

I wonder if this thing could be leaking toxins so that my body cant handle the extra burden of the environmental toxins and the MSG and other toxic ingredients in food.

My doctor at the Health Now clinic always said that something was creating a toxic overload but he was thinking more about parasites or bacteria infection. I'm glad I'm going to the doctors today but I dont have the best luck with mainstream doctors. This one doesnt seem to take me serious cuz I look fine to her...she better take me serious today cuz I'm really anxious right now and I dont wanna end up having to punch her in the face. :lol::ph34r:

I will let you guys know how it goes when I get back.

Okay you guys... this I do know :) from what I've read, any type of growth on an ovary or any other gland that controls hormone levels can cause intolerances and problems with general health... for example... just in a normal female cycle you can be more susceptible to sunburn during the week before your period as the same as yeast infections during that specific time of month (hormones have a lot to do with our health).... have it removed, you might be pleasantly surprised! I had my ovarian cycts removed a few years ago... which is maybe why it only took a month for me to feel better once I was on my gluten free diet.

Hope everyone is doing well today!!

Thanks Floridian!

I wonder if this is why I get more sensitive to everything at certain times in my cycle...before my period especially.

jerseyangel Proficient

Rachel--My ovary pain always is more noticible when I'm ovulating. When my peroid starts, and for the next day or so, the pain can be intense. I mean really intense. This whole thing has made me think that maybe I shouldn't wait the 6 months. If any of that stuff is leaking into my system, I want it to stop! Good luck at the doctor today--I hope your doctor will at least consider what you have to say--I'll be anxious to hear how you do. I keep thinking that if I would just go thru menopause already, some of this crap would stop--but she did bloodwork last month also, and I'm only on the "borderline" of being menopausal--she says she can't tell how long it will be :blink:

jerseyangel Proficient
Patti,

Just have the cysts on your ovaries removed, you'll have to research because I'm just taking a guess... but I'm not sure if the uterus is in control of hormones or not... if not then don't worry about that part and just take care of the ovaries.

What gets me SO upset... that these doctors are not listening to us...

Good luck Rachel, I'll pray for you.

True--the ovaries are the part that make the hormone--I don't think the uterus does. And about the doctors not listening to us--I KNOW! Why do I have to learn all of this myself--my doctor knows I have Celiac and food intolerance--why couldn't she connect the dots? I mean geesh <_<

Oh Rachel, before I forget--how cool was it that your mom posted! She sounds great :D

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Oh Rachel, before I forget--how cool was it that your mom posted! She sounds great :D

Yeah...she's great like 99% of the time. Not so much the other 1% when she's nagging me to do the dishes. Which happens to be right now when I'm trying to type this. :P Just kidding....I couldn't ask for a better Mom. :)

I think the ovaries must control hormones. The girl who posted on the MSG site that she got better after having her cyst removed said that it was messing up her hormones and causing the sensitivities. I know my hormones have gotten screwed up this whole time and I wasted a couple of years thinking it was due to my thyroid disease.

Jersey,

I'm ovulating right now and the pain is pretty bad. This has been going on a long time cuz in my journal I wrote that I was ovulating and I was having alot of abdominal pain on my right side. This was like almost 2 years ago.

Green12 Enthusiast
Yeah...she's great like 99% of the time. Not so much the other 1% when she's nagging me to do the dishes. Which happens to be right now when I'm trying to type this. :P Just kidding....I couldn't ask for a better Mom. :)

I think the ovaries must control hormones. The girl who posted on the MSG site that she got better after having her cyst removed said that it was messing up her hormones and causing the sensitivities. I know my hormones have gotten screwed up this whole time and I wasted a couple of years thinking it was due to my thyroid disease.

Jersey,

I'm ovulating right now and the pain is pretty bad. This has been going on a long time cuz in my journal I wrote that I was ovulating and I was having alot of abdominal pain on my right side. This was like almost 2 years ago.

Hi Rachel,

I'm so sorry you are having so much pain right now. I always have really intense pain in my ovaries (ususally one side or the other each cycle) at the time of ovulation. I was told that this is common for some women.

I also was under the impression that if you get the cysts/fibroids removed they will just grow back again due to the configuration of your hormones.

I hope you get things sorted out with your Doc and you will be in my thoughts.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Well I'm back from my appt.

The doc said that the cysts come and go...like Floridian already said. She said mine was larger than most but they cant really tell anything for sure from just the one CT scan that the GI did. She tried to feel the cyst herself but couldnt...can't tell you how fun that was. :(

I have to go in for an ultrasound tomorrow. At least they dont waste time. I had elevated liver enzymes at the time of my CT scan and no reason was ever found so my doctor ordered more liver tests and hepatitis tests. I just did those....urine and blood. I was glad I was taking the urine test on a day like today when I'm having the dark urine....maybe something will show up.

I never actually saw the results that show I have elevated liver enzymes so I dont know how high they were. They were ordered by the GI a couple months ago. I just mentioned it tonite to my doctor and when she looked it up on her computer she had a more concerned look on her face after seeing the results. Thats when she ordered the additional liver tests. The look on her face kind of worried me but I guess I'll just wait until the results come back. Also I think I was taking Metronidazole around the time the enymes were elevated so maybe that could have caused it. :unsure:

jerseyangel Proficient

Rachel--Good that at least they can do your ultrasound tomorrow--that was fast! Trying to hold all that water is a good trick--good luck with that :D . The thing I don't understand is that they say these cysts come and go. I was told that, too. But you have had yours a long time--and so have I. Unless we keep getting new ones that don't go away. I'm confused about that. But I'm confused by a lot of things :huh: . Anyway, you'll do fine tomorrow, and try not to worry about the liver tests--you're off that med, and you have eliminated so much of what was making you so sick. I'm thinking positively for you! :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel--Good that at least they can do your ultrasound tomorrow--that was fast! Trying to hold all that water is a good trick--good luck with that :D . The thing I don't understand is that they say these cysts come and go. I was told that, too. But you have had yours a long time--and so have I. Unless we keep getting new ones that don't go away. I'm confused about that. But I'm confused by a lot of things :huh: . Anyway, you'll do fine tomorrow, and try not to worry about the liver tests--you're off that med, and you have eliminated so much of what was making you so sick. I'm thinking positively for you! :)

Thanks Jersey :)

I actually dont know if I've had the cyst a long time or not. I just know I have pain there now whereas before I got sick I never had any kind of pain or cramps...ever. I just only became aware of the cyst when they did the CT scan 2 months ago. Maybe its gone now...or maybe its bigger. Guess the ultra sound will answer that question. I am wondering about all that water though...my bladder might burst. :o

I'm not too worried about the liver because even though I had elevated enzymes everything else was normal. My liver wasnt fatty or anything which was an improvement from my previous CT scan which showed fatty liver before I went on any restricted diets.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel,

I have a good feeling for you also! I think a lot of your problems are from the cyst. I remember how sick I was before they took out mine... no matter what I'd eat or wear or smell, my whole body was full of hives for the 2 weeks waiting for the surgery, I was a mess. After the surgery I slowly got better but it did take a while. I wish I had known about the celiac at that time, my diet probably would have made things a lot easier. One more thing, your liver is an amazing thing, it will repair itself pretty fast, it probably was from the meds you were on. I thought about you all night and jumped on here early to see how things went, let us know everything that's going on, you know we're all pulling for you, your not alone!

Floridian,

Thank you so much for all the support....everyone here has been so great to me. :)

I got real happy reading your post right now....I hope you're right about the cyst....it would be such a blessing to find out *why* all this stuff is happening to me.

The girl at my work who used to be a nurse did say that once the cyst is removed it takes a little while for everything to get back to normal...it doesnt happen overnight.

Right now I'm having pain on both sides. Yesterday it was mainly my right side but the doc said the cyst was on my left side. I'm a little nervous because the girl at my work said that if both ovaries are affected and the cysts are bad on both then I may not be able to have kids. That would really be devastating to me. I had started trying for a baby 3 years ago only a couple months before I got sick so everythings been on hold since then.... my relationship didnt survive either so I was hoping for a fresh start. Well....I'm not stressing over it cuz I know thats only worst case scenario and right now I just wanna find out if the cyst is still there.

The nurse already called me this morning w/ the results of my bloodwork yesterday. All the liver tests were normal and the Hepatitis tests were normal too. :)

She said my urine was too alkaline though. :unsure:

I have to look that one up. All she told me was to drink lots of cranberry juice. Obviously she wasnt paying attention yesterday when I told her I react to everythingand can only drink water. :angry:

Oh...does anyone know if a cyst can develop and stick around for this long? Its been over 3 years since I first started having symptoms.

Also the cyst was over 4 cm two months ago when they saw it. The doc said this is larger than most but do you guys know when a cyst is too big?

jerseyangel Proficient

Rachel--BIG sigh of relief about your blood work! :D That's a good question about how long the same cyst can stick around. I know I've had one for 2 years, but I really don't know if it's the same one--and if the other(s) will go away on their own. I really think I'm going to go back in and see what it would entail to have the cysts removed. The other thing is--and you probably want to know this, too is--if a cyst is removed, and a person has a tendency to have the kind that stay too long, will it just happen again? Shoot--I wish I had found all this out before I saw the doctor last month :angry: Also, I wouldn't worry about not being able to have kids because of this--I'm sure we continue to ovulate, despite the cysts. :)

jerseyangel Proficient

Floridian--you are so right! I forgot, but years ago, my SIL had part of her ovary removed and it was still able to function.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Jersey, thats a good question. Floridian said hers hasnt come back since getting it removed...same with my co-worker who had hers rupture. She's been fine since. I will ask my doc though when I get the results of the ultrasound....I hope they come back as quick as the bloodwork did. Cant they see everything right then and there with the ultrasound? Will they tell me today? :unsure:

jerseyangel Proficient
Jersey, thats a good question. Floridian said hers hasnt come back since getting it removed...same with my co-worker who had hers rupture. She's been fine since. I will ask my doc though when I get the results of the ultrasound....I hope they come back as quick as the bloodwork did. Cant they see everything right then and there with the ultrasound? Will they tell me today? :unsure:

Usually the technician does the ultrasound, but it has to be read by a radiologist. Then the results are sent to your doctor--unless you had it right at the doctor's office. Mine was done at a separate facility and the results took less than a week--

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I'm not sure at what size they consider dangerous but I do know a cyst can be there for years and years. What that girl told you at work is WRONG.... the only way you would not be able to have children is if they removed both ovaries completely.... even my right ovary, the one that they removed the 8 cysts from and even had to take a chunk out of... was still okay and producing eggs... so don't let those "Debbie Downers" scare you. And congradulations on your liver.... I had a feeling it was going to be okay! Oh and one more thing, you did know that untreated Celiac can stop you from getting pregnant until you become gluten free for a while, so..... cut yourself some slack and relax, I'm sure you will be doing wonderful soon!

YAY....thats good news...and a big sigh of relief. :)

I was never diagnosed w/ Celiac... gluten intolerant yes but Celiac no. I dont think I could have it cuz I dont have the main genes for developing it but I have 2 gluten sensitivity genes. Even if I got better and could tolerate gluten I dont think I'll be eating any....I dont know if it had any role in all this happening to me but I dont want to take chances. I just want to be able to eat a normal gluten-free diet w/ ice cream, gluten-free pizza and popcorn. :D

Usually the technician does the ultrasound, but it has to be read by a radiologist. Then the results are sent to your doctor--unless you had it right at the doctor's office. Mine was done at a separate facility and the results took less than a week--

Bummer...I'm sooo impatient these days.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
You know Rachel, just in this last month I can see in your personality that you are getting better, if you read from your first post until now you can see a big improvement, you are happier and stronger!

You can really tell a difference in my posts? My mom and others keep telling me I've improved alot and my mood is much better. Its harder for me to notice the changes though....I just believe what they are telling me. I DO know that this week I've been sooo happy and upbeat....Its like nothing can bring me down.

Well....actually a slice of pizza could bring me down in a New York minute but thats why I stay away. :D

AndreaB Contributor

Rachel,

Good luck with the ultrasound today. I've had three because of pregnancies and the full bladder is DEFINATELY uncomfortable. You'll do fine though!! :D

My daughter had an ultrasound in March when they were trying to figure out what was wrong with her. It was done at the hospital and we got the results back that night I think, maybe the next morning. I think they were looking for appendix problems. We didn't have it done until 5:30 pm I think. It turns out she had something called Henoch-Schonlein Purpura. Now we also found out through enterolab that all of us but my husband have active IgA for gluten. My husband has two celiac genes though. My baby I'm assuming will have the same problems since he breaks out in eczema if I have soy or gluten (very sensitive to gluten). Now we just have to make Grandma understand the importance of no gluten whatsoever for the kids. :unsure:

And yes, I agree with the others, your posts have been pretty upbeat. You can tell you're excited about all you've learned and the pieces of the puzzle starting to come together. Sounds like this cyst could very well be another piece. Thank you for sharing with us! :P

Archived