This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Restaurants

sara1947

sara1947 Newbie

I understand that my son-in-law does not eat in restaurants for fear that he will inadvertently be served something that has gluten, even if he is just ordering something like meat. The fear is that it will have been cooked with utensils that have gluten residue. Is this is a reasonable fear? I notice that there is a restaurant guide for sale on this site; so, I wondered.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular

Yes, it's a very reasonable fear. I've gotten sick from that much. With celiac, it doesn't matter if it's a molecule or a stack of pancakes, the reaction is usually the same.

Celiacs can eat out, it just takes planning and communication with the kitchen.

Guest Viola

It is a very common fear among Celiacs. It can be done safely, but does take some planning and talking with restaurant managers. Actually, in the last few years it is getting better and easier as the disease is better known in the general public.

He could perhaps pick a family restaurant near him and go in when it is NOT meal time, so they aren't too busy and meet with the manager, or chef. Take in a resaurant card and go over the list of possible cross contamination spots. Then stick with that resaurant for awhile until he gets more comfortable eating out.

The reality is, sometime we are going to have to travel...it's not always realistic to think that we will always have food with us when we need it. And a lot of restaurants are very understanding and accomodating.

Shutting yourself up and never venturing out to eat will make the fear increase. Unfortunately the first time you get contaminated in the restaurant will increase the fear as well :( There really isn't a hard answer to this. I for one will not let the disease run my whole life. There are still a very few things that I don't do, but for the most part I go about my life as normal as possible, including joining family and friends out for a meal. Of course I always get to choose the resaurant :D That makes me priviledged :P

So welcome to the board, hope that you get some help for your son-in-law. Try not to push too hard, if he is fairly new at this, he will need a lot of support.

floridanative Community Regular

I eat out about once a week, but only started doing so after figuring out how to do so safely at home for a month, and then I learned how to eat out that way too. To say it takes a lot of work to eat out safely is an understatement but if you really want to do it you can. In my case it wasn't an option as eating out and travel are both huge parts of my life. So far the only person that has 'glutened' me is me! But I stay away from cheap places as nicer places have real chefs and know what the heck gluten is. Well most of them do anyway. There's no rule that we have to eat out so your SIL may never really care to and you'll just have to accept that. Be one of those helpful MIL's and not one that thinks you can have 'just a little' gluten. To us that's like saying we can have 'just a little' rat poison.

Lollie Enthusiast

Welcome to the board!

Being scared to eat out is a common and real concern. If he is still relatively new to all this it is completely understandable. Cross-Contamination is a major concern when eating out. You have to be very careful what you order, what restaraunt your in, ect.... I still am not completely comfortable with it. But like an earlier poster said, you have to go out eventually, and I do. I tend to stick with plain vegetables. And a glass of wine. I go more for the company then the actual need to eat, as I usually eat prior to going so I'm not really hungry!

Try and be patient with him. His fear is real. Try to be as supportive as possible! Obviously you are concerned or you wouldn't have made the effort to come to this board for help! Good for you!

Lollie

Pegster Apprentice

The fear is very reasonable. The hardest thing about eating out is feeling that I'm embarrassing everyone else at my table when I launch into my "Wheat Speech" (as my family calls it). Some food service people are super helpful (especially when I use the phrase "food allergy"-because it's easier to understand). But you have to put your health into the hands of the kitchen staff who may or may not really care if my meal is completely safe for me. :P

Odysseian Newbie

Eating out can be hard. There are certain social protocols that I have to attend for work and some "wheat speech" would be totally inappropriate. Usually I'm stuck ordering a salad w/oil and hoping for the best. I'll risk steak too, if it's not socially expedient to just do salad. The tricky part is that we're all scotch drinkers, and a salad doesn't exactly prep you for a lot of that.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tiffjake Enthusiast
Yes, it's a very reasonable fear. I've gotten sick from that much. With celiac, it doesn't matter if it's a molecule or a stack of pancakes, the reaction is usually the same.

Celiacs can eat out, it just takes planning and communication with the kitchen.

Ditto....and I add that if you talk to a manager and let them know your concerns, they MAY be kind and willing to make sure that things are as safe as can be......but that is a maybe. Not all of them are like that. I have had GREAT experiences, and HORRIBLE ones. It is a crap-shoot. I understand the fear though.

Guest Viola

One thing that I've found is that it is really true the old saying "You get much more with honey, than with vinigar"

In other words, be super nice to the people you are dealing with, especially your server. They are the ones you need to count on to watch things in the kitchen and communicate how important cross contamination is.

We tip higher than usual when we get good and safe service! :P

Green12 Enthusiast
I understand that my son-in-law does not eat in restaurants for fear that he will inadvertently be served something that has gluten, even if he is just ordering something like meat. The fear is that it will have been cooked with utensils that have gluten residue. Is this is a reasonable fear? I notice that there is a restaurant guide for sale on this site; so, I wondered.

Eating out is a huge concern, and fear, for not only celiacs who can't tolerate gluten, but for people with other specific food allergies and intolerances. There is no way in knowing what is in the food when eating out, or to guarantee that it is safe from allergens and cross contamination. You may think you are just going to get chicken and salad, but there might be something in the sauce/seasoning that the chicken is cooked in like MSG or corn derived products or the vegetables in the salad might have sulfites or other preservatives that could trigger a major allergic reaction. For me personally, and many others, it's not worth the risk of being sick. I only eat what I prepare, knowing every ingredient that goes into it, or at family and friend's that I know are conscious of my allergies.

IMO I think everyone has to figure out what is best for them and what works for them and make a choice accordingly. Whatever that choice may be I can't stress enough how very helpful it is to have the understanding and support of family and friends.

Archived