This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

America's 10 Hottest Food Trends

Claire

Mango04 Enthusiast
maybe it's just semantics, but I don't think they meant trendy as in hip, I think they are just noticing buying trends... "as people become more aware of gluten intolerance" hopefully it's not a temporary trend and it's a permanent trend toward better foods that just happen to be gluten-free.

I agree with Nini. "Trendy" and buying trends aren't the same thing. I think they're just saying more people are buying guten-free food due to an increased awareness of gluten intolerance. That's a good thing :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GreySaber Apprentice

On a serious note, I say we always start the sentance "I'm gluten intolerant, What do you have that's glutne free?" With the first part, we communicate the important fact that we are not being fashionable, which should do.

Now about those kisses....

ianm Apprentice
Woo hoo! I'm in the top ten!

I've never been on the cutting edge of fashion before. Will this get me girls?

You bet it will! Hot chicks seems to be one of the best side effects of celiac! B)

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

I had one strange encounter with the supposed trendiness of the gluten free lifestyle. I was at a friend's house, and everyone was eating cookies. An acquaintance offered one to me and I said no thanks, and, strangely, she continued to try to push it on me like a street hustler (i.e. "all the cool kids are doing it"). Finally, I just said, "I can't eat gluten," and she responds, "oh, yeah, I try not to eat gluten, but sometimes you just need to indulge." This is a person whose gone back and forth between being vegetarian, vegan, macrobiotic food only, etc, and the way she spoke about it, she made gluten seem like an ethical issue rather than a medical one--I can't possibly think of why anyone would be politically opposed to gluten. It made no sense to me--I think she just saw the word in nature food stores and believed it had to be some sort of cause, like "save the rainforests" or something. As if gluten is this pernicious critter going around and strangling the endangered animals rather than a protein that poses a threat to people with celiac disease. What the heck?

As far as the "intolerance" issue, I know that it is correct to describe it as an intolerance rather than an allergy, but I think that people don't really take the word intolerance seriously, thinking that a little bit is ok. I always just say I have celiac disease and then explain what I can't have. People never know what that is, but when they hear the word "disease," they immediately believe it's serious. I've had a few waiters and waitresses look at me like I've got six months to live, but I'd rather have that happen and have them take me seriously than having them think I'm on the latest fad diet. I think that people who are not on those diets resent them and think they're silly, so they are less likely to regard the seriousness of our dietary restrictions.

penguin Community Regular
"oh, yeah, I try not to eat gluten, but sometimes you just need to indulge." This is a person whose gone back and forth between being vegetarian, vegan, macrobiotic food only, etc, and the way she spoke about it, she made gluten seem like an ethical issue rather than a medical one--I can't possibly think of why anyone would be politically opposed to gluten. It made no sense to me--I think she just saw the word in nature food stores and believed it had to be some sort of cause, like "save the rainforests" or something. As if gluten is this pernicious critter going around and strangling the endangered animals rather than a protein that poses a threat to people with celiac disease. What the heck?

People for the Ethical Treatment of Wheat?

Stupid people, they're everywhere :rolleyes:

GreySaber Apprentice

Yes they are.... I say we use them as lab animals on an untra concentrated gluten diet, and see if they get sick.

:ph34r::ph34r:

Guest BERNESES
Yes they are.... I say we use them as lab animals on an untra concentrated gluten diet, and see if they get sick.

:ph34r::ph34r:

Hee Hee!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

Shall we call this P.E.W?

Archived