This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Restaruant Card

flagbabyds

Do you use a restaruant card?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

flagbabyds Collaborator

I was just wondering because my sister and I have a diaagreement about if we should use them or not, i do, she doesn't

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

What is a restaurant card?

flagbabyds Collaborator

a restaruant card is something that explains yyour allergy to the chef and says what you can have and what you can't have and how to help the person with the allergy

gf4life Enthusiast

I don't use one, but I do think it is a good idea. I just haven't found one that adequately describes all of my dietary needs. My kids and I are gluten free and dairy free, and two of us avoid soy. The small cards I've found just don't have enough info on them for me to feel comfortable that it is going to help keep my food safe. I don't eat out much at all, and when I do I stick with places I know have safe choices. It gets a little boring sometimes, but at least I feel alright after dinner!

God bless,

Mariann

flagbabyds Collaborator

I eat out a lot and a restaruant card helps a lot because when i am with my friends my parents aren't there to make sure it is totaly gluten-free

flagbabyds Collaborator

mariann,

you can always make your own restaruand card. it is very simple and then you might be able to dine out more. just put the allergens on it and how the chef can prepare your food so you are safe ang happy and have a good dinner out for once in a while.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I just don't trust leaving it to a piece of paper - even if I write it myself. I'd rather talk to the chef myself.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flagbabyds Collaborator

I almost always talk to the chef but if the chef cannot come out the waiter takes the card to the chef and then he can prepare something for you

Guest NitaB

Molly,

Where can I get a ready made card?

Nita

flagbabyds Collaborator

the book against the grain has them in the back in all different languages. they are very helpful when you are traveling to different countries

dianne Rookie

In my membership packet from the Detroit area Tri-County Celiac Support Group, was a copy of a restaurant card. In addition, in the book, "Against the Grain..." by Jax Peters Lowell, she includes restaurant cards, in different languages. This way, you can use the card if you're at a restaurant where the chef doesn't understand English, or if you're travelling overseas.

Dianne :)

celiac3270 Collaborator

Fortunately, I have only had to eat out once since going gluten-free (I don't like eating out to begin with, and dining out w/celiac disease scares me). I don't use a restaurant card. The one time I ate out I ate a baked potato (just ate the inside so I didn't need to worry about contamination w/skin). I also made sure that the steak didn't have any sauces put on it nor was it cooked on something that did....talking to the waiter worked out fine....it does make sense, but then again, I hardly eat out, anyway.

-celiac3270

flagbabyds Collaborator

I LOVE EATING OUT~!~ I could never live with just eating out of my house. It does make it easier that I have beed dx since 20 months so I know how to pretty much deal with annoying waiters, either don't eat anything or walk out. My mom helps a lot but I am going to Mexico on a school trip by myself I am going to have to deal with food by myself and also I am not fluent in spanish I am going to have to use a restaruant card that explins it is spanish.

Archived