This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fast Food Places...subway?...

liveforlove

liveforlove Newbie

Heyy. im new at this. im going to go see my nutritionist (if thats how you spell it?) next month. but for now im kind of winging it on my own... i was wondering if i could still eat subway??...if the white bread has any wheat or gluten in it?.. and if you guys know of any other places i could eat. ?

thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi welcome in! I take it that you are diagnosed with Celiac or are gluten intolerant. If so, you can not have anything containing wheat, barley, rye or oats. That would include all "regular" breads--like the kind at Subway. Celiacs can eat breads made from other grains like rice, buckwheat, tapioca. You can find those in health food stores and places like Whole Foods. It sounds like you are starting at square one. It is important to read the labels of all packaged foods before eating them. A better idea for now would be to eat whole, naturally gluten-free foods. Plain meats, fish, poultry, veggies, fruits, plain nuts, oils, peanut butter are safe. A good book for a someone new to the gluten-free lifestyle is Wheat Free Worry Free by Dana Korn. I would recommend you to read it. Here is a list of allowed foods:

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-45106469953.f0

Feel free to post with questions anytime--good luck! :)

Regarding restaurants--it is important to communicate the need to be gluten-free with your server and the manager. Subway may have salads--I'm not too familiar with them. You would need to check with them to see if anything they serve is gluten-free--the breads definately are not. Wendy's and McDonalds have gluten-free menu items--they are available on line. Keep in mind that fast food restaurants carry a greater risk of cross contamination.

Guest schmenge
Heyy. im new at this. im going to go see my nutritionist (if thats how you spell it?) next month. but for now im kind of winging it on my own... i was wondering if i could still eat subway??...if the white bread has any wheat or gluten in it?.. and if you guys know of any other places i could eat. ?

thanks.

Depends upon what you mean by "still eat Subway." Although they do have a few things that you can eat, breads are all out. You'll be very hard pressed to find any type of bread/bread product at any restaurant where the bread is gluten-free. Here is a link to Subway's page of what does not have gluten.

Open Original Shared Link

Even though they, as well as many restaurant chains, identify items with/without gluten there is always a risk of cross contamination. When I was first diagnosed I would read about people having their own butter containers and such at home so as to prevent cross contamination. I did not think that could make much difference (as long as I was careful). I was wrong. Although at first it did not seem to matter, once my body got used to not having gluten it would yell at me when I (inadvertently) got gluten. Including some I must have picked up from the "household" peanut butter jar.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid...-02106553569.37

This link will take you to the safe and forbidden lists. Print them out and take them shopping with you.

www.kinnikinnick.com has fantastic foods. White bread is great, donuts are great, bagels are great, pizza crusts are great, k-toos are great, chocolate chip muffins are great. Ordering is easy and a flat $10 shipping charge applies on all orders up to $200. Very reasonable! I bulk order to save on shipping and keep the extras in the freezer.

You will find that Outback Steakhouse and PF Changs have gluten free menus. You have to ask for the menu when you're dining. They're very good with the gluten free menus

McDonald's fries and shakes are gluten free. As are their hashbrowns and coffee.

You will have to do a lot more cooking, though.

Nathan's famous franks HAVE gluten.

Almost all other hotdogs are gluten free.

You have to learn how to read lables and look for the gluten. It doesn't usually say "gluten", but more and more companies are using the word, so it's getting easier.

read every label, every time. Use your safe and forbidden lists and keep asking here if a product you want to eat is safe. We know just about all there is to know between all of us.

And if you're paying out of pocket for a nutritionist... you may want to just post questions like a fanatic here and see if we can save you the trip and the money. :)

pixiegirl Enthusiast

You asked if the "white bread has any gluten in it". Yes it does and this is apparently a misconception... that wheat bread (because it says wheat in it) contains gluten whereas white bread does not. Sadly both do, they are both made from wheat flour and both contain gluten.

Once when I was in Trader Joes and was asking an employee about a sauce that may or may not contain gluten she told me she was "schooled" on gluten by Trader Joe's and that she knew for a fact I could eat white bread but not wheat bread. Huh? She said yes as long as it was white it was fine, well I knew she was totally wrong and went and talked to the manager who said he would speak to her about it. But don't fall into that trap, white bread or any bread made from wheat flour has gluten.

Furthermore subway has so much flour flying around I'd never chance eating there.

Good luck

Susan

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

angie78
    Newest Member
    angie78
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Fluka66
      Thank you again for your reply and comments which I have read carefully as I appreciate any input at this stage. I'm tending to listen to what my body wants me to do, having been in agony for many years any respite has been welcome and avoiding all wheat and lactose has thankfully brought this.  When in pain before I was seen by a number of gynacologists as I had 22 fibroids and had an operation 13 years ago to shrink them . However the pain remained and intensified to the point over the years where I began passing out. I was in and out of a&e during covid when waiting rooms where empty. My present diet is the only thing that's given me any hope for the future. As I say I had never heard of celiac disease before starting so I guess had this not come up in a conversation I would just have carried on. It was the swollen lymph node that sent me to a boots pharmacist who immediately sent me to a&e where a Dr asked questions prescribed antibiotics and then back to my GP. I'm now waiting for my hospital appointment . Hope this answers your question. I found out more about the disease because I googled something I wouldn't normally do, it did shed light on the disease but I also read some things that this disease can do. On good days I actually hope I haven't got this but on further investigation my mother's side of the family all Celtic have had various problems 're stomach pain my poor grandmother cried in pain as did her sister whilst two of her brother's survived WW2 but died from ulcers put down to stress of fighting.  Wishing you well with your recovery.  Many thanks  
    • knitty kitty
      Welcome to the forum, @Nacina, What supplements is your son taking?
    • knitty kitty
      @BluegrassCeliac, I'm agreeing.  It's a good thing taking magnesium. And B vitamins. Magnesium and Thiamine work together.  If you supplement the B vitamins which include Thiamine, but don't have sufficient magnesium, Thiamine won't work well.  If you take Magnesium, but not Thiamine, magnesium won't work as well by itself. Hydrochlorothiazide HCTZ is a sulfonamide drug, a sulfa drug.  So are proton pump inhibitors PPIs, and SSRIs. High dose Thiamine is used to resolve cytokine storms.  High dose Thiamine was used in patients having cytokine storms in Covid infections.  Magnesium supplementation also improves cytokine storms, and was also used during Covid. How's your Vitamin D? References: Thiamine and magnesium deficiencies: keys to disease https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25542071/ Hiding in Plain Sight: Modern Thiamine Deficiency https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8533683/ The Effect of a High-Dose Vitamin B Multivitamin Supplement on the Relationship between Brain Metabolism and Blood Biomarkers of Oxidative Stress: A Randomized Control Trial https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6316433/ High‐dose Vitamin B6 supplementation reduces anxiety and strengthens visual surround suppression https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9787829/ Repurposing Treatment of Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome for Th-17 Cell Immune Storm Syndrome and Neurological Symptoms in COVID-19: Thiamine Efficacy and Safety, In-Vitro Evidence and Pharmacokinetic Profile https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33737877/ Higher Intake of Dietary Magnesium Is Inversely Associated With COVID-19 Severity and Symptoms in Hospitalized Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9132593/ Magnesium and Vitamin D Deficiency as a Potential Cause of Immune Dysfunction, Cytokine Storm and Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation in covid-19 patients https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7861592/ Sulfonamide Hypersensitivity https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31495421/
    • BluegrassCeliac
      Hi,   Not saying Thiamine (B1) couldn't be an issue as well, but Mg was definitely the cause of my problems. It's the only thing that worked. I supplemented with B vitamins, but that didn't change anything, in fact they made me sick. Mg stopped all my muscle pain (HCTZ) within a few months and fixed all the intestinal problems HCTZ caused as well. Mom has an allergy to some sulfa drugs (IgG Celiac too), but I don't think I've ever taken them. Mg boosted my energy as well. It solved a lot of problems. I take 1000mg MgO a day with no problems. I boost absorption with Vitamin D. Some people can't take MgO,  like mom, she takes Mg Glycinate. It's one of those things that someone has try and find the right form for themselves. Everyone's different. Mg deficiency can cause anxiety and is a treatment for it. A pharmacist gave me a list of drugs years ago that cause Mg deficiency: PPIs, H2 bockers, HCTZ, some beta blockers (metoprolol which I've taken -- horrible side effects), some anti-anxiety meds too were on it. I posted because I saw he was an IgG celiac. He's the first one I've seen in 20 years, other than my family. We're rare. All the celiacs I've met are IgA. Finding healthcare is a nightmare. Just trying to help. B  
    • Scott Adams
      It sounds like you've been through a lot with your son's health journey, and it's understandable that you're seeking answers and solutions. Given the complexity of his symptoms and medical history, it might be beneficial to explore a few avenues: Encourage your son to keep a detailed journal of his symptoms, including when they occur, their severity, any triggers or patterns, and how they impact his daily life. This information can be valuable during medical consultations and may help identify correlations or trends. Consider seeking opinions from specialized medical centers or academic hospitals that have multidisciplinary teams specializing in gastrointestinal disorders, especially those related to Celiac disease and Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EOE). These centers often have experts who deal with complex cases and can offer a comprehensive evaluation. Since you've already explored alternative medicine with a nutrition response doctor and a gut detox diet, you may want to consider consulting a functional medicine practitioner. They take a holistic approach to health, looking at underlying causes and imbalances that may contribute to symptoms. Given his low vitamin D levels and other nutritional markers, a thorough nutritional assessment by a registered dietitian or nutritionist specializing in gastrointestinal health could provide insights into any deficiencies or dietary adjustments that might help alleviate symptoms. In addition to routine tests, consider asking about more specialized tests that may not be part of standard screenings. These could include comprehensive stool analyses, food intolerance testing, allergy panels, or advanced imaging studies to assess gut health.