This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Seeking Gum-free Bread Recipe

felineaids

felineaids Rookie

I'm trying to come up with a recipe for sandwich bread. However, the ones I've found thus far all car for one or more types of gum. My allergies are extensive, so I'm including a list of ingredients I know I can work with.

millet or rice flour

baking soda

vitamin C

salt

honey or agave nectar

olive or safflower oil

This is technologically possible, but I need some help coming up with a viable recipe. If anyone can offer opinions or assistance I'll appreciate it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

felineaids Rookie

P.S. This is possible. Hopefully someone here can help me figure out a recipe.

lorka150 Collaborator

i replied with a few questions in the comfort food thread.

lonewolf Collaborator
millet or rice flour

baking soda

vitamin C

salt

honey or agave nectar

olive or safflower oil

This is technologically possible, but I need some help coming up with a viable recipe. If anyone can offer opinions or assistance I'll appreciate it.

Hmmm. Been thinking about this for a few days now. In 10 years of trying to make decent bread without gluten, eggs, dairy or soy, I haven't succeeded and I'm a good cook. I've made quick breads and tortillas, but have used xanthan gum every time. Just wondering why you can use baking soda, but not powder? No flax? Can you use rice milk? No other types of starches at all? I just know from experience that these ingredients will yield a gooey mess, nothing resembling sandwich bread. What other foods can you eat, even if you don't think they're "normal" bread ingredients? No offense at all, but I'm curious to know why you think this is "tchnologically possible?"

lonewolf Collaborator

In looking through my recipes, this is the closest thing I could find. It's more like a corn bread than a sandwich bread, but it did turn out edible. I adapted the recipe from "The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook" by Marjorie Hurt Jones, R.N. p. 112.

Rice Casserole Bread

1-2/3 C sifted brown rice flour

1-1/2 tsp. baking soda

1-1/2 tsp corn-free baking powder (this recipe is somewhere on this site)

1/2 tsp. salt

1 C unsweetened apple juice, water or rice milk

1/4 C finely chopped onions (optional)

1/4 C oil

3 T lemon juice (can use 3 T water + 1/2 tsp vitamin C crystals)

2 T ground almonds, sesame seeds, almonds or apple fiber

2 T honey

Combine and sift dry ingredients.

Combine liquid ingredients in blender or food processor - blend for 30 seconds.

Pour liquid mixture into flour mixture. Stir to moisten, don't overmix. Pour into a greased 8x8" pan. Bake at 325 for 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting into squares.

felineaids Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I say this is possible because it has, in fect, been donebefore. There was a bakery a few years ago that made bread with this list of ingredients. They have since closed, however, and they never published a recipe. I haven't been able to find anyone who owned or worked for the company.

Again, this has been done before. I'm still hoping someone here will be able to help me figure this out. This has been hard because the gluten-free baking industry has really overlooked people with this allergy. As such, there are no good resources to work with.

Thanks for your efforts to study this.

felineaids Rookie
Thanks for the reply. I say this is possible because it has, in fect, been donebefore. There was a bakery a few years ago that made bread with this list of ingredients. They have since closed, however, and they never published a recipe. I haven't been able to find anyone who owned or worked for the company.

Again, this has been done before. I'm still hoping someone here will be able to help me figure this out. This has been hard because the gluten-free baking industry has really overlooked people with this allergy. As such, there are no good resources to work with.

Thanks for your efforts to study this.

I missed a few of your questions in my previous post. Concetrated plant starches have proven a problem, which is why I don't use those. Most of the baking powders I've been able to find were corn or potato based, and some contained gum. Baking soda is a much safer choice for me (and it does the same job, although finding the corect ratios can be really tough).

Flax is like peantus for me -- fairly common for people with this allergy, unfortunately.

Where rice milk is concened, I can't even find one to try. I've researched several kinds and they all contain a heavy gum base and sea salt. If you know of a pure rice milk, I'd be thrilled! I'd like to try it.

Again, I thank you for trying to take this on.

Also, you mentioned flat bread. Have you found a recipe that works? Someone else emailed me on and it hasn't worked yet. I'd be interested to see your forumulation, because there are times when a pita type bread is nice to have.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator
Where rice milk is concened, I can't even find one to try. I've researched several kinds and they all contain a heavy gum base and sea salt. If you know of a pure rice milk, I'd be thrilled! I'd like to try it.

Also, you mentioned flat bread. Have you found a recipe that works? Someone else emailed me on and it hasn't worked yet. I'd be interested to see your forumulation, because there are times when a pita type bread is nice to have.

You can make your own rice milk - just do a google search for "homemade rice milk".

My flatbread recipe calls for a lot of xanthan gum. It won't work without it. Perhaps an asian grocery store, or an asian person who likes to cook/bake could be of help. We have several Korean families at our school and a couple of the moms make interesting things with sweet rice flour.

You might try looking at this website for some help: Open Original Shared Link. It caters to families with autism, but there are a lot of products on there that I think you could eat.

felineaids Rookie
You can make your own rice milk - just do a google search for "homemade rice milk".

My flatbread recipe calls for a lot of xanthan gum. It won't work without it. Perhaps an asian grocery store, or an asian person who likes to cook/bake could be of help. We have several Korean families at our school and a couple of the moms make interesting things with sweet rice flour.

You might try looking at this website for some help: Open Original Shared Link. It caters to families with autism, but there are a lot of products on there that I think you could eat.

I appreciate the tip but that company uses gum in their products too. The search continues, and I'll elcome any ideas.

lorka150 Collaborator

i am not sure if you saw the recipe i posted for you in comfort foods.

felineaids Rookie
i am not sure if you saw the recipe i posted for you in comfort foods.

No, I didn't. I'll look for it.

Thanks for getting back to me. I did just find your post, and I'm not sure how I'd begin to modify this.

There are several ingredients in this recipe I'd have to leave out. The amaranth, arrowroot, currants, and brazil nuts would have to go. I'm not sure it would be a workable formulation at that point.

Please know that I'm grateful for your efforts -- you haven't even met me and you're trying to help. That's a BIG deal.

Since I've got a list of ingredients that I know I've done well with, I'm still hoping to find a recipe that will work with those items. This process has been frustrating for me in that the gluten-free industry has completely forgotten or overlooked people who are allergic to gum. The type of bread I'm looking for has been made before, so I know it can be done. It's just that nobody ever bothered to publish a recipe.

lonewolf Collaborator
I appreciate the tip but that company uses gum in their products too.

Really? I looked at their ingredients and in some of their breads they just use flour and water.

lorka150 Collaborator
No, I didn't. I'll look for it.

Thanks for getting back to me. I did just find your post, and I'm not sure how I'd begin to modify this.

There are several ingredients in this recipe I'd have to leave out. The amaranth, arrowroot, currants, and brazil nuts would have to go. I'm not sure it would be a workable formulation at that point.

Please know that I'm grateful for your efforts -- you haven't even met me and you're trying to help. That's a BIG deal.

Since I've got a list of ingredients that I know I've done well with, I'm still hoping to find a recipe that will work with those items. This process has been frustrating for me in that the gluten-free industry has completely forgotten or overlooked people who are allergic to gum. The type of bread I'm looking for has been made before, so I know it can be done. It's just that nobody ever bothered to publish a recipe.

no problem whatsoever. do you have MSN messenger by any chance? i constantly cook and bake and would love to immediately inform you if i see/come up with anything.

felineaids Rookie
Really? I looked at their ingredients and in some of their breads they just use flour and water.

I just got a call back from them -- I'd left a message. They do have some products that don't have

those ingredients, but the flours they use are ones I've had problems with in the past. Even if I could

tolerate those ingreidents, their prices are off the chat.

I really think this is going to come down to finding a recipe that works with the ingredients I listed. Those

are items I know I'll be able to handle.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Can you have the alternative to xantham gum? I took a gluten free baking class a couple months ago and the instructor mentioned that there was an alternative to xantam gum for those who can't tolerate it. It has a really long name that I don't remember right now, so that probably doesn't help much, but I have my packet of info at home. Have you ever heard of that, or are the alternatives usually gums as well?

lonewolf Collaborator
I really think this is going to come down to finding a recipe that works with the ingredients I listed. Those

are items I know I'll be able to handle.

Did you see the recipe I posted last night here? Do you think it will work?

felineaids Rookie
Can you have the alternative to xantham gum? I took a gluten free baking class a couple months ago and the instructor mentioned that there was an alternative to xantam gum for those who can't tolerate it. It has a really long name that I don't remember right now, so that probably doesn't help much, but I have my packet of info at home. Have you ever heard of that, or are the alternatives usually gums as well?

The alternative the xanthan gum is probably just another form of gum itself. That's my best guess anyway.

penguin Community Regular

Can you have gelatin derived from any source at all? Beef? Vegetable?

felineaids Rookie
Did you see the recipe I posted last night here? Do you think it will work?

Thanks for getting back to me. I somehow missed your post.

That recipe would at least be viable. I'd have to tweak it a bit, but if I could figure out how to make those adjustments, it would most likely work.

Thanks for posting.

P.S. Do you or anyone else here have ideas about reverse engineering a recipe? I found one this afternon that was originally intended as a yeast free, wheat based, bread roll recipe. It's fairly simple, and I can't help but wonder if it would work -- I'd just have to figure out the right amounts of baking soda and vitamin C, as well as the proper flour to use. I'm just wondering if it's even a possibility.

Green12 Enthusiast
P.S. Do you or anyone else here have ideas about reverse engineering a recipe? I found one this afternon that was originally intended as a yeast free, wheat based, bread roll recipe. It's fairly simple, and I can't help but wonder if it would work -- I'd just have to figure out the right amounts of baking soda and vitamin C, as well as the proper flour to use. I'm just wondering if it's even a possibility.

felineaids, this is the info I found yesterday and forgot to put it with the recipe I posted:

HOMEMADE SUBSTITUTE FOR BAKING POWDER

2 tbsp. cream of tartar

1 tbsp. baking soda

1 tbsp. cornstarch

Sift together. Store in airtight container. One teaspoon of this is equal to 1 teaspoon store bought baking powder.

You can try substituting the vit C for the cream of tartar for the acid, although I don't know how you can replace the corn starch. I wonder if it can be omitted?

Hope this helps.

lonewolf Collaborator

I think it might be worth it for you to get a copy of "The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook" by Marjorie Hurt Jones, R.N. (Over 325 natural foods recipes, free of wheat, milk, eggs, corn, yeast, sugar and other common food allergens). I have one that someone gave me 10 years ago, and the author has come out with a completely revised and updated version. $14.99 on amazon .com

felineaids Rookie
I think it might be worth it for you to get a copy of "The Allergy Self-Help Cookbook" by Marjorie Hurt Jones, R.N. (Over 325 natural foods recipes, free of wheat, milk, eggs, corn, yeast, sugar and other common food allergens). I have one that someone gave me 10 years ago, and the author has come out with a completely revised and updated version. $14.99 on amazon .com

I thank you for the post. You've been very kind about trying to help me -- again, that always impresses me when someone I've never met takes time from their day to assist me with a problem like this.

The book you listed is one I already had looked at a while ago. I seem to recall there really wasn't anything in there that would work for me -- but if you know of a specific recipe I may have overlooked, please tell me.

My allergies are extensive, and most books don't take into account people with such allergies. The food allergy group I belong to is having the same problem -- several memberrs are pulling their hair out trying to find recipes.

In my case, I'd like to renew my request to find a recipe that uses the ingredients I mentioned. There are many people in this forum, and I'm still hoping someone here can help me figure out how to make some kind of bread using these items.

millet or rice flour

baking soda

vitamin C

salt

honey or agave nectar

olive or safflower oil

This has already been done, so it is possible (I just wish the company that did this would have published their recipe before going out of business).

Any replies appreciated, as I'm conintuing to tackle this problem.

lorka150 Collaborator

Scones

1 cup flour

1/4 c. oil

1/4 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 c. milk/buttermilk/even water or juice... I am sure any liquid would work.

Mix dry, then add the oil, and enough liquid to make a good dough. Knead for a little, then bake at 425 for about 15-20 minutes.

This might work... You might even be able to throw it in a loaf pan.

felineaids Rookie
Scones

1 cup flour

1/4 c. oil

1/4 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 c. milk/buttermilk/even water or juice... I am sure any liquid would work.

Mix dry, then add the oil, and enough liquid to make a good dough. Knead for a little, then bake at 425 for about 15-20 minutes.

This might work... You might even be able to throw it in a loaf pan.

Bless you! Gonna try it! It would be so nice to have an alternative to panckaes (I've been living on those since I lost bread).

lorka150 Collaborator

Good luck! Please let me know how it works out. :)

I am still searching - I promise you, I will find you more options!

Archived