Gallbladder Removal/potential Infertility

• Please log in to reply

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:31 PM

:( :( :( :(

all in one day. So I am going to have my gall bladder removed. Great! That would have been enough to find out in one day.

But then I had my OB/GYN appointment because I haven't gotten a real period since January (just when my husband and I decided to start trying). Turns out when they tested my hormone levels back in the fall, my estrogen was off the charts (above 83 is considered high, mine was over 200) meaning my eggs may be harder to fertilize. So, I'm doing another hormone test next week and then we start talking about fertility treatments.

I think I'm going to cry.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:36 PM

:( I'm sorry you're going through so much right now. It just plain sucks.

Well, the gallbladder thing should make you feel better, right? So that will be good, even though the procedure is certainly no fun.

And about the estrogen thing, maybe the tests next week will show they've gone down. I'll say a prayer for you, I know it must be hard....

Try to feel better! :)
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#3 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:46 PM

Thanks chelsE- You're a sweetie. I just feel so bummed out- more about the fertility thing than anything else. you know, it's like, I feel like my body just never obeys me!

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:53 PM

B--This is not fair :( Good that you're going to get the gallbladder taken care of once and for all. Hopefully, you'll feel better--no more nausea. As far as the hormone level--could be a temporary thing, I will say a prayer for you. Keep your chin up--the Lord really does work in mysterious ways!
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 Green12

Green12

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,299 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 12:57 PM

Thanks chelsE- You're a sweetie. I just feel so bummed out- more about the fertility thing than anything else. you know, it's like, I feel like my body just never obeys me!

I'm very sorry about your news. I understand about the fertility issue, not knowing if it's a possibility. There are so many things that can be done these days and miracles do happen. Just try to keep your chin up!

#6 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:44 PM

I know- it'll be fine eventually. It was just that I got the two whammies right in a row.

And actually, there is a funny part to this story. Last night at dinner, my DH aand I were discussing what we would want to do if this was the case. He asked me if I wwould consider in-vitro and I was like "NO!" because for some reason, I thought it meant his sperm fertilizing someone else's egg (surrogate mom). Have no idea why that bothers me but it does? :blink: Anyway, doing some online research I found out what it really was and I was like "Oh, duh, I'd do that!" And I'm adopted so I have always really wanted to adopt as well.

The other thing is that when they did my hormone test (long story) it was back in September and I still was not feeling well so maybe things will have settled.

At any rate, thanks for all your kind words. They mean a lot.

#7 jaten

jaten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:45 PM

You've got a friend.....
My gall bladder has to go, too. I've been referred to a surgeon who I'll see Mon. @ 3:00

I'm sorry about the fertility problems. As the others have said, try not to despair too much. It must be difficult, but modern medicine and prayer can do wonders.

#8 StrongerToday

StrongerToday

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:48 PM

{{{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}}
Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05
Negative Bloodwork ~
Dr. encourages me to trust my
"Gut Reaction"

#9 Moongirl

Moongirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:10 PM

u gotta take one day at a time, i posted this somewhere else for someone about the gall bladder problem....just some advice i was giving out, maybe you could use it....
I had my gall bladder taken out 5 years ago, my GI thinks thats what triggered my Celiac's, anywho, dont worry its sounds worse then it is, if your getting it done laproscopic u will heal a lot faster, you will be sore so make sure u take those pain killers, it will feel like u just did 1000 sit ups. Heres a helpful hint when u feel strong enough get up and walk around the house a little it actually feels good. i remember they used some type of gas to expand my abdomen area, and they said it will dissolve away on its own but u can help it along faster if u walk around. it feels like a little gas pocket moving around, when u lie down it goes up to ur shoulder, doesnt hurt, but its not comfortable. also if ur watching something funny on tv, make sure u have a pillow on ur belly and put pressure on it, laughing as fun as it is, will make ur muscles ache. But believe me if ur gall bladder is giving u problems, u will feel 100 times better after its out!!!
wishing u a speedy recovery
Dx & gluten-free since 12/09/05

Positive blood and endo test
Boston, MA

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger

#10 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:29 PM

:( :( :( :(

all in one day. So I am going to have my gall bladder removed. Great! That would have been enough to find out in one day.

But then I had my OB/GYN appointment because I haven't gotten a real period since January (just when my husband and I decided to start trying). Turns out when they tested my hormone levels back in the fall, my estrogen was off the charts (above 83 is considered high, mine was over 200) meaning my eggs may be harder to fertilize. So, I'm doing another hormone test next week and then we start talking about fertility treatments.

I think I'm going to cry.

I feel so bad for you. I hope you at least get some relief after the gallbladder removal is over with. I am so sorry about the infertility issue, I know how hard that is. Hugs and best wishes.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#11 TCA

TCA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:46 PM

Bless your heart, you'll be in my prayers. Who knows, though. Your hormone levels may have leveled out now that you're feeling better. I was told that I might not be able to concieve and I did twice on birth control!!! :blink: They're little unplanned blessings. Since then I have found out that the pill is often not effective for celiacs... :huh: Gotta love that malabsorption! I do hope the surgery goes well. Remember, "all things work together for good....." Rom. 8:28
If you're looking for info on how to get started on the gluten-free diet, check out this List for Newly Diagnosed.
Self - Pain free since going gluten-free 9/05 (suffered from unexplained joint pain entire life), asthma improving, allergies improving, mysterious rash disappeared (probably DH)
Husband - Type 1 diabetic, Negative bloodwork
Son - Elevated IgA, Very high IgG, 2 negative biopsies - HLA DQ2 and DQ8 positive, Amazing dietary response since 1/06
Daughter - Congenital Heart Defect (2 surgeries), Reflux, choking issues, eczema, egg allergy - HLA DQ2 positive, Good dietary response (via me because of nursing) since 9/05
"All things happen for good for those who love God..." Romans 8:28

#12 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 08:32 PM

Aw B, I wish I could give you a big hug in person!

The gallbladder thing is good - get it the heck out of there, what gall does it have being in there anyway? ;)

Regarding conceiving, just keep in mind I was told I would have a 50/50 chance of EVER being able to conceive, and look how THAT turned out! :D

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#13 Guest_BERNESES_*

Guest_BERNESES_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:42 AM

Aw B, I wish I could give you a big hug in person!

The gallbladder thing is good - get it the heck out of there, what gall does it have being in there anyway? ;)

Regarding conceiving, just keep in mind I was told I would have a 50/50 chance of EVER being able to conceive, and look how THAT turned out! :D

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Karen

You are so funny!

Thanks Everyone- I do feel better. It's just that it blows my mind that one thing culd potentially have caused all these problems (or not, who knows).

Moongirl- you sound just like the nurse i talked to yesterday, she said exactly what you did!!!!! You know your stuff.

I feel a little better today. One day at a time. Hugs back to all of you, Beverly

#14 Lollie

Lollie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:19 AM

Hi Berneses! Sorry to here that you got all that news in one day! Tough to swallow!

The gall baldder surgery is not bad! I had mine done a little over a year ago! I have 4 little scars, not so bad. You will be sore, but you do heal quickly. I thought the gas they fill you up with was the worst part. It took me a couple of days to get rid of all of it. But all in all, compared tothe sick the gall bladder did to me, the surgery was well worth it.

About the infertility issue. My mom had that happen to her in her early 20's before she conceived me. They told her she was in early menapause, no more kids. Well, they gave her some pill (I'll have to ask her what it was) to make her menustration start up again. It did and she, 8 years later, got pregnant with me! Now that was 30+ years ago. I have alot of hope for situations like this!

I'll be praying for you! Try to stay positive!

Lollie
tests inconclusive, diet conclusive January 2006

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: