27 replies to this topic

#16 hapi2bgf

hapi2bgf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 09:04 AM

I'm the only Celiac in my family and we eat out regularly. OUtback is wonderful and the brownie is a welcome treat! I double-checked at the restaurant and it is gluten-free. I bring the gluten-free menu from the website with me and show the servers. They know nothing about it, but love that I bring it in. I've never had a problem there.

The local Mexican place is great! Very few servers speak much English so it is a known risk, but well worth it. The food is great and it's cheap too. Never had a problem and it's a great place for good drinks!

Chili's was always a favorite and I love them even more now that I am gluten-free. I know the official stance is it is not a safe place, but I have never had a problem yet. They just started a Adkins style low carb/bunless menu. Steamed veggies or chips instead of the fries and a bunless burger makes me so happy! The servers and managers are always very helpful and pretty knowledgable about the foods and cross-contamination issues. Plus if they don't know they ask questions and come back.

Wendy's is also a easy place to eat. I live on the Chili and cheese baked potato. The fries at the local store are in a dedicated frier so they are safe too. I'm not big on salads so I can't help you there.

My theory on eating out is simple, learn the trigger words for non-gluten-free foods and go at non-peak hours, if possible. Tell the server that you have the food allergies and you'll need to ask questions. Tell them you are not in a rush and then I expect the meal to run a little longer than normal. I ask about a dedicated frier for french fries and potato skins. I check about any possible appitizers. Then when it comes to the meal, I order something simple and plain and ask them not to put additional seasings on it (like garlic butter etc.). I bring salad dressings and BBQ sauce from home to use as seasonings for the meat. I don't expect a perfect meal, but I am pleasantly suprised on a regular basis.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 clare

clare

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 04:14 AM

Has anyone had any experience with Schlotzky's Deli? They opened one several months ago here in Korea. Unfortunately, it was before I was diagnosed so I know exactly what I'm missing when my friends have the sandwiches! I usually opt for the Chinese chicken salad but I've had reactions a couple of times. Not sure if it's the dressing or if it's cross-contamination. None of the staff speak English and my Korean doesn't extend to nutritional vocabulary. Has anyone from the U.S. eaten there?

#18 Aimee

Aimee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 01:16 PM

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but I was reading Chick-Fil-A's site and they have a gluten free menu as well... The link is http://www.chickfila.com/gluten.asp They also list other food allergies on their site, if you have others.

These are the items they say are safe (boy, I'm going to miss their nuggets):

Entrée
Chick-fil-A® Chargrilled Chicken Filet
Chick-fil-A® Chargrilled Chicken Garden Salad
Tortilla Strips

Sides
Side Salad
Cole Slaw
Carrot & Raisin Salad
Chick-fil-A Waffle Potato Fries®
Hashbrowns

Desserts
Ice Dream® Cup
Chocolate Syrup
Blueberry Topping
Strawberry Topping

Beverages
Chick-fil-A® Lemonade
Chick-fil-A® Diet Lemonade
Coca-Cola Classic®
Diet Coke®

Dipping Sauces and Dressings
Barbecue Sauce
Honey Mustard Sauce
Dijon Honey Mustard Sauce
Polynesian Sauce
Spicy Dressing
Blue Cheese Dressing
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
Thousand Island Dressing
Light Italian Dressing
Fat Free Dijon Honey Mustard Dressing
Caesar Dressing
Reduced Fat Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing

Hope this helps someone!!!!!!! =)

#19 Aimee

Aimee

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 01:19 PM

Found McDonalds has one too. You can find it at: http://www.mcdonalds...uten.index.html

They even have a printable one you can download. Updated last on 1/20/04, so pretty recent! =)

#20 alexa11219

alexa11219

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 05:38 PM

Attention those who live in Rochester, NY. There's a restaurant Atomic Eggplant there. Almost all the dishes on the menu are gluten-free. The food is delisious, portions really big, prices lovely. My daughter found that place when I was planning to visit her family there (I'm the one with gluten intolerance). Since then, every time I visit them, we eat out there. Can you tell you even more. They and all their friends whom she talked into trying it, fall in love with that place :P and either stay there for dinner or order the food and pick it up an hour later.

If anyone from Rochester is reading this message, that's my advice to you - try it and you won't regret it.

At the same time, I need your advice, people. My daughter is 24, an intelligent girl, studies alternative medicine. Her daughter, my granddaughter, is 4 yo, very skinny, her weight is 29 lb, hight a little below average. They both have no signs of gluten intolerance. The problem is she doesn't want to hear about getting tested herself and the little one though she knows the danger of this disease. How can I make her do it? Do I need to do it? I don't want them to suffer the way I'd been suffering until I figured out what was wrong with me.

Please, excuse my mistakes in English. I'm a former immigrant from Russia. If I stayed in Russia, I would've been dead by now for in Russia they don't know about this problem. Isn't that the great reason to be thankful to this country? I'll be glad to receave any response. You may also contact me at alexa11219 at aol.

#21 alexa11219

alexa11219

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 05:52 PM

I've just read Aimee's message with the listing of dressings and found blue-cheese one there. As far as I know, blue cheese is not recommended for such "freaks" as we are as its blue/green stuff may be grown on some glutenous grains. It was my favorite cheese and still is a big loss for me :( .

#22 Guest_aramgard_*

Guest_aramgard_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2004 - 08:23 AM

I also have my oldest daughter, who doesn't believe she has the problem. I've worked on her for 3 years now without result. I'm still hoping she will come around, but I certainly can't make her listen. So, for now, I'm backing off the subject. She and her children all need to be tested. Guess we'll both just have to be patient. It's difficult to watch her suffer. Also her oldest daughter, now has a little girl, our first great granddaughter, and I really think she shows the symptoms. Our granddaughter is trying to keep her on the diet. So I feel, at least part of the family is listening. Shirley

#23 alexa11219

alexa11219

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 05:07 PM

Thank you Shirley. At least I know I'm not alone dealing with this problem. Anyone else has any experience in talking their children into being tested? I'll appreciate your responces.
Alexa

#24 rsavage

rsavage

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 03:58 PM

;) Alexia, I have tried and tried to get my 7 children to understand that blood test is a snapshot at the moment. My children each displays their own symptoms and I hate the idea that they will get as close to death as I did. Still, I can not help that they will not listen. They seem to feel that the diet is a big problem. I don't feel it is. However, as my young grandson just found out peeling some potatoes, if you don't listen, you get hurt. No one can force any one else to do any thing. We just sit back and feel sad about the whole thing. God Bless, Royann

#25 Guest_aramgard_*

Guest_aramgard_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2004 - 02:18 PM

Royann, Glad you're back on the web. I agree, if they won't listen you cannot help until they are ready to listen. Then you can be there for them. Shirley in San Diego

#26 celiacfreeman

celiacfreeman

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 10:49 AM

Any one had the Burger king Chili before? I don't have any stomach problems to
tell if theres gluten in there or not. I went to Wendy's and they were out of a
baked potatoes and the taco salad and their chili. So I drove to Burger King and
guess I just took a big chance woofing down their chili. I was starving.

Ps I did not think I had any symptoms but since eating gluten free for 35 days

My iron is up to 11.4
I'm sleeping through the night
I'm not irriated by people
I can SEE at night
no need for preperation H
My skin has color again
wow

#27 jillcole

jillcole

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:34 AM

I'm confused. I too am fairly new to this but if you go to the home page of this web site (celiac.com) and go to the link 'mainstream products that are gluten-free' it has a ton of candy. Butterfingers, snickers and a lot more. There are a ton of gluten-free brownie recipes and mixes. Certainly enough to cure any sweet tooth. I have printed off all the safe and forbidden food lists but both my son & I (mostly me) find this diet fairly easy. I feel like I have a good grasp on what is legal but now I am concerned. Am I missing something?
Also a wonderful recipie for fried chicken breast is as follows:
1. Dust your chicken with a legal flour
2. Roll it in soaked ground flaxseed. (2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed and 2/3
cup of lukewarm water. Give this mix time to absorb. 4 to 5 minutes.
3. roll it in brown rice bread crumbs. I have only used HOL-GRAIN bread crumbs.
4. Then put in in your pan with olive oil, salt it and cook it. Make sure you have
enough HOT oil so your chicken does not stick.
This is a 5 star out of 5. I make it for company & they love it.

#28 Debbierb

Debbierb

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 07:22 PM

Hi

I'm a newly diagnosis celiac (4 weeks) and I found this board when my doctor said he suspected I had celiac disease after an endoscopy. (Of course since then the biopsy and blood test were positive) Since I had never heard of it I immediately turned to the internet and found this site.
After reading a lot of the messages and info I was really excited to have a place to talk to people and learn from people who have had a lot more experience then me.

In all the reading here I've done, I learned of a site www.safetoeat.net that had a list of items that are safe at different fast food places and I also learned about the Outback.

I have to tell you, today was the first day I was really feeling down (pretty depressed) since my diagnosis. It could have to do with the fact that I went for a family birthday gathering at a pizza place last night. This had already been set up before my family new about me having celiac disease and there was nothing I could eat except salad. I hate salads!

This morning my daughter kept after me to take her to the mall and so I finally agreed to do it and I thought 'I need to eat before we go' so I don’t have to worry about getting hungry and then trying to find something there that I could eat.(more depressive thoughts) Then I remembered about the Outback. So we decided to go there for lunch before shopping. The best idea ever for depression!!

I told them when I got there that I had heard they had a gluten-free menu and they gave it to me. I nearly started crying! There were sooo many things on the menu that were listed as gluten-free and how to order it so your whole meal was gluten-free. Our food was wonderful!!! I have eaten there before and always did enjoy the food, but now they have a customer for life who will eat there often.

I saw the brownie on the menu but I was so full after lunch I didn't order it this time but decided I would come back later after shopping just for dessert.
Needless to say I was so happy that I found a place I could eat at I was no longer depressed and was able to go shopping with my daughter and we had a really great time together.
Even after shopping I still wasn't hungry so I will have to go back for dessert later and try the brownie. Something that I am really looking forward to.

Anyway the 2 points to this long winded message are:

1. Go to the Outback and treat yourself to a great gluten-free meal.
and
2. Thank you to everyone on this site for all you've done for me just by posting your great finds and experiences here.

Debbie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: