24 replies to this topic

#1 floridanative

floridanative

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:09 PM

What is wrong with these food manufacturers????????? On the new Clan Thompson list the Duncan Hines frosting called Homesytle that used to be gluten-free is no longer listed as such. I contacted Lani and she said in Feb. they told her they ae now adding Barley Malt. Great. It is at least listed that way and the can I have in the fridge is okay as the stuff has shelf life of forever so I got lucky as I don't think I checked the label (hey I'm still new) but anyway if anyone knows of other gluten-free ready made frostings please list them. Oh and please don't tell me how to make my own frosting.....I don't like frosting that much and I sure don't need the empty calories to go to that much trouble to have it. B)
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 03:01 PM

I forgot to include some info about gluten-free Bakehouse stuff being discontinued. It is not going away which was a rumor earliet today on another Celiac forum. They pulled it from some Canada shelved due to some label problems. Lee Tobin said that will be resolved soon but he also said they are about to introduce sourdough bread and hamburger buns. I can't stand KK buns (unlike most of you) so I'm totally psyched! I hope the gluten-free bakehouse buns are edible. Plus yummy sourdough.....oh I hope it's similar to the good stuff out in SF.

#3 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 03:35 PM

WHen I was in Kroger getting ice for my birthday cake, I checked them all. The ONLY brand that my kroger carries in the mainstrem products that was gluten-free (and DF) was Pillsburry.

- Vincent -

#4 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:05 PM

But guess what? Pillsbury told Lani (Clan Thompson) they don't test for barley in their ready-made frosting and will only call out wheat on their labels. So Lani does not Pillsbury on her safe list either. She is still looking for other brands that are safe to add to the list. If you didn't get sick from Pillsbury my guess is it could be gluten-free but of course since they say they don't even test it to be gluten-free and most all other frostings have barley of wheat in them, I'm not taking any chances. I'm not sure I'd know if there were only trace amounts in something like frosting.

#5 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:16 PM

I've had the Pillsbury frostings with no probs... but I prefer to make my own. With my handy dandy stand mixer it's actually really really freakin easy and my silly daughter loves it that I can make it PINK if she so desires!

#6 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:17 PM

But guess what? Pillsbury told Lani (Clan Thompson) they don't test for barley in their ready-made frosting and will only call out wheat on their labels. So Lani does not Pillsbury on her safe list either. She is still looking for other brands that are safe to add to the list. If you didn't get sick from Pillsbury my guess is it could be gluten-free but of course since they say they don't even test it to be gluten-free and most all other frostings have barley of wheat in them, I'm not taking any chances. I'm not sure I'd know if there were only trace amounts in something like frosting.

Oh no. I did get sick, but I blamed milk the mix..... :blink: :blink:

- Vincent -

#7 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:11 PM

Argh... now I need to find a new frosting (other than the Duncan Hines homestyle).

#8 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:13 PM

celiac3270 - you changed your font for us old folks to read like I asked - thanks!

#9 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:14 PM

Ha :lol: . No problem :D

Actually, I have another suggestion about font sizes if you have trouble reading the actual posts, or any other signatures. For those who use Mozilla Firefox, if you ever run across a site with font too small (or a forum page), hold ctrl and press the + button. It makes all of the font larger. Likewise, ctrl and - makes it smaller. Unfortunately, Microsoft isn't smart enough to include that in IE.

#10 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:59 PM

... but I prefer to make my own. With my handy dandy stand mixer it's actually really really freakin easy and my silly daughter loves it that I can make it PINK if she so desires!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nini, my niece and her kids like to make it purple! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#11 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:09 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nini, my niece and her kids like to make it purple! :lol: :lol: :lol:

very cool! I get the Kroger Powdered Sugar and use the recipe on the back of the bag... I mix all the wet ingrediets with the softened butter first and then add the powdered sugar... stirring it up before I turn the stand mixer back on and it mixes so fast and easy! I like it cos I know exactly what's in it and there are no preservatives (which I am discovering I am sensitive to)...

#12 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:24 AM

What is a "stand mixer" ?

- Vincent -

#13 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:38 PM

What is a "stand mixer" ?

Like one of those Kitchen Aid mixers.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#14 floridanative

floridanative

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:19 PM

Duncan Hines has now reinvestigated their Creamy Homestyle frostings (canned) and they are gluten free...excpet for maybe strawberry for some reason. I'm going to try Jerseyangels recipe for frosting one day though - I think even I can do that one.

#15 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:23 PM

Duncan Hines has now reinvestigated their Creamy Homestyle frostings (canned) and they are gluten free...excpet for maybe strawberry for some reason. I'm going to try Jerseyangels recipe for frosting one day though - I think even I can do that one.

I read that too, for some reason they put barley in the strawberry flavor. I don't know about you, but I've never run across a strawberry that needed barley to enhance the flavor <_<

Stupid artificial flavorings :rolleyes:
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: