5 replies to this topic

#1 christa

christa

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 04:56 PM

I know that kraft has a gluten free pickle but I can't find them anywhere. The only pickles I can find are bick and valasic(I don't think I spelled that correctly). I was wondering if either of these are gluten free. I am really craving them lately. I read that Alymer pickles and coronation brand are gluten free but I haven't came across them. I live in a small town and we have a Sobey's and Extra foods neither of which carry them.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Felidae

Felidae

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:30 PM

You must be from Canada. Those are the only two that I have seen also. I've been craving them too, but I don't know if either are gluten-free. Good question.
Tapioca intolerant
First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease
Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.
Gluten-free since June 2005
Dx with IBS February 2005
Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

#3 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:11 PM

Pickles are generally gluten-free.

Vlasic is definitely gluten-free. :)
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#4 Wayne

Wayne

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:06 PM

The last time l ate Bicks pickles l had a reaction and l just tried some of their Bread and Butter pickles and some of their beets with my supper and had a reaction(diarrhea) again. I think l will steer clear for a while and try again in a week or so just to see if it was them for sure. The rest of my meal consisted of bar-b-q cooked chicken breast with just salt and pepper, spinach and boiled potatoes. I had jello for dessert so l don't see the rest of the meal being the culprit.

Wayne

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:01 PM

Bick's is a Canadian brand that has been owned since at least 2005 by Smucker's. Smucker's has a policy that they will clearly disclose any gluten in their products. I would expect that by now the labelling for Bick's complies with that policy.

Prior to the takeover, Bick's was part of Robin Hood Multifoods. Smucker's bought them, and then sold off most of the assets related to the flour-milling business, leaving them with Bick's. My brother-in-law worked in the finance department at RH for many years, before leaving due to the buy-out.

As mentioned, pickles are very rarely a problem. The old myth about vinegar being a source of gluten may be factor in people worrying needlessly.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 William Linington

William Linington

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:02 PM

The last time l ate Bicks pickles l had a reaction and l just tried some of their Bread and Butter pickles Wayne

I'm coming to this thread just a lil late, hehe... I don't believe Bicks makes anything that they call Bread and Butter pickles. Did you mean their Yum Yum pickles? They finally have a website, btw, bicks.ca, so I went there and checked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: