Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Movie Theatre Popcorn

14 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if there is any gluten in the butter flavored topping for movie theatre popcorn?

Laura

Ads by Google:

Not sure about it having gluten, but it has always made me throw up. I stick to the microwavable variety.

I doubt there's any gluten in the butter topping but I'd check the popcorn salt. The guy behind the counter had an allergy info sheet for butter at my theatre, but nothing on the salt. It's not table salt, and they put it on as it comes out of the popper. I would stay away from the flavoured salt you add on later.

I sent an email to my local theater asking if the "butter" or any other ingredients had any gluten, and to toss in the overall nutritional info while they were at it. They didn't answer the gluten question (which I think was mostly on oversight) but my eyes got so big when I saw the "nutritional" value that I swore off the stuff anyway. :o

Although unlikely, there could be gluten in the butter.

Highly, highly unlikely, but of course there's no way to guarantee that for every theater in the world.

richard

Anyone know why a person would throw up after eating movie theatre popcorn? It always makes me throw up.

I don't know why it would make you throw up. SOmething in it your body does not like.

I kind of question the whole butter at the movie theatre because when they spoon it on it looks more like an oil than butter, at least the kind I use. I have just always wondered how much of it was actually butter?

Anyone know why a person would throw up after eating movie theatre popcorn? It always makes me throw up.

"Drum roll please" - how about the prices!!!

This coming from a person who has worked in the industry for 17 yrs.

My guess would be gluten. The salt/oil/flavouring stuff that they pop the corn in has artificial flavours that one company could not confirm the contents of. Guten makes me throw up as I unfortunately found out not long ago.

Every time I've actually been able to check a movie theater popcorn, it's been gluten-free. . Flavacol (sp?), the best-selling topping in the U.S., is gluten-free. It's very, very, very unlikely gluten is causing the vomiting, especially if it's happened from popcorn at different theaters.

richard

Popcorn is just plain hard on some people's stomachs. It's sharp and pointy! Add a bunch of fat and oils to that and if you have a sensitive stomach, BAM!

And at movies especially, we tend to overeat the popcorn.

The Showplace 14 by us doesn't have gluten-free popcorn. I spoke to the Manager. It was very disappointing. I love the stuff. Now I smuggle in gluten-free micro popcorn. But it's not the same. :(

Movie theater popcorn 'butter' is pretty disgusting... My stomach is always unsettled after having any.