9 replies to this topic

#1 lpellegr

lpellegr

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 02:08 PM

It would be nice to be able to carry some safe soy sauce packets with me so that sushi isn't so bland. Yeah, I can take a bottle with me when I know I'm going out for sushi, but I don't always know that I'm going to be out somewhere and have a sushi urge. Has anyone found a place to buy little packets of La Choy or any other wheat-free soy sauce? I see that the "Portion-Pac" sort of generic packets don't seem to have wheat in them, but I'd like to confirm that before buying a case of 500 of them.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 02:12 PM

Yes there is, but on the weekend the board is a little slow. Someone will post in for an internet site to order them ...I don't know, I carry around a bottle with me. :)

Lisa
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 tpineo

tpineo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 03:13 PM

It would be nice to be able to carry some safe soy sauce packets with me so that sushi isn't so bland. Yeah, I can take a bottle with me when I know I'm going out for sushi, but I don't always know that I'm going to be out somewhere and have a sushi urge. Has anyone found a place to buy little packets of La Choy or any other wheat-free soy sauce? I see that the "Portion-Pac" sort of generic packets don't seem to have wheat in them, but I'd like to confirm that before buying a case of 500 of them.

I called San J which makes San J Wheat-free soy sauce (it is gluten-free, too) last year because of the same issue of never knowing when we'd need soy sauce. They said that their bottle label does suggest refrigeration but that it is not necessary. Thus, we keep a small bottle (plastic thing I got at Walmart) filled with San J in the van at all times and take it out when we go somewhere we want it. Tania

#4 mouse

mouse

**armetta**

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 03:18 PM

I forget where I got them, but I would not recommend the place. I ordered 20 individual packets and they charged me $15.00 for shipping. So, now when I run out, I am also going to carry a little bottle.
"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004
Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat
Morphia Scleroderma
Osteoarthritis
Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid
Essential Tremors
Asthma
Migraines
Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis
PAD Peripheral Artery Disease
Angina and Atrial Fibrillation
Gluten Ataxia
Vitiligo
Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.
Ocular Myastenia Gravis

#5 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 05:55 PM

http://www.minimus.b...il.aspx?ID=7667

Free shipping over $20 and the soy sauce is low-sodium, too! Less than $20 and you're stuck paying for fed-ex.

You can fill that $20 by getting A1 packets, dressing packets, etc...
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#6 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 03:30 AM

I've been wanting to order the gluten-free soy sauce packets from them... I already have the tabasco and A-1 Sauce from them... I can't really find anything to "fill in" my order to get the free shipping... I see they don't carry Annie's salad dressings and I'm not sure about the other salad dressings on the site... Some are Kraft but they have modified food starch in them and other stuff.... does anyone know which are gluten-free so I can fill in my order :blink:

Thanks, Susan

#7 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 06:23 AM

I've been wanting to order the gluten-free soy sauce packets from them... I already have the tabasco and A-1 Sauce from them... I can't really find anything to "fill in" my order to get the free shipping... I see they don't carry Annie's salad dressings and I'm not sure about the other salad dressings on the site... Some are Kraft but they have modified food starch in them and other stuff.... does anyone know which are gluten-free so I can fill in my order :blink:

Thanks, Susan

I know Kraft ranch is gluten-free, and as always, Kraft plainly labels gluten. Their modified food starch is corn unless stated otherwise. Enjoy! :P
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#8 tedward

tedward

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:33 PM

I bought a brand from Kari-Out through their wholesaler www.whiteplainsrestaurantsupply.com. The owner supports the cause by keeping the price low. Case for $11.00. I ordered on a Friday and they shipped in 24hrs. They were very helpful with other question I had as well. I also got a great deal on cookware.

Eat Well

#9 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:40 PM

I bought a brand from Kari-Out through their wholesaler www.whiteplainsrestaurantsupply.com. The owner supports the cause by keeping the price low. Case for $11.00. I ordered on a Friday and they shipped in 24hrs. They were very helpful with other question I had as well. I also got a great deal on cookware.

Eat Well

I was just going to post about Kari-Out. They are actually located down the street from my old apartment (and less than 10 mins. from where I live now), which was great because the owner told me about a chinese restaurant in the area he goes to.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#10 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:18 PM

Thanks! Lots of good info here. I have thought about leaving a bottle in the car, but considering how much heat builds up in a parked car in summer and how cold it gets in winter, it's not a good idea to leave any foods or meds in your car. I'll check out some of those web sites. My daughter, although not positive on blood test, has so many gut problems she has also started eating gluten free (with good results) so we will both appreciate any portable soy sauce!
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: