This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

For Women - Question About Periods....

DingoGirl

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Hi girls,

Am wondering if any of you noticed INCREASED menstrual flow after going gluten-free. Mine is now longer and heavier. Of course, I was so severely anemic before....don't know if that has anything to do wtih it. Anywho it is now 5 days (super! :angry: ) instead of 3 - 4. Anyone else notice this? Because I think I've read here that some of you had *decreased* flow.

Oh, one good thing, cramps have definitely decreased! :)

Thanks so much -

Susan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Babbia

Yes. I was getting on average one period per year. Since about November things have improved substantially, with this month only one week late. Truly amazing since I never had normal periods (frequency).

Bab

AmandaD Community Regular

Funny, I've noticed more cramps and lot more bleeding...seems like my body is trying to regulate itself. I've been going anywhere from getting them 21 days to 25 days...It's been intriguing to watch my periods get more normal... I never had normal periods before...

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Forget what I said about the cramps lessening....I'm on, I think, day SIX now and the flow and cramps are as bad as day one! :blink: I'v never had periods like this. I guess the malnutrition shuts us down or reduces our flow until we are no longer so malnourished? That does make sense....

Susan

Guest BERNESES

I actually started getting my period again! Before it was 7 days of heavy bleeding, then it stopped completely (I think I was underweight) and came back but was only 5 days instead of 7. But I'm probably not a god example as mine have been wacky for the last three months and I have to do some hormone testing. :(

DingoGirl Enthusiast
I actually started getting my period again! Before it was 7 days of heavy bleeding, then it stopped completely (I think I was underweight) and came back but was only 5 days instead of 7. But I'm probably not a god example as mine have been wacky for the last three months and I have to do some hormone testing. :(

Hard being female, isn't it? :unsure: I have to say I think I liked my three-day, anemic menstrual cycle more than this!!! But do get your hormones tested, things really do get all out of whack for celiacs.

Susan

penguin Community Regular

I've been totally screwy since being dx'ed, and I'm on the pill!

I was off the pill for a month and my period came a whopping 10 days late! :o

That's never happened before, even going off the pill.

Now I'm just kind of spotty. I don't know what the hell is going on! :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

francelajoie Explorer

Mine are now normal for the first time in my life.

Went from extremely heavy to normal

Went from 13 to 5 days

Went from very painful to very bareable.

plantime Contributor

The only changes in mine are considered normal for my age (41), and approaching menopause.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Mine are now normal for the first time in my life.

Went from extremely heavy to normal

Went from 13 to 5 days

Went from very painful to very bareable.

Mon dieu! Lucky you - - - mine is the reverse! Just shows that this disease/diet affects everyone so differently.

francelajoie Explorer

If I could only get pregnant now!! :D

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

Going gluten free regulated my periods too, so I'm probably not much help.

Actually, I call this pregnancy my gluten-free surprise. I hadn't really needed any form of birth control for a year and a half b/c my periods were so screwy. I would pretty much spot all the time. The first month I went gluten free......no more spotting, then voila, PREGGO! But it's a happy surprise now, after the initial shock, lol, and we'll have baby #4 in two months.

Lisa Mentor

I started peri-metapause when I was in my mid 30's and now well done with a cycle.

In past years, being on the pill for an extended period of time grately reduced my period until there was nothing. Went off the pill and it regulated itself.

Everyone is different. It's kinda nice not having to bother with it anymore and my husband says I am no longer a B--ch. (at least most times) :rolleyes:

DingoGirl Enthusiast
If I could only get pregnant now!! :D

Well, it must be fun trying.....(this from a girl who's fiance broke up with her right before celiac diagnosis - not a good time! :angry: )

Susan

Guest BERNESES
Going gluten free regulated my periods too, so I'm probably not much help.

Actually, I call this pregnancy my gluten-free surprise. I hadn't really needed any form of birth control for a year and a half b/c my periods were so screwy. I would pretty much spot all the time. The first month I went gluten free......no more spotting, then voila, PREGGO! But it's a happy surprise now, after the initial shock, lol, and we'll have baby #4 in two months.

Congratulations! That is awesome!

Lisa- What were your symptoms? If you don't mind telling me. Just when I decided to start trying, my periods got all screwy and now my doc suspects early menopause :angry: I'm 38.

Well, it must be fun trying.....(this from a girl who's fiance broke up with her right before celiac diagnosis - not a good time! :angry: )

Susan

Awww man... that's awful. I'm so sorry!

prinsessa Contributor

I'm not sure if my periods changed from going gluten free because I got an IUD around the same time. Last month my period lasted 2 weeks! Most of the days were light though. I hope my body is just getting used to the IUD because I can't take having my period last that long. I though having it for 5-7 days was bad enough.

Moongirl Community Regular

Well Ive never taken any type of BC before....but I do have to say knock on wood, maybe its because of my age (26) Ive never really had a problems with my wonderful friend before. I did however notice one small change, after I had my gall bladder taken out, thats when i think the trigger was for celiac disease, my period cycle started getting longer. I now average about 31-33day cycles. But I am like clock work....there has been prob 3-4 times in my life i have either been a week early or a week late. And i can def atribute those to stress levels being everywhere!!!

printmaker81 Rookie

I have to echo what almost everyone else has said. My period went from wacky (a.k.a non existent) to normal or me. It's pretty much hit around the 25 day mark....until yesterday. It came back after only a week. It's spotty now, but still I'm a little concerned. I was glutened about a week and a half ago, could this have something to do with it or should I get my hormone levels checked? Or could they just be messed up because of the gluten? Just when I thought I was getting back to normal <_<

California7 Newbie
I have to echo what almost everyone else has said. My period went from wacky (a.k.a non existent) to normal or me. It's pretty much hit around the 25 day mark....until yesterday. It came back after only a week. It's spotty now, but still I'm a little concerned. I was glutened about a week and a half ago, could this have something to do with it or should I get my hormone levels checked? Or could they just be messed up because of the gluten? Just when I thought I was getting back to normal <_<

Hard to say, I don't know how old you are but I would look into checking the hormones. I know thta gluten messes up LOTS of things, but would it make you spot? Who knows. Every person reacts so differently.

mortamer Newbie

I have always had regular periods, almost down to what time of day it was going to start. It lasted 3 days, Everything was great about it ( if that could be). Now I have not had a period since November. I just get spotting. I'm on the pill but there is no rhyme or reasoning for when the spotting happens. I misscarried in Oct. :( Don't know if it had to do with my Celiac or not. I found out that I had Celiac's in March.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
I have always had regular periods, almost down to what time of day it was going to start. It lasted 3 days, Everything was great about it ( if that could be). Now I have not had a period since November. I just get spotting. I'm on the pill but there is no rhyme or reasoning for when the spotting happens. I misscarried in Oct. :( Don't know if it had to do with my Celiac or not. I found out that I had Celiac's in March.

Mortamer, I am so sorry about your miscarriage. :( Many hugs....I can't speak to this directly, but I know there are huge connections between Celiac and infertiility and possibly miscarriage. You can search the threads or post a new topic about that. Your periods might change now that you're gluten-free -

mine have gotten MUCH heavier....yours might possibly also. Malnutrition in my case led to very anemic periods -

God bless -

Susan

Guest Babbia

My periods completely ceased b/c of the gluten (unless on b/c pill). Anyone know why the celiac would lead to amennorhea? Is is simply b/c of malnutrition (I am not rail thin...on the chubbier side)?

Lizzzy Newbie

I was diagnosed with Coeliac in November 2005 but had been gluten-free since January 2005. I had to go back on the horrible stuff in order to be diagnosed.

My question is also in relation to periods. I am on BC and take the pill continuously to skip periods all together. I have researched this and asked many doctors and they all say that it is fine to do this.

I now find though, and I do not know if it is coincidence or not, that sometimes I get a sharp pain in my lower left hand side of my stomach and then have break through bleeding. This can happen during exercise and if I contract my stomach muscles.

I had not been able to put this down to being glutened or not, until recently. The doctor changed my pill to a higher dose to try and stop the break through and I had been very good diet wise. Then recently I had a bad couple of weeks where we had parties and things and I had been accidently glutened. I noticed that the pain and the break through have started again.

Does anyone else have wierd bleeding problems like this???

Guest Pixi

Wow, it's weird how we're all so different with this.

Before going gluten-free, I had HORRIBLE periods.. a week and a half long, tons of cramping, prescription medications needed, etc.. Then, my first cycle after being gluten-free ended in a scant period.. three days, barely there. I had all the cravings, though. No cramps.

This last one didn't even happen.. I feel very PMSy but I'm now 7 days "late." I guess I'm going to need a lot of adjusting time or something. My body's probably confused!!

The body is so mysterious!!!

tavalon Newbie
Hi girls,

Am wondering if any of you noticed INCREASED menstrual flow after going gluten-free. Mine is now longer and heavier. Of course, I was so severely anemic before....don't know if that has anything to do wtih it. Anywho it is now 5 days (super! :angry: ) instead of 3 - 4. Anyone else notice this? Because I think I've read here that some of you had *decreased* flow.

Oh, one good thing, cramps have definitely decreased! :)

Thanks so much -

Susan

Wow, I never thought about that, but my periods have been heavier. Not massively heavier, just more what I would consider normal, though still on the light side. Cramps are much worse but they've always been bad and I'm suspecting perimenopause or fibroids rather than anything having to do with the Celiac. Though, interestingly, for me, Celiac was very much my magic bullet. I was severely anemic most of my adult life (told by a myriad of doctors that that was because of my period, which I didn't agree with because my period consisted of two days of spotting and I religiously took iron supplements) and I had six miscarriages and my thyroid slowly failed and I was having chronic joint pain to the point where I was buying Costco Ibuprofen in the 500 tab bottles, buy one/get one free and taking it like candy just to live a normal life and I was struggling with depression and my digestive system was a mess and the doctors were starting to think I was a hypochondriac. Alas, not one thought of Celiac and I was the one who researched and ended up demanding the appropriate tests, despite great eyerolling on the part of my fellow medical professionals (I'm a nurse).

Five years later, all symptoms are gone, though the thyroid is a lost cause and I'm a wee too old now to really seriously check out the fertility/ability to carry a pregnancy. I've been told to quit with the iron supplements because my H/H is borderline high now!

Archived