- - - - -

Rice Pasta

• Please log in to reply

18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ellcrys11_*

Guest_ellcrys11_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2004 - 04:11 PM

For those of us just starting to use rice pasta, if you put a spoonful of olive oil in the water, the pasta will not stick together so much.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2004 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for the tip. I have only tried rice pasta one time, when I was first diagnosed. I cooked it way too long so it was a little on the NASTY side! I will have to try it again and not overcook it. :)

#3 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 10:06 PM

ellcrys, does the sauce still stick to the pasta if you use oil in the water? I know that with regular semolina pasta, the sauce slides right off of oiled noodles. It might be different with rice pasta, though. I hope it is, because I often end up with pasta logs!

And I can't help sharing that my favorite brands of rice pasta are Tinkyada and Rizopia, because they are made with whole-grain rice flour and rice bran and they actually cook up al dente. I tried DeBoles and was thoroughly repulsed! It was slimy and flavorless, with a grainy texture. Those are the only brands I have tried. What are your favorites?
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#4 tonileet

tonileet

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 07:07 AM

Hi ellcrys11,

Like Sarah, my favorite brand of rice pasta is Tinkyada for the same reasons. I regularly eat the organic spirals, penne and spaghetti. They all hold up well. I've never had any sticking problems. Just be sure to use enough cooking and rinsing water and, like Stacie said, avoid overcooking it. I rarely cook with oils but I love to add a drizzle of oil here and there at the table. A plate of pasta covered with marinara sauce, drizzled with olive oil, and sprinkled with fresh basil is soooooo yummy!

Good day, all - Toni

#5 Connie R-E

Connie R-E

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:03 AM

Hi All!

I found a small Asian Food Market in my town, and the have the best rice pastas!!
--just about any size you want, and cheap, cheap, cheap!!!
I found it in the Yellow pages under "Grociers-Retail". Take a look--you'll be happy to find one! ;)

Connie

P.S. Cook rice pasta on a low heat for a better result. :)

#6 Guest_ellcrys11_*

Guest_ellcrys11_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2004 - 06:36 PM

The only brand I have found so far is DeBoles. The sauce did stick to the pasta.If you enough sauce on DeBoles, it will cover the taste. I will try find some other brand from somewhere.

#7 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 07:23 PM

Hey, ellcrys, I didn't mean to sound critical of YOU! I hope I didn't come across that way, but I can totally understand if I did--1:00 in the morning isn't my most tactful time of day! If you like DeBoles pasta, that's fine with me, and if you find something you like better, that's fine too! Happy hunting!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#8 filititi

filititi

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 11:36 PM

Personally, I recommend Quinoa pasta. I've tried Corn, rice, and something else that I can't remember at the moment...and they all had an odd taste to them. The Quinoa pasta is great, makes me forget that they aren't semolina.

Just had to throw in my 2 cents.

love,
Fil

#9 Guest_aramgard_*

Guest_aramgard_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2004 - 08:45 AM

I really like some of the Italian gluten free pasta's. Schar's is also wonderful. But my tastes must be changing because I've learned to like the corn pasta and at first I hated it. Also try the Mayacama mixes in a stir fry, they really add a nice touch to pasta or rice and speed up the process of dinner. Shirley

#10 Cait6799

Cait6799

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 05:52 PM

I absolutely agree with aramgard, Schars has been hands down the best pasta I have tried. I tried several varieties of rice pastas without any luck (couldn't get by the taste). Schars tastes exactly like regular pasta! I have tried several shapes by them too, Rigatti (looks like ziti), spaghetti, lasagna - they were all wonderful. They also have some crackers that are delicous too.

#11 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 06:39 PM

I'm with filititi. The quinoa pasta is great. I fed it to a bunch of non-gluten-free friends who loved it too.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#12 Guest_ellcrys11_*

Guest_ellcrys11_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2004 - 07:36 PM

Sarah
No offense was taken. I wish that there were more choices close to where I live. If I can find any, I sure will try them. I think I may order some from Gluten Free Pantry. Any good suggestions.
Thanks bunches
Harriet

#13 filititi

filititi

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 10:44 AM

I adore the Quinoa pasta. I did not like the Tinkyada (not sure I spelled that properly), and the corn pastas were a tad...icky. I've tried Glutano, Pastariso, and Pastato...and none were as good as Ancient Harvest.

These are cut and pasted from the Gluten Free Mall site:

Ancient Harvest Quinoa Shells 8 oz. Box
Bulk purchase discount: Buy 10 of this item & get 10% off - Normally $2.07, buy 10 & pay only $1.86.

Ancient Harvest Quinoa Elbows 8 oz. Box
Bulk purchase discount: Buy 10 of this item & get 10% off - Normally $2.07, buy 10 & pay only $1.86.

Ancient Harvest Quinoa Linguine 8 oz. Box
Bulk purchase discount: Buy 10 of this item & get 10% off - Normally $2.16, buy 10 & pay only $1.94.

Ancient Harvest Quinoa Spaghetti 8 oz. Box
Bulk purchase discount: Buy 10 of this item & get 10% off - Normally $2.16, buy 10 & pay only $1.94.

#14 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 09:41 AM

My whole Family eats Tinkyada and I am the only one on a gluten-free diet, It is so good!
Molly

#15 Guest_Libbyk_*

Guest_Libbyk_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2004 - 10:52 AM

I was really sad to have to give up my Annie's boxed mac and cheese. (it got me through colege.) I found one made by Pastarizo. the box makes it look disgusting, it looks all grey and nasty, but it is actually really good. (for your actual or inner child.)

Peace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: