#1 Jogi

Jogi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 01:28 PM

Hello I am new to these forums.

I have been diagnosed with celiac since I was a child. But only recently in the last year or so I have had times where I felt really tired. I could barely keep my eyes open.

I find myself trying to study for school and I have no energy and I can not concentrate. I have no idea what the cause of this is. I tried drinking coffee and still no luck. I take a multi vitamin everyday and drink lots of tea and eat healthy and I do not eat any food containing the substances which we are not allowed to eat.

Does anyone know how I can keep my energy levels up?

I went to the doctor and told him that at least once a month I am so tired I could sleep for days and he sais this is normal. He simply sent me home with nothing.

I have also been experiancing excess hair loss. I am a female with brown shoulder length hair. Does anyone know why this happens?? I wake up in the morning and I see hair everywhere. Please help me.

Thank you in advance for anyone who takes the time to answer my questions. Now I must go sleep as always feeling extremely tired.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 02:21 PM

You might ask about getting a blood test to find out what your levels of testosterone and estrogen are. Don't let your doctor say no because of age, I'm 25 and have levels too low to be detected by the tests! Taking testosterone has keep me from needing a three hour nap every day! (Not to mention helping a bunch of other symptoms...) But particularly with the tiredness and hairloss, a hormone test could help.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 lisabarella

lisabarella

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 04:18 PM

Are you anemic?
Lisa A. Barella, PhD
Reno, NV
Confirmed Celiac by biopsy - July 18th 2003
4 people in family with Celiac Disease (mom, two brothers, me)
lisabarella at hotmail dot com

#4 Guest_jhmom_*

Guest_jhmom_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2004 - 06:32 PM

Hi Jogi:

If your doctor is not taking your fatigue and hair loss serious I would find another doctor. There are a number of things that could be causing your problems, and it needs to be checked into by blood work.

Have you had your thyroid levels checked? That could cause hair loss and fatigue. Do you have unexplained joint or muscle pain? There are a lot things that it could be, that is why it's so important to find a good doctor that will listen to you.

Several months after going gluten free I began to have unexplained EXTREME fatigue and could not do in a day what I once could (cleaning house, running errands, etc.). I went to my doctor and he ran some test after I explained to him what was going on. The test came back positive and I am currently being checked for Lupus, I am already being treated for Hypothyroidism so I knew it wasn't that.

Feel free to send me an email if you have any further questions..... Take care and I hope you find some energy soon!

#5 Chaz

Chaz

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:45 PM

Anemia is a real possibility as celiac can interfere with iron absorption.This can really cause problems with low energy and sleepiness too.Is your doctor really familiar with celiac disease.Many are not and they tend to downplay symptoms like these.Bloodtests are probably a good idea.My doctors also checked for thyroid problems as mentioned above.I do construction work and I can vouch for the fact that anemia can really take a toll on your energy.

good luck

#6 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 07:52 AM

It could very welll be thyroid problems, you could also try and see a sleep doctor. in the fall i started to be so tired and i went to a sleep doctor and it turns out i have sleep apnea, you nver know, you could be ripping your hair out in you sleep.
Molly

#7 OleSoftie

OleSoftie

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:38 AM

Hi Jogi,

You should be checked for iron deficiency anemia. I was extremely tired, and my doctor found that my iron levels were so low that I had to have a tranfusion of iron (not a blood tranfusion- just iron in solution). It really helped to boost my energy, and taking a daily iron supplement keeps me feeling good.

Good luck to you!

#8 kalo

kalo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 04:37 PM

Check out the thyroid info at about.com. There are many undiagnosed/undertreated thryoid people in the world. Most doctors don't have a clue. Also, do a search for the Broda Barnes Foundation. They have some good info. thyroid@yahoogroups.com is a good support group and place to ask questions. Get the right tests done (TSH, FT3 and FT4) and post to the group including lab ranges. F=free. Never hurts to get it checked out. Hugs, Carol B
Hugs, Carol B Enterolab diagnosed gluten sensitive and casein allergic June 04

#9 Jogi

Jogi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:32 AM

Thank you for the help :) I really apreciate it.

I have had blood tested before but this was for vitamins and he said everything was fine. I will go see the same doctor next week and get these tests done this is really getting worse.

Thank you for all your help.

Also I was wondering if any of you take daily pills or supplements to help with vitamin intake? I am curious if I should be taking something outside of eating healthy.

Thank you to all :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: