This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-eaters Annonymous

MallysMama

MallysMama Explorer

"Hi. Take a seat. Welcome to the Gluten-Eaters Annonymous meeting. Let's all take a turn to introduce ourselves and tell our weakness that brought us to this GA meeting."

"Hi. My name is Karleena and I'm a 'closet Celiac'. I don't like to be different. My biggest weakness is not eating a sandwich or a piece of pizza - it's the dreaded M word. Malt. Yes, that's the one! I struggle with maltodextrin, malt flavoring and malt extract. I can't help it - I'm addicted to cereal!"

( :lol: Feel free to join the GA meeting -all in fun- and share "your story"!)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chrissy Collaborator

maltodextrin is ok----you have one less addiction to worry about! LOL!!

christine

Guest Viola

:lol::lol::lol:

My struggle is with 'wanting to walk into a coffee shop and ordering that yummy cinnamon roll with coffee when I stop while driving several hundred miles' :ph34r: Shhhhh don't tell.

:lol: The problem with that of course is that I would have to steal their toiled for the back of the van too :lol:

MallysMama Explorer

:lol::lol: I don't know about stealing their toilet (then you'd have to go to a Stealers Annonymous meeting)....but I'd let you borrow my daughters "royal" potty if you're desperate! (She's not ready for it yet anyway!) ;)

Since when is maltodextrin okay?!?! I thought that was a no-no equal to regular Malt?

Guest Viola

Actually, it isn't rye at all, but the name is confusing.

Maltodextrin

A hydrolyzed carbohydrate made from corn starch.

Hope this helps :D

mommida Enthusiast

I joined a gluten free cult. :lol:

L.

frenchiemama Collaborator

Viola is correct. I have to sample (taste) malto on a nearly daily basis at work. I can assure you that it is gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

And there's lots of gluten-free cereal out there. (I like it dry as a tasty crunchy snack.)

Guest nini

I haven't actually given in to the cravings, but man oh man do I crave Krispy Kreme donuts and a really good croissant!

elye Community Regular

While we're on the subject of malt, I'll share the biggest frustration I have as a celiac: not the missed take-out pizza or New York Bagels or meatball subs, but the hands-off Kellog's cereal, many of which are completely gluten-free until you get to the last ingredient--malt flavoring! AUUUGGGHHH! How frustrating...SOOOO close to gluten-free. Such teasing exhausts me...

chrissy Collaborator

and just how much does malt really contribute to the flavoring anyway!!!!!!

christine

penguin Community Regular

I'd give a pinky toe for a McDonald's double cheeseburger...

I never even liked them that much! :rolleyes:

Lollie Enthusiast

I'm with Nini- Krispy Kreme, croissants, and Einsteins Bagels!!!! And I really miss cholcolate malts and malted milk balls! I haven't given in or anything, but man, I do covet them. Especially when my kids have them and I can smell them.....

lollie

Guest Viola
and just how much does malt really contribute to the flavoring anyway!!!!!!

christine

I was told that although malt does add to the flovour, it also makes the texture better. Don't know how true it is, but a whole lot of stuff has malt in it. :(

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

:lol:

I must confess...

I dream about wedding cake! [giggle] :wub:

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast
I haven't actually given in to the cravings, but man oh man do I crave Krispy Kreme donuts and a really good croissant!
OMG -- I miss Krispy Kreme doughnuts almost more than anything. When my kids were little, in the summer we would go for midnight Krispy Kreme runs so that we could get them when they were coming off the conveyor. My mouth is watering as I write this. I even have a Krispy Kreme T-shirt! In 9 months, I have not once cheated on this lifestyle (said diet first, but decided it's a lifestyle), but if I were to give in to ANY gluten, it would be Krispy Kreme doughnuts! We also had this bakery where my office used to be -- they made the BEST croissants. Their chicken salad (with walnuts, pineapple, grapes) on those croissants were to die for.
NicoleAJ Enthusiast

In 21 months I have never cheated though I once had a chocolate croissant in my hand and could smell its flaky goodness and feel it crumble before I snapped out of my gluten-lust haze and handed it over to my boyfriend, who kindly informed me that it was stale and lackluster anyway.

I would also give anything for chicken fingers with a really thick and crunchy but soft coating--I've tried to make my own, but they just don't match up. And stuffing with gravy as well (the two I've tried haven't been so good). If you have any tried and true recipes for any of these things PLEASE let me know.

francelajoie Explorer

I WANT A BIG MAC REAAAAALLLLLLYYYYY BAD :(

AND A CANNOLI FOR DESSERT :huh:

jerseyangel Proficient

A Wendy's single hamburger with ketchup, mustard and pickles, french fries and a pepsi would make me very happy right now. I know there are subsitiutes I can do at home--but they are not the same! :angry:

Mandy F. Apprentice

I drove past Krispy Kreme today and they smelled so good!!!! I about died! I've been craving just about every recipie I know made with Campbell's Cream of Mushroom... and chocolate cake... Never liked bread, but I could eat chocolate cake like anyone else eats bread....

Lollie Enthusiast
I drove past Krispy Kreme today and they smelled so good!!!! I about died! I've been craving just about every recipie I know made with Campbell's Cream of Mushroom... and chocolate cake... Never liked bread, but I could eat chocolate cake like anyone else eats bread....

i feel your pain 9 about the Krispie Kreme) I think they must have big fans that pump that smell out to get us to want to go get one. I love chocolate cake too. I make the Namste cake---It's really good. I put my grandma's recipe for fudge frosting on the top! It is excellent, if I don't say so myself!

Lollie

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I miss everything McDonalds...mainly Big Macs (my all-time favorite). I want cheeseburgers, nuggets, Egg McMuffins, fries...I want it all!!

Nini,

You're not gonna believe this but even though I'm a donut lover I've never had a Krispy Kreme donut. :huh:

Maybe thats a good thing cuz I have no idea what I'm missing. I miss donuts in general...especially jelly-filled ones but the last donut I ever had gave me such a severe reaction...I'm just plain scared of them now.

Guest Robbin
:D Hey, great thread! Really, a good way to let off a little frustration at it all. I agree with Rachel on the McDonalds--anything sounds great--Pizza Hut and Arby's-Supreme Pizza with extra parmesan sprinkled on and a big ole' beef and cheddar sandwich from Arbys. Oh, and a jamocha shake. Weird, but, I don't think I even ate at those places that often before, but now when we drive by or see commercials, I literally drool. I think I am too hungry all the time! :blink:
tiredofdoctors Enthusiast
In 21 months I have never cheated though I once had a chocolate croissant in my hand and could smell its flaky goodness and feel it crumble before I snapped out of my gluten-lust haze and handed it over to my boyfriend, who kindly informed me that it was stale and lackluster anyway.

I would also give anything for chicken fingers with a really thick and crunchy but soft coating--I've tried to make my own, but they just don't match up. And stuffing with gravy as well (the two I've tried haven't been so good). If you have any tried and true recipes for any of these things PLEASE let me know.

I found some gluten-free chicken fingers at Whole Foods. Haven't tried them yet -- will put them in the convection oven to cook them, but will let you know if they're any good! . . . Lynne

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Anyone familiar with Togo's sandwiches? Maybe its just in California but I used to work there as a teenager and I've had hundreds of Togo's sandwiches over the years. Today I was really craving one big-time. A large turkey avocado with lots of mayo and some cheese sounds sooo good. I like Subway too but Togo's rules....the bread and meat is WAY better.

Archived