5 replies to this topic

#1 awesomeame

awesomeame

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:30 AM

who else has one? i just picked one up yesturrday and am looking for some decent exercises to do with it, any recommends? looking to reduce the gut and love handles a bit :D

right now the only exercise i do with it is lie on my back, arms behind my head, then slowly raise the ball keeping my arms straight, and keeping my legs striahgt, pass the ball to my ankles, then slowly put the ball on the ground. then the opposite-feet to hands. is it ever hard, i can only do five...albeit those 5 come after doing situps, so my abs are already tired...but still, a lot harder then i was expecting.

--matt

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:58 AM

who else has one? i just picked one up yesturrday and am looking for some decent exercises to do with it, any recommends? looking to reduce the gut and love handles a bit :D

right now the only exercise i do with it is lie on my back, arms behind my head, then slowly raise the ball keeping my arms straight, and keeping my legs striahgt, pass the ball to my ankles, then slowly put the ball on the ground. then the opposite-feet to hands. is it ever hard, i can only do five...albeit those 5 come after doing situps, so my abs are already tired...but still, a lot harder then i was expecting.

--matt

doing situps on it is good too.

I've had one for ... about seven years now. I use it instead of a chair at work for my back, and sitting on one of those - if you don't slouch and don't rest your arms on the desk in front of you, will build core muscles like you wouldn't believe! (Sitting on it cross legged without support from a desk is the uber-advanced, don't try this near dangerous things, level. I can get a second or two out of it, after a lot of practice. ;-) )
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 awesomeame

awesomeame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 03:47 PM

how do you do situps on it, like put your butt on the ball and go from there?

i will try sitting on it regularly!

--matt

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 07:29 PM

there are a number of options for doing situps on a fitness ball. you start with having your lower back on the ball (sacrum), for easy ones. google to find a whole host of options.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 fifthprofession47

fifthprofession47

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:13 AM

There are several books available at Barnes & Noble that address the use of the ball. I picked up several ideas for it's use on one of those infomercials about 'Gunner Hanson's' workout series for the ball. I use a variety of exercises, including pushups on the swiss ball. Try a search on the internet as well. Men's Health magazine has routines for the ball all the time. Good luck.

#6 powderprincess

powderprincess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:03 PM

these are 2 of my favs:

Sit on your knees with the ball in front of you.
Make a fist and put your fist on top of the ball.
Now roll the ball out and take your body with it, you want to end up with your elbows on the ball and your body straight and long from your knees to your head.
Hold for 10 seconds (or work up to holding for 10 seconds)
Then bend your knees and return to the original position.

Work up to doing a bunch of repeats. Start with 5 and work up to as many as you want. These are good to mix in with other core stuff.

Another core thing I like (good for back and abs) is this:

Get in a push-up position with your feet or legs on the ball and hands on the floor. Your body should be straight and long, shoulders should not be slouching, shoulder blades should push back and down, hands should be shoulder width apart, not too wide. From here: walk your hands forward until you are only on the ball with your feet, then walk your hands back the other way so you are making contact with the ball with your thighs. Repeat traveling along the ball on your legs. Keep your body in a good alignment and this is such a good core workout! straight body from head to toe.

To practice getting ready for this one just get in the pushup position and hold it for as long as you can. Once you can hold it for a little bit you can add the traveling.

Let me know if I am not making any sense please! Hope these are fun for you!
Visit to the er 4.1.06
blood test, positive for celiac disease 4.6.06
Endoscopy/biopsy/last day of gluten 5.25.06
Misdiagnosed for 2 decades. :( Feeling great now :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: