12 replies to this topic

#1 VydorScope

VydorScope

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:48 AM

Yes, I know Kraft is cool company, and I know you can just read the ingredients... but somthing got me durring what should be a gluten-free and DF Easter meal... and I was wondering if maybe I am missing something in the indgredients since this was about the only "new" product that I can think of. Anyone know if this si gluten-free and DF from experence?

- Vincent -

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:53 AM

I'm not sure about the dairy part, but it is definitely gluten free. I use it all the time.......

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#3 tiffjake

tiffjake

Life is good....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:22 AM

Yes, I know Kraft is cool company, and I know you can just read the ingredients... but somthing got me durring what should be a gluten-free and DF Easter meal... and I was wondering if maybe I am missing something in the indgredients since this was about the only "new" product that I can think of. Anyone know if this si gluten-free and DF from experence?

Just a thought....because I got sick when I *knew* I shouldn't....are you sure it was a gluten reaction, and not a reaction to bad lettuce or a stomach bug? Maybe you got the brain fog or some other symptom that you KNOW has to do with gluten, but I just want to pose that question. I am so quick to blame gluten, but I think I actually got sick from bad lettuce last week....and all of the work I do to avoid gluten!
EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes
DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005
Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.
THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

#4 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:22 AM

Catalina Dressing should be dairy free. This link says that the dressing is gluten and dairy free, but the list is Canadian: http://www.kraftcana...ocs/KLG_all.pdf
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#5 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:25 AM

Catalina Dressing should be dairy free. This link says that the dressing is gluten and dairy free, but the list is Canadian: http://www.kraftcana...ocs/KLG_all.pdf

Okay thanks Carrie! SO it was either CC someplace, or unrelated to what I ate. Gotta love these easy defititive answers! :)

BTW Carrier, if you have tiem can you pm me or post a list of items that should be dairy free (like lays stax) that you react to? Thanks!

- Vincent -

#6 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:28 AM

Just tossing out ideas here, but... I made a totally safe easter meal and still felt kind of sick...

It's because I ate too much!

I often forget that I am human and will still feel sick from overeating :rolleyes:

I'm guessing you had a lot of casein free/gluten-free candy that day too? Maybe it was the combination and quantity of food that didn't agree with you...
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#7 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:33 AM

I have suspected Lays Stax and Lays Regular chips and possibly lundberg rice chips, although I'm not sure if my reactions to the lundberg rice chips were from gluten or dairy.

Some mistakes that I have made are eating dairy in restaurants and drinking wine with casein! I recently got sick from drinking wine that I believe contained casein.
Carrie Faith

#8 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:55 AM

Just tossing out ideas here, but... I made a totally safe easter meal and still felt kind of sick...

It's because I ate too much!

I often forget that I am human and will still feel sick from overeating :rolleyes:

I'm guessing you had a lot of casein free/gluten-free candy that day too? Maybe it was the combination and quantity of food that didn't agree with you...

Nope, ever since I broke the carb addiction yearts ago doing aktins not realy eaten much candy at all. Just does not apeal to me any more. Im droping wieht like crazy! None of my pants fit sicne going casien free.. this is not good, I was *at* my target wieght.. so cant be eating to much.

- Vincent -

#9 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:07 AM

I have suspected Lays Stax and Lays Regular chips and possibly lundberg rice chips, although I'm not sure if my reactions to the lundberg rice chips were from gluten or dairy.

Some mistakes that I have made are eating dairy in restaurants and drinking wine with casein! I recently got sick from drinking wine that I believe contained casein.

WINE???? I did notknow that wine would have casien in it??? (I dont drink wine, so I guess I dont care... but its used in cooking alot!)

- Vincent -

#10 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:42 AM

Wine? How would wine get casein in it? I thought wine was fermented fruit juice. How does milk protien get into it?<----showing my ignorance in how wine is made!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#11 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:10 AM

Wine? How would wine get casein in it? I thought wine was fermented fruit juice. How does milk protien get into it?<----showing my ignorance in how wine is made!

http://72.14.207.104...&ct=clnk

"Isinglass, made from fish swim bladders has been used for centuries, but today many more fining agents are available to the wine-maker, most commonly bentonite and casein."
"It's possible that if filtration isn't properly carried out then some aluminium could remain in the wine. Casein, a milk by-product, is also commonly used and its worth noting that many people have an allergy to casein."

http://72.14.207.104...&ct=clnk
"Wine! Casein is one of six substances that may be used to clarify wine. (Egg white is another.) If you call the vintner, ask if casein is used in the "fining process"."

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:Ph8hic...&ct=clnk&celiac disease=19
"Some wines are clarified using battery egg albumen, an agent more commonly used for red wines, or casein (milk protein). "
Carrie Faith

#12 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 09:19 AM

Didn't you eat some wheat cereal or something? Could that be what got you? (Sorry I don't think I read that whole thread so I could be missing something). But could you have had a delayed reaction to that? Sometimes when I eat something I'm intolerant to, I don't react right away to that specific food. Instead, I start reacting randomly to foods that should be perfectly safe. Just a thought.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#13 ebrbetty

ebrbetty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 11:14 AM

thanks for the link to the list, there are some gluten-free and dairy free things I had no idea I could have :D you mentioned its canadian list, does that mean I should not depend on it? I'm shopping tomorrow and wanted to buy some of the stuff on the list
thanks
~Betty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: