12 replies to this topic

#1 Moongirl

Moongirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:32 AM

So I got the letter from Fructis, because I called them about a new product they have out. The lady said that they didnt have information for it yet cause it was new, but she would let me know what she found out. Here is the letter.......
April 18, 2006

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to answer your questions about the ingredients in our products.

We do not have prepared information on the ingredient information you requested. Therefore, each inquiry is researched individually. This process may take several weeks. Be assured you will receive a response as soon as we have the information.

The following list of ingredients that are used in our products, are those that contain wheat and other grains. This list may also be used by the celiac patient to identify gluten-containing ingredients. This list gives the standard industry names for ingredients as found in the International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary.

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour
Cyclodextrin
Dextrin
Dextrin Palmitate
Hydrolyzed Oat Flour
Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein
Hydrolyzed Wheat Flour
Hydrolyzed Wheat Gluten
Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein
Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein/PVP Crosspolymer
Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch
Maltodextrin
Secale Cereale (Rye) Seed Flour
Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract
Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil
Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Gluten
Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Starch
Wheat Amino Acids
Wheat Germ Glycerides
Wheat Germamidopropalkonium Chloride
Wheat Protein
Wheatgermamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate
Yeast Extract

All the ingredients we use in a product are listed on the package or on the label of the product itself. Comparing this list with the ingredients listed on our products will help you to identify the ingredients you would like to avoid.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to respond.

Sincerely,
Linda Barton
Consumer Affairs Coordinator
Ref # 3511362

Now I thought that Maltodextrin was ok..? right? And what about Dextrin and Dextrin Palmitate? And I have no idea what this is Cyclodextrin.....Could you guys check out the list and let me know what you think. Cause here is a company that states all their shampoo and conditioners are gluten-free. Most of the products that I use are too....it would be kind of scary if they have stuff on the list that they think are not safe but really are, granted it wouldnt hurt us, but better safe then sorry.
Dx & gluten-free since 12/09/05

Positive blood and endo test
Boston, MA

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 05:56 AM

Matodextrin and dextrins are fine. The way it is worded is a little odd. However it says; " This list may also be used by the celiac patient to identify gluten-containing ingredients. This list gives the standard industry names for ingredients as found in the International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary." It doesn't mean all of them are grain carriers.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#3 PreOptMegs

PreOptMegs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:26 AM

I thought Maltodextrin could be from corn or from wheat, so it could potentially be bad????
I LOVE JESUS!

#4 tiffjake

tiffjake

Life is good....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:49 AM

Ok, so they aren't saying that these things ARE in their product...they are just letting you know what to look for?? Hm, maybe they want you to read the label yourself? Ha...Maybe I am reading this wrong....
EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes
DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005
Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.
THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

#5 StrongerToday

StrongerToday

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:15 AM

Ok, so they aren't saying that these things ARE in their product...they are just letting you know what to look for?? Hm, maybe they want you to read the label yourself? Ha...Maybe I am reading this wrong....

I agree with Tiffjake. I got the exact same list from L'oreal when I asked about a shampoo I was using. A good CYA on their part - they're saying "this is what you can't have, read your labels".
Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05
Negative Bloodwork ~
Dr. encourages me to trust my
"Gut Reaction"

#6 tiffjake

tiffjake

Life is good....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:17 AM

I agree with Tiffjake. I got the exact same list from L'oreal when I asked about a shampoo I was using. A good CYA on their part - they're saying "this is what you can't have, read your labels".

Like we need to email or call them for that.....hm....makes me want to spend my money with someone else!
EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes
DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005
Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.
THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

#7 Lillyth

Lillyth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 12:34 AM

Like we need to email or call them for that.....hm....makes me want to spend my money with someone else!

It looks to me like it may be an "auto-response", meaning that it is an automatically generated email response to your question, while they look it up in the meantime & get back to you.

At least I hope that's what it is, because if not, that means I have to stop using their products & let them know why (and I really don't want to do that because I really like their products, but I will if that was not an auto-response).

#8 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:25 AM

In the US, maltodextrin must be made with corn when talking about food products--BUT, there is no such ruling for anything other then foods, personal products, otc drugs and perscription drugs are not regulated in the same ways. Deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#9 Matilda

Matilda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:02 AM

#10 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:19 AM

The following list of ingredients that are used in our products, are those that contain wheat and other grains.

Doesn't that mean that those ingredients ARE used in their products?

#11 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:35 AM

Someone posted about Garnier Fructis somewhere else -- they told her that the shampoo and cream rinses were absolutely gluten-free, but individual styling products needed to have a phone call to the company to be sure . . . can't remember what thread it was on, but I know it was a couple of months ago . . . . Lynne
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#12 Robina

Robina

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 04:26 PM

No... it means that if the ingredients listed on the product contain any of the ingredients in the list they provided... then that particular product is not gluten free... more or less...
Now I just checked my curl cream, my volumizing spray, my quick fix hair spray and my long and strong leave in... and none of the ingredients in the list are listed on those particular products...

Doesn't that mean that those ingredients ARE used in their products?

Robin L Healey, AFPA-CPT
Venus Bodyworks Personal Training
and Lifestyle Coaching

"Ive transformed my body and others...
are you ready to transform yours?"

#13 TinkerbellSwt

TinkerbellSwt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 08:14 AM

I know maltodextrin is fine... but dextrin is too?? I didnt know that.. can someone confirm this?
Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05
son born severly premature due to
celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: