This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Overweight Celiacs

plantime

jerseyangel Proficient
1/2 cup yogurt (either plain or low-fat vanilla)

1/2 banana

2 rings of canned pineapple

1/4 apple

small amount of mandarin oranges

8 frozen strawberries

4 ice cubes

Put all in VitaMix (you probably could use a blender) and mix it. Delicious!! You can use any fruit, but the banana is needed for texture. Karen

Karen--that looks delicious! I'm thinking I could sub some Vance's Dairi Free for the yogurt to make it dairy free :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
plantime Contributor

NSG, one of the things I learned on Weight Watchers is that if I spend a long time eating between 1200 and 1500 cals a day, my metabolism will drop and weightloss will end. Try having what I call a splurge day: eat twice as much as you normally do for one of your meals. If I do this for one meal a week, it shakes up my metabolism and keeps things going. I have been stress-eating real bad this week, I ate high-calorie stuff when I shouldn't have. Now that my kids are on the mend, I am paying attention to what I am eating again. I thought that chocolate was the cause of my exhaustion, but it was not. My husband thinks it is just plain respiratory allergies and the medicine I have to take for it.

I forget who gave the tip about the tea, but I like it! I have a lot of flavored and herbal teas that I am going to try whenever I get the munchies. I also appreciate the tip about the magnesium. That could be part of my constipation problem, too!

nursestherapies Rookie
Karen--that looks delicious! I'm thinking I could sub some Vance's Dairi Free for the yogurt to make it dairy free :)

Sounds like a plan Patti!!!

I am just so excited. I got on the scale this AM and have lost more weight. It is just falling off me without me counting calories at all.

I have the shake for breakfast (at noon). Then usually gazpacho soup for lunch around 2 PM. If I am very hungry I put some cooked brown rice into the soup. Then a normal dinner (fish, chicken, eggwhite omelet plus veggies), and nighttime snack of baked sweet potato, yogurt or fruit. And everyday I allow myself one gluten-free bun slathered with butter.

Basically, I have cut all sugar out of my diet, except the natural sugar in fruit. I also drink lots of water or herbal tea. Karen

NSG Newbie

Looking into the thyroid avenue - requested several books on the subject - perks of being a librarian - and started keeping a foo journal over the weekend. My weight has been all over the place lately. Lost 4 pounds one day and gain 3 more the next. One thing that I have noticed if that I am actually eating a lot less that 1500 kCal. So I have been making myself eat the required exchanges and exercising each day. Hopefully that will help jump-start my metabolism.

Thanks again!!!

plantime Contributor

I have done very poorly with my weightloss this week. I have been totally stressed over my kids' surgeries, and eating high-calorie, low nutrient food. It is also time for my period, so I have bloat problems. I have managed not to eat any gluten, though, so I am proud of myself for that!

Podgieree Newbie

I am delighted to have found all of you. I have been feeling quite down for the past few months, like I was the only one out there who was gluten-free with weight issues. I have been gluten-free for the past 5 years. I have been overweight for most of my life...give or take. I went on Weight Watchers for a limited time after starting my gluten-free lifestyle, but I felt rather cheated in that the support given to the group was often in the form of "new things to eat", many of which were not options for me. I also live with one of those pity voices in my head that tells me "Boo hoo for you. You don't drink or smoke anymore. You don't eat anything that contains gluten. And now you have to stop eating what?" (Okay, I am feeling sorry for myself. I have to approach this with a positve attitude. I just want acknowledgement for what I've been able to do so far. :)) Thanks for letting me whine. I promise to start out with a good attitude toward better health. I'll keep you posted on my progress and I will also be there for all of you. -Paula

plantime Contributor

I weighed in this morning, and the scale said I am up 1.5 pounds. My tape measure says I am getting skinnier, but the scale just does not agree! I am starting to journal again, this time I am planning the whole day in advance, and printing out the sheet so I can see what I will be eating.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
I weighed in this morning, and the scale said I am up 1.5 pounds. My tape measure says I am getting skinnier, but the scale just does not agree! I am starting to journal again, this time I am planning the whole day in advance, and printing out the sheet so I can see what I will be eating.

Don't forget, muscle weighs more than fat! Your tape measure is more important right now than you scale.

ianm Apprentice

If you are excercising frequently you will reach a point where you will lose fat but gain weight. I gained about 15 pounds in muscle mass even though my waist line got smaller.

MtLady Newbie

I'm new to this whole forum concept.. So bear with me..

I am a Grandma person with celiac disease.. I have multiple problems.. How much of it is caused by celiac disease??? I'm not sure but it would seem this weight gain is one of the results of the "diet" I've been on to control the celiac disease.. A while ago I, in the midst of my pain, typed in "celiac weight gain" on Google search and eventually found you.. I would appreciate any help..encouragement.. Advice etc. I live in an isolated area and am far removed from any support group.. I was dignosed with celiac disease about 3 years ago.. with biopsies.. Felt so much better on the diet.. my main symptoms were muscle and joint pain and stiffness.. extreme fatigue. The fatigue lifted.. pain lessoned .. stiffness left.. Then one year ago I had to have surgery and it's been down hill ever since.. All of the symptoms have returned.. I am one who loved to exercise.. but haven't been able to do that because of the pain.. ( I also have osteo arthritis..) I am now having to use a cane or a walker to get any distance.. And, of course, I am gaining weight.. I look at my diet and it's so high on the glycemic index.. it's no wonder I'm gaining... Anyone...Help!! Let me see if this forum thing works.. MtLady

I am delighted to have found all of you. I have been feeling quite down for the past few months, like I was the only one out there who was gluten-free with weight issues. I have been gluten-free for the past 5 years. I have been overweight for most of my life...give or take. I went on Weight Watchers for a limited time after starting my gluten-free lifestyle, but I felt rather cheated in that the support given to the group was often in the form of "new things to eat", many of which were not options for me. I also live with one of those pity voices in my head that tells me "Boo hoo for you. You don't drink or smoke anymore. You don't eat anything that contains gluten. And now you have to stop eating what?" (Okay, I am feeling sorry for myself. I have to approach this with a positve attitude. I just want acknowledgement for what I've been able to do so far. :)) Thanks for letting me whine. I promise to start out with a good attitude toward better health. I'll keep you posted on my progress and I will also be there for all of you. -Paula

I don't have a clue how to do this forum thing.. Paula.. as I'm new too.. But you are writing my story.. I too have felt cheated by not being able to eat what others are eating.. So what do I do??? I eat the good things that I can have on the "diet".. Which are way high on the glycemic index.. I need to stop doing that.. But what do Celiacs do with the need for Good carbs???? MtLady

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Hi, Mtlady,

Would something like an exercise bicycle (non-load-bearing) help you get that exercise? Or do you have access to a swimming pool? Also, a good physical therapist might be able to help you. So could a good chiropractor, but you have to be careful--the good ones are fantastic, but there are quacks out there).

As far as good carbs--I've noticed that when I eat the gluten-free bread, cake, cookie, and pasta subtitutes,my weight skyrocketed within a day or 2, so I stopped eating them except for special occasions. I do ,however, get my sweet fix with dark chocolate chips! I'm getting my carbs from fruit and "seet" vegies (carrots and red peppers), yogurt, and occasional cereal. Oh, yeah, and occasional ice cream (but the "light" varieties all contain wheat starch, grrr)!

Without the gluten-free substitutes, I lost 15 pounds (and need to lose at least 20 more).

Welcome to the board, and hang in there!

Oh--I just heard that there is a new procedure for arthritic KNEES, where they inject cartilage from a rooster's comb (I'm not kidding) behind the knee, where it acts as a cushion AND helps the body make more of whatever it's supposed to make back there. Mostly, it's orthopedists who do this, but some rheumatologists are starting to.

plantime Contributor

Welcome Paula and MtLady! I have found that eating the gluten-free substitutes makes me gain weight fast, so I have cut them out. For fiber and carbs, I eat a lot of veggies and fruits. I eat a chocolate bar or ice cream for a treat, but I am trying to cut back on them a lot. I am doing Weight Watchers online, and found that if I truly and honestly track what I eat, I do better.

Thank you, Ianm, for the info on fat and muscle. I knew that muscle weighs more than fat, but I didn't think it would make that much difference! I will keep on with the exercising, though, because muscle is much better for me than fat!

queenofhearts Explorer

But what do Celiacs do with the need for Good carbs???? MtLady

MtLady Newbie
Hi, Mtlady,

Would something like an exercise bicycle (non-load-bearing) help you get that exercise? Or do you have access to a swimming pool? Also, a good physical therapist might be able to help you. So could a good chiropractor, but you have to be careful--the good ones are fantastic, but there are quacks out there).

As far as good carbs--I've noticed that when I eat the gluten-free bread, cake, cookie, and pasta subtitutes,my weight skyrocketed within a day or 2, so I stopped eating them except for special occasions. I do ,however, get my sweet fix with dark chocolate chips! I'm getting my carbs from fruit and "seet" vegies (carrots and red peppers), yogurt, and occasional cereal. Oh, yeah, and occasional ice cream (but the "light" varieties all contain wheat starch, grrr)!

Without the gluten-free substitutes, I lost 15 pounds (and need to lose at least 20 more).

Oh--I just heard that there is a new procedure for arthritic KNEES, where they inject cartilage from a rooster's comb (I'm not kidding) behind the knee, where it acts as a cushion AND helps the body make more of whatever it's supposed to make back there. Mostly, it's orthopedists who do this, but some rheumatologists are starting to.

tarnalberry Community Regular
But what do Celiacs do with the need for Good carbs???? MtLady

Fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes.

• sweet potatoes
  • winter squash
  • summer squash
  • beets
  • berries
  • melons
  • quinoa
  • millet
  • amaranth
  • brown and/or wild rice
  • beans
  • lentils

MtLady Newbie
Hi, Mtlady,

MtLady Newbie

Thank you so much each one for your input!! You have no idea what it means to me to be in contact with someone(s) like me.. So many encouraging ideas.. It's so comforting to know you are there and are also having problems with the gluten free breads, etc.. My cravings are impossible to deal with and no amount of "will power" is working.. So I'll go back to the things you suggested and eliminate the breads.. ( I was even making my own..for this old lady that was quite an ordeal, as I was behind the door when the Lord handed out the baking gene.).

I have an exercise bike but it now hurts my back.. Our swimming pool is miles away.. on Winter days that is a major problem and in the summers??? I'd much rather be sitting by a stream watching my husband fly fish..It takes all I can do to get to our favorite fishing spots.. But I'm still giving it my best effort..Prior to the surgery a year ago, I was working out at "Curves" three times a week and loving it.. I've tried it a few times since and haven't been able to do it without hurting myself.. I see a pain/spine Dr. tomorrow and hopefully he will be able to help get me back on track.. I also have been to physical therapy .. not much help there.. The problem is, the surgery wasn't complete and I continue to have pain .. and may have to have more surgery..

I've read all your posts that I could find..and became curious about the SCD diet .. So I went to the web site...It's pretty strict but I get the idea.. A friend of mine who is a Nutritionist has a problem with totally eliminating grains..What do you think???

Where do I go to get help on learning how to work this forum thing???I "lost" one post a few minutes ago.. It's worse than baking!!! HELP.. MtLady

Oh , Fiddle-Faddle, I had the rooster comb injections in both knees a couple of years ago.. It didn't make much of a difference.. Cortisone shots help some but one can get too many of those.. I'm taking celandrin and that seems to give me some relief.. I take advil and sometimes have to take Ultram... unfortunately my best relief is staying off of them..Which really works against me..I need to somehow Break this "Vicious Cycle" in my own life too!! Thanks again.. Bless you each one..

Guest Robbin

:) I am so glad this thread was started. It helps to know that there are people out there struggling with the same issues I am and are there for support. I have arthritis too and it is frustrating because I love to hike and garden. The food cravings are horrendous sometimes for me too. I pretty much stick with potatoes, sweet potatoes and occasional gluten-free sandwiches for my starch-craving carbs, but like Dessa, I am not losing the pounds but am noticing clothes are looser. I think it is early for me since I have been gluten-free for only 5 months. Lost weight at first, but it has stopped. I really suspect a thyroid problem since I have been 1500 to 1800 calories and pretty active with the garden and weekend hikes. I struggle with joint pain constantly, but like a monkey on my back-have learned to baby the really bad knee and spine and sit like a zombie until 10 am before I can get mobile in the mornings. I still take aspirin, which is not too good for the digestive system, but what else can you do? (Can't take tylenol or aleve) Hot baths, the heating pad, and icy hot are my dear friends! The best excercises for me are upper body and slow hiking. Gel inserts in the shoes help a LOT too. I get frustrated emotionally because my kids are soooooo thin (underweight really) and they can't understand why mom can't lose the weight easily. :(

btw- my neighbor just had knee replacement and she is doing really well. I guess the surgery has come a long way and the recovery is easier than in the old days, if that is any encouragement to anyone.

As far as the weight goes, nini is my inspiration-she lost over 100 pounds in three years-gradually and healthy-so I think we should be patient with our bodies and realize that the weight didn't come on us overnight and the illnesses really make it hard, but it will come off. Keep ours eyes on the prize--a healthy slim self. :)

Podgieree Newbie

Thank you all. You are really givng me hope when I had all but given up. I have participated in different forums (about various topics) but I think that this may be one of the most important places that I have found on the web. Bless you all! -Paula :)

NSG Newbie

Things have been very stressful at my house the past week - and I have been good! No Cheating - although a bagel would taste good right now - Ha! Ha!

I have been tracking my food intake and exercise for over a week and I am having to force myself to eat in order to reach 1500 Kcal. I did not really how much I wasn't eating.

I got the thyroid books from the library and am convinced that I have problems with hypothyroidism. Now to convince a doctor.

The weight continues to go up and down daily - lose 3 pounds, gain 4 pounds, lose 1, gain 2, etc. I hate the yo-yo. I have noticed that my clothes are looser and my husband even asked if I had lost weight because the dress I was wearing looked "too big"! I haven't heard those words in over 15 years.

So, thanks again for all the great ideas and support.

MtLady Newbie

This is so neat!!! I feel like I've been given a big gift!!! Thank you each one..

My time with the Spine/pain Dr.. was informative.. I came out with a wad of prescriptions for PT/OT starting next week.. An MRI and Xrays ... I'm going to get a walker so that I can get into our favorite spots and Thanks to your help and encouragement.. I had a day free of overeating.. avoiding suger and the gluten free bread.. Did try the quinoa.. it is good!!! I have been really tired this afternoon but I suspect that is due to the withdrawl from all the sugar.. A good day.. with Lot's of hope.. Just knowing you are there!! MtLady

• 2 weeks later...
tiffjake Enthusiast

Ok, so I have read the last couple of pages of this thread, and maybe I will be jumping in and changing the subject, but I need help losing weight!!!! I have tried D@mn near everything, just short of gastric by-pass. I tried weight watchers, L A Weightloss (what a joke), pills, bla bla bla, and then went gluten free last year (and really got the hang of it early this year) and from there, lost about 10 pounds of bloat, but now, I am stalled!

I eat around 1800 Cal a day (mostly because I don't lean on food the way I used to, when I was eating gluten, so eating isn't the "event" that it used to be). And I walk on the treadmil about a mile (depends on if my knees or back start hurting, but usually a mile) about 3 times a week (maybe more or less, depends on whats going on, like my husband being home, didn't walk then, because we traveled a lot and went to Vegas and stuff). Do I eat less? Walk more? I am at a loss. I have a dr.'s appt on Thursday, so I am going to talk to her about it, because I have had a couple of odd Thyroid tests (but then some normal ones, so my doc said that wasn't it). But I really don't know what to do now! I am about 60 pounds from my goal (and more like 85 from the insurance companies-funded-chart of what I should weigh for my height, that my healthy mom and sister don't fit into, so that is a crock. My family is BUILT! But I am fat, and I know that, and I want to lose weight!!!!!!!!

Please help! Please share what you have done/changes you have made for weight loss!!!!

tarnalberry Community Regular

If you're anything like me, walking three miles a week isn't going to do squat. That's burning around 300 calories - a week. (If 1800 calories is your 'break even point', 300 calories a week won't even get you to lose a pound in a month.) Trying working up to three miles a day. With the knee/back problems, that may take some time, and you may want to work with a PT to see how to best address that.

First order of business is always to be *properly* fitted for shoes - and inserts if needed. Most people pronate or supinate, but don't purchase shoes to deal with that. That will hurt your knees and back, in addition to any other problems you have with them.

Also, look into other forms of exercise. Some people with knee problems find bikes (stationary or not) better for them. Swimming is a fabulous, low-impact exercise that is easy on the joints, and if you don't know how to swim, you can take lessons at any age. Yoga can be good as well, though it also is something you have to do regularly if you want to use it for weight loss purposes.

tiffjake Enthusiast
If you're anything like me, walking three miles a week isn't going to do squat. That's burning around 300 calories - a week. (If 1800 calories is your 'break even point', 300 calories a week won't even get you to lose a pound in a month.) Trying working up to three miles a day. With the knee/back problems, that may take some time, and you may want to work with a PT to see how to best address that.

First order of business is always to be *properly* fitted for shoes - and inserts if needed. Most people pronate or supinate, but don't purchase shoes to deal with that. That will hurt your knees and back, in addition to any other problems you have with them.

Also, look into other forms of exercise. Some people with knee problems find bikes (stationary or not) better for them. Swimming is a fabulous, low-impact exercise that is easy on the joints, and if you don't know how to swim, you can take lessons at any age. Yoga can be good as well, though it also is something you have to do regularly if you want to use it for weight loss purposes.

Thanks for the great advice. I have a treadmil at home, so that is why I was sticking with walking. I don't have a bike (or a decent gym in this podunk town) but I do have a pool in my apartment complex! And swimming is MUCH easier on my knees and back. I had knee surgery 5 years ago, and that corrected an hyper-extension problem in the right knee, that I also had in my left knee. I am not in a position to have the left knee done right now (and it really isn't bad unless I walk a lot) so that is whats up with the knees. And the back is because of the weight, I am sure of that. I have some great shoes too, so I think that is covered. (I have a subscription to runners magazine, and they did a spread on tennies a couple of months ago, and went through all of the foot types and things like that. I picked a NB pair that are wonderful!)

I think I will start swimming and walking daily. I know that for me, it is easier to walk when I am "warmed up" so I will probably swim and then walk. Thanks Tiffany! ~Tiffany

inquirer Newbie

Some people believe that if you have undiagnosed allergies that can keep you from losing weight. There is a doctor at www.drrima.com who has a section regarding that and of course a book.

Also, for some of you who were losing weight before your celiac diagnosis, then gained weight and now can't take off the weight, I'd like to relate what happened to me. About twenty years ago I was living in Mexico and unbeknownst to me the senora of the house was serving me unfiltered water in my coffee. Needless to say, I was frequently and very violently sick (as in let me die now!). I would lose 5-10 lbs every time, then recover the weight plus a few extra. Then a couple of weeks later I would get sick again, lose the weight, regain the weight plus a few extra. By the time I came back home (I didn't want to die in Mexico!), despite the fact that I had been so sick, I was actually 10 pounds heavier than when I had left. It took me several months of a well balanced diet and exercise before those extra pounds would budge. My body had decided that I needed those pounds, who knew when I might get sick again. So those of you who have gained a little extra, as long as you are eating healthy and exercising, give yourselves a break and let your body regain its equilibrium.

Archived