Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Rice Pasta

19 posts in this topic

For those of us just starting to use rice pasta, if you put a spoonful of olive oil in the water, the pasta will not stick together so much.

Ads by Google:

Thanks for the tip. I have only tried rice pasta one time, when I was first diagnosed. I cooked it way too long so it was a little on the NASTY side! I will have to try it again and not overcook it. :)

ellcrys, does the sauce still stick to the pasta if you use oil in the water? I know that with regular semolina pasta, the sauce slides right off of oiled noodles. It might be different with rice pasta, though. I hope it is, because I often end up with pasta logs!

And I can't help sharing that my favorite brands of rice pasta are Tinkyada and Rizopia, because they are made with whole-grain rice flour and rice bran and they actually cook up al dente. I tried DeBoles and was thoroughly repulsed! It was slimy and flavorless, with a grainy texture. Those are the only brands I have tried. What are your favorites?

Hi ellcrys11,

Like Sarah, my favorite brand of rice pasta is Tinkyada for the same reasons. I regularly eat the organic spirals, penne and spaghetti. They all hold up well. I've never had any sticking problems. Just be sure to use enough cooking and rinsing water and, like Stacie said, avoid overcooking it. I rarely cook with oils but I love to add a drizzle of oil here and there at the table. A plate of pasta covered with marinara sauce, drizzled with olive oil, and sprinkled with fresh basil is soooooo yummy!

Good day, all - Toni

Hi All!

I found a small Asian Food Market in my town, and the have the best rice pastas!!

--just about any size you want, and cheap, cheap, cheap!!!

I found it in the Yellow pages under "Grociers-Retail". Take a look--you'll be happy to find one! ;)

Connie

P.S. Cook rice pasta on a low heat for a better result. :)

The only brand I have found so far is DeBoles. The sauce did stick to the pasta.If you enough sauce on DeBoles, it will cover the taste. I will try find some other brand from somewhere.

Hey, ellcrys, I didn't mean to sound critical of YOU! I hope I didn't come across that way, but I can totally understand if I did--1:00 in the morning isn't my most tactful time of day! If you like DeBoles pasta, that's fine with me, and if you find something you like better, that's fine too! Happy hunting!

Personally, I recommend Quinoa pasta. I've tried Corn, rice, and something else that I can't remember at the moment...and they all had an odd taste to them. The Quinoa pasta is great, makes me forget that they aren't semolina.

Just had to throw in my 2 cents.

love,

Fil

I really like some of the Italian gluten free pasta's. Schar's is also wonderful. But my tastes must be changing because I've learned to like the corn pasta and at first I hated it. Also try the Mayacama mixes in a stir fry, they really add a nice touch to pasta or rice and speed up the process of dinner. Shirley

I absolutely agree with aramgard, Schars has been hands down the best pasta I have tried. I tried several varieties of rice pastas without any luck (couldn't get by the taste). Schars tastes exactly like regular pasta! I have tried several shapes by them too, Rigatti (looks like ziti), spaghetti, lasagna - they were all wonderful. They also have some crackers that are delicous too.

I'm with filititi. The quinoa pasta is great. I fed it to a bunch of non-gluten-free friends who loved it too.

Sarah

No offense was taken. I wish that there were more choices close to where I live. If I can find any, I sure will try them. I think I may order some from Gluten Free Pantry. Any good suggestions.

Thanks bunches

Harriet

I adore the Quinoa pasta. I did not like the Tinkyada (not sure I spelled that properly), and the corn pastas were a tad...icky. I've tried Glutano, Pastariso, and Pastato...and none were as good as Ancient Harvest.

These are cut and pasted from the Gluten Free Mall site:

Ancient Harvest Quinoa Shells 8 oz. Box

Bulk purchase discount: Buy 10 of this item & get 10% off - Normally $2.07, buy 10 & pay only $1.86.

Ancient Harvest Quinoa Elbows 8 oz. Box

Bulk purchase discount: Buy 10 of this item & get 10% off - Normally $2.07, buy 10 & pay only $1.86.

Ancient Harvest Quinoa Linguine 8 oz. Box

Bulk purchase discount: Buy 10 of this item & get 10% off - Normally $2.16, buy 10 & pay only $1.94.

Ancient Harvest Quinoa Spaghetti 8 oz. Box

Bulk purchase discount: Buy 10 of this item & get 10% off - Normally $2.16, buy 10 & pay only $1.94.

My whole Family eats Tinkyada and I am the only one on a gluten-free diet, It is so good!

I was really sad to have to give up my Annie's boxed mac and cheese. (it got me through colege.) I found one made by Pastarizo. the box makes it look disgusting, it looks all grey and nasty, but it is actually really good. (for your actual or inner child.)

Peace

I am interested to know where you all find these Pastas' Schars,-Tinkyada Rice, and Ancient Harvest. I am in an area where there are not many good Health Food stores, that carry gluten-free. Please help.

Thanks,

Eliza444

I'd like to know where to get other brands too.

So far, Mrs. Leepers Rice spaghetti is not too bad, Notta Pasta is okay.

I don't recommend Lundbergs rice pasta it has a funny flavor - I think.

i've had really good luck with bionaturae, to me it tastes just like the real thing. they are an italian company that makes both semolina and gluten free pastas. i ordered mine online.

i've also found that the best pasta for macaroni is plain rice noodle macaroni. you can get these at asian food stores.

http://www.tinkyada.com is their website. If there's no healthfood store in the area that carries it, you have two options: to bring in some information or a picture or whatever about the product and ask the healthfood store to stock it, or to order it from one of a multitude of sites that carry it. Since Tinkyada is a very common name when it comes to pasta, just the way Kinnickinick is for bread, you should be able to find it at almost any online shopping place for special diets or celiac.