This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

For Those Of You With Corn Allergies/sensitivites

danikali

Rachel--24 Collaborator
It is great ot hear that you are also benifitting from cutting corn out. What have you guys been eating? I am trying to make sure I am getting all the corn out of my diet. I still am trying to figure out which flours are alright. ANy useful suggestions on flours or foods would be greatly appreciated.

Maimia

I've only been using Ener-G rice flour this past week. All the mixes seem to have corn in them and Bob's is contaminated. I ordered a bunch of mixes and some flour from Miss Roben's allergy site. Its a dedicated facility as far as gluten goes and as far as corn....they thoroughly clean machinery after each flour so the risk of cc is very low.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

miamia Rookie

Rachel-

Thats funny. I ordered some ms. Robens flours last night. The one fluor I cannot seem to find that I like to use is Millet- I was using bobs red mill. Have you still been feeling good? any new improvements?

Miamia

I've only been using Ener-G rice flour this past week. All the mixes seem to have corn in them and Bob's is contaminated. I ordered a bunch of mixes and some flour from Miss Roben's allergy site. Its a dedicated facility as far as gluten goes and as far as corn....they thoroughly clean machinery after each flour so the risk of cc is very low.
Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel-

Thats funny. I ordered some ms. Robens flours last night. The one fluor I cannot seem to find that I like to use is Millet- I was using bobs red mill. Have you still been feeling good? any new improvements?

Miamia

Hmmm...I dont think I've seen any millet flour either (besides Bob's). I wasnt looking for that particular one because I've used the Bob's millet in the past and I didnt really like the taste.

I'm still feeling good. I'm on my newly formulated thyroid meds now. I've made a few mistakes experimenting with new foods. The things I have the most trouble with are oils and alcohol...like alcohol in chocolate chips or extracts or anything like that. I dont know how to figure out which oils are safe and I'm figuring out that no alcohol is ok. I'll try alcohol free extract and see if that works for me.

The good thing is that I'm able to pinpoint where my reactions came from and for the first time I can recognize the reaction coming on and I dont feel so "lost". I know which foods are safe now whereas before I felt like I couldnt eat anything.

I think the more corn I eliminate the more noticeable the reactions are....not more severe but just more noticeable. Last night I felt a little funny eating some chocolate chips and then when I layed down I could feel my heart beating and I was feeling restless and my mind was fuzzy. I woke up once with my hands and feet numb and tingling and in the morning I got some small itchy bumps.

Its been a rough 2 weeks because my best friends brother passed away and the funeral was yesterday. I really havent been as focused on the food as I normally am so I havent been good about writing in my journals the past 2 weeks.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Oh...another really obvious symptom I get is after I've eaten something wrong..my tongue turns white. I used to think this was candida because it was always there but once I started elimination diets it would come and go and I figured it was part of an allergic reaction. It shows up pretty much right after I've eaten the offending food....tons of fluid retention in the morning and stomach cramps are other obvious symptoms I get.

miamia Rookie
Oh...another really obvious symptom I get is after I've eaten something wrong..my tongue turns white. I used to think this was candida because it was always there but once I started elimination diets it would come and go and I figured it was part of an allergic reaction. It shows up pretty much right after I've eaten the offending food....tons of fluid retention in the morning and stomach cramps are other obvious symptoms I get.

Sorry to hear about your friends brother. The food thing would take a back seat to that.

God its amazing to hear how much improvement you have had. I use millet flour for these cookies I make- usualy bobs but arrowhead mills makes one too theya t least claim to clean their machines well but its probably just as well i for go the millet flour while i try to figure out whats going on. Soem of your reactions are like ine but my big ones are brain fog- crazy brian fog!! Bloating , I am way underweight and my stomach gets so distended I look completly freakish. Its insane. I get really bad chills, tingling in my arms especially, oh god I could go on and on. I found a company that makes corn free vanilla extract I wrote it down somewhere and I plan on ordering if you want I'll post the info.

I can't wait to get the flours I odered though because I bake most everything I eat and I don't want to use bobs if that could be contributing to how bad I feel.

Miamia

jerseyangel Proficient

I was doing some research, and came across this info. It talks about corn allergies, but lists many sources of corn--things I never thought about.

Open Original Shared Link

Mango04 Enthusiast

Is there like...an over abundance of corn in the world?????? Why is it in EVERYTHING? Reading that, it almost seems ridiculous to ever eat corn on purpose...even if you're not intolerant to it. We're just getting sooooo much of it in our diets!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I know! That's about what I thought when I came across it. I thought it would be interesting for all of the corn sensitive here to see.

Green12 Enthusiast
Why is it in EVERYTHING? Reading that, it almost seems ridiculous to ever eat corn on purpose...even if you're not intolerant to it. We're just getting sooooo much of it in our diets!

Mango, my guess would be because it's cheap. It's just like what has happened, or is happening, with soy, canola oil, etc., and that's why they put it in everything. It's cheap to process, cheap to put in products as filler, thickener, flavoring, sweetener, and so on.

Did anyone see Oprah yesterday? I'm not really the alarmist or activist type but I feel so strongly as consumers, and just in general people who care about their bodies and health, we have got to do something! Our food supply is killing us.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Soem of your reactions are like ine but my big ones are brain fog- crazy brian fog!! Bloating , I am way underweight and my stomach gets so distended I look completly freakish. Its insane. I get really bad chills, tingling in my arms especially, oh god I could go on and on. I found a company that makes corn free vanilla extract I wrote it down somewhere and I plan on ordering if you want I'll post the info.

I can't wait to get the flours I odered though because I bake most everything I eat and I don't want to use bobs if that could be contributing to how bad I feel.

Miamia

Wow, we do get alot of the same reactions. My hardest to deal with reaction is also brain-fog. It gets to where I cant really function at all. I had been on disability for 2 years and when I finally returned to work I wasnt able to go back to my old position because of the brain-fog. My work was very accomadating and I have a new position that doesnt require as much "thought". :) The brain fog is getting much better since I stopped taking all my supplements about a month ago. I get the tingling too but for some reason its only at night when I'm in bed. I get bloated but not as bad anymore....it was never so bad that anyone else would notice.

Could you let me know about the extract? I had read that Frontier alcohol-free vanilla extract was safe but thats the only one I've seen corn-free. You could also make your own. I've seen the Frontier brand but I'm scared to try it because my IgG food inloerance test showed a low reaction to vanilla. I didnt come back positive to any foods except very low on banana and a bunch of spices (including vanilla). If I react I wont know if its the vanilla or the corn?? :unsure:

Is there like...an over abundance of corn in the world?????? Why is it in EVERYTHING? Reading that, it almost seems ridiculous to ever eat corn on purpose...even if you're not intolerant to it. We're just getting sooooo much of it in our diets!

No kidding!! I had no idea until I started researching that they put corn in anything and everything. It really sucks having to be corn free. I think I would rather be gluten and dairy free then gluten and corn free. Heck....corn is in all the dairy products anyway! Having to be corn free pretty much wipes out ALL processed foods, canned foods, dairy, etc. I hope its one of those "temporary" intolerances that goes away in time.

miamia Rookie

The vanilla is -Singing dog Vanilla- ( I think I might order it just for the name)They have a web site I talked to the guy there though. He was so nice we talked for like a half hour. They have both one vanilla with corn alcohol one without so you just need to be specific.

That is crazy Rachel- I get dizzy, tingling worse when I get into bed too. I hate it becuse I will be absoultly exhausted and all excited to get into bed and then it hits!! So frustrating!

Wow, we do get alot of the same reactions. My hardest to deal with reaction is also brain-fog. It gets to where I cant really function at all. I had been on disability for 2 years and when I finally returned to work I wasnt able to go back to my old position because of the brain-fog. My work was very accomadating and I have a new position that doesnt require as much "thought". :) The brain fog is getting much better since I stopped taking all my supplements about a month ago. I get the tingling too but for some reason its only at night when I'm in bed. I get bloated but not as bad anymore....it was never so bad that anyone else would notice.

Could you let me know about the extract? I had read that Frontier alcohol-free vanilla extract was safe but thats the only one I've seen corn-free. You could also make your own. I've seen the Frontier brand but I'm scared to try it because my IgG food inloerance test showed a low reaction to vanilla. I didnt come back positive to any foods except very low on banana and a bunch of spices (including vanilla). If I react I wont know if its the vanilla or the corn?? :unsure:

No kidding!! I had no idea until I started researching that they put corn in anything and everything. It really sucks having to be corn free. I think I would rather be gluten and dairy free then gluten and corn free. Heck....corn is in all the dairy products anyway! Having to be corn free pretty much wipes out ALL processed foods, canned foods, dairy, etc. I hope its one of those "temporary" intolerances that goes away in time.

Corn really is in everything- all of a sudden I am wary of plastic utensils, napkins, packaging- I am scared to crss the line between cautiuos and hypochondriac.

Miamia

• 3 weeks later...
ajay Newbie

Wow, this is a great topic!

Unfortunately, the corn crop is heavily subsidized in the US, ergo it's cheap, ergo it's everywhere.

OK, overall notes/replies from someone who's been avoiding corn for ages:

1) Salt: iodized/table salt often has dextrose in it to keep it free flowing. Kosher or Sea Salt is OK.

2) baking powder: also has cornstarch to keep it from caking. You can get some made with potato starch instead, or make your own with baking soda & cream of tartar. NOTE that if something lists "baking powder" on the ingredient list w/o specifying further, you can't consider it safe.

3) Vanilla extract: one option is to make your own. slice two vanilla beans in half, place in a small (say, 4oz or less) dark-colored bottle, and fill the bottle up with potato vodka like Chopin (from potatoes, but $$). Put it in a dark, cool place for 6 weeks or so, and viola!

4) Xanthan gum: OK, I'm *really* confused now. I'm a biologist, and I was pretty sure this was derived from a bacteria (Xanthomonas). Could someone tell me where the corn connection comes in? I'd been considering it safe...

Thanks so much for the hints on supplies/sources and such!

Green12 Enthusiast
Wow, this is a great topic!

Unfortunately, the corn crop is heavily subsidized in the US, ergo it's cheap, ergo it's everywhere.

OK, overall notes/replies from someone who's been avoiding corn for ages:

1) Salt: iodized/table salt often has dextrose in it to keep it free flowing. Kosher or Sea Salt is OK.

2) baking powder: also has cornstarch to keep it from caking. You can get some made with potato starch instead, or make your own with baking soda & cream of tartar. NOTE that if something lists "baking powder" on the ingredient list w/o specifying further, you can't consider it safe.

3) Vanilla extract: one option is to make your own. slice two vanilla beans in half, place in a small (say, 4oz or less) dark-colored bottle, and fill the bottle up with potato vodka like Chopin (from potatoes, but $$). Put it in a dark, cool place for 6 weeks or so, and viola!

4) Xanthan gum: OK, I'm *really* confused now. I'm a biologist, and I was pretty sure this was derived from a bacteria (Xanthomonas). Could someone tell me where the corn connection comes in? I'd been considering it safe...

Thanks so much for the hints on supplies/sources and such!

Hi ajay,

If I understand correctly it is grown on corn?? I always get this confused, the others know it better and it is well talked about on the 'Avoiding Corn' board at Delphi. But, recently some of us 'avoiding corn' people have been investigating MSG allergies/sensitivities because it turns out MSG is in a lot of corn derived products and what I read on the MSG boards is that xanthan gum is actually fermented corn starch.

ajay Newbie
Hi ajay,

If I understand correctly it is grown on corn?? I always get this confused, the others know it better and it is well talked about on the 'Avoiding Corn' board at Delphi. But, recently some of us 'avoiding corn' people have been investigating MSG allergies/sensitivities because it turns out MSG is in a lot of corn derived products and what I read on the MSG boards is that xanthan gum is actually fermented corn starch.

Hm... well, in its original form, it's produced by a bacteria, so I doubt Xanthan Gum is fermented corn starch. The workhorse of the biotech idustry is genetically engineered bacteria, which are used to produce vitamins, drugs... and probably MSG. It seems entirely likely, however, that the bacteria itself is grown on/in a media that includes corn. So the question may be: "In the purification process, is all of the corn-derived media removed?" And I would guess the answer is "doubtful." So I think that may well explain the MSG issues as well.

I'm always frustrated when yet another ingredient is crossed off my list. @%*!!

ajay Newbie

Another question for y'all...

(I'm going nuts since I found this resource--it's amazing)

What do you take for painkillers?

Antihistimines?

Thanks!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Another question for y'all...

(I'm going nuts since I found this resource--it's amazing)

What do you take for painkillers?

Antihistimines?

Thanks!

Sorry, I cant help you with that one....I dont take any painkillers.

The Xanthan is grown on corn. From what I understand most if not all xanthan here in the US is grown on corn. I believe yeast is also grown on corn.

ajay Newbie
Sorry, I cant help you with that one....I dont take any painkillers.

Yeah, I was afraid of that.

When I last had wheat by accident, I had such a bad reaction that I really had to take benedryl to sleep & keep me from scratching my skin off. I found the formulation with the fewest number of evils, but I was basically trading one set of symptoms for another...

Cape Newbie
Yeah, I was afraid of that.

When I last had wheat by accident, I had such a bad reaction that I really had to take benedryl to sleep & keep me from scratching my skin off. I found the formulation with the fewest number of evils, but I was basically trading one set of symptoms for another...

ajay,

I have found an anti-inflammatory at Whole Foods which I would guarentee doesn't have corn in it, though it even says it doesn't. (I would be itching like crazy if it did.) It's Celadrin. I've been taking it everyday for a month and a half and my joint pain is nearly all gone. I was given samples, took them and went back the next day to buy a bottle.

Good luck!

Cape

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor

I just went corn free a week or 2 ago so I don't know too much about what to look out for...

I got an email back from a company stating "There is no corn kernel in the xylitol, so those with allergies to corn have no reaction to it."

However, on their website, it states that "Xylitol is a natural sugar. It is derived from sources such as fruits, vegetables, corn stalks/husks/cobs, birch wood, nutshells, etc. Xylitol is classified as a sugar alcohol and small amounts are produced in the human body."

Would those of you who have tested intolerant or are just avoiding corn on your own consume this product or no? I don't know if the corn kernel reference is just for those with allergies as opposed to intolerances.

dlp252 Apprentice
Would those of you who have tested intolerant or are just avoiding corn on your own consume this product or no? I don't know if the corn kernel reference is just for those with allergies as opposed to intolerances.

Just avoiding corn here. No, I don't think I would consume it. I wish I had a good head for remembering what I read because I've read something about why one shouldn't but unfortunately until I find the final culprits that I'm intolerant to, my brain fog is getting in the way. :ph34r:

ajay Newbie
I just went corn free a week or 2 ago so I don't know too much about what to look out for...

I got an email back from a company stating "There is no corn kernel in the xylitol, so those with allergies to corn have no reaction to it."

However, on their website, it states that "Xylitol is a natural sugar. It is derived from sources such as fruits, vegetables, corn stalks/husks/cobs, birch wood, nutshells, etc. Xylitol is classified as a sugar alcohol and small amounts are produced in the human body."

Hmm. I have to admit, I'm all for minimally processed foods. Definitely one of the problems seems to be that either the allergenic protein in corn is very stable/hard to get rid of, or it's not just the protein that causes a reaction. A lot of folks react to things that come from corn but supposedly "the corn has been processed out of it." I react to dextrose, which is pretty refined corn sugar. I can understand that there's probably minimal corn kernels in the process of making xylitol, but I'm not sure that the cob itself is free of whatever the corn allergen is. In other words, I pesonally wouldn't try it. I've given up on trying to eat anything "sugar free."

Corn has far too many forms, but there's a lot of info out there (and even on this site) about what to avoid. I've gotten to the point where if it has more than about 5-6 ingredients, I don't bother reading 'em-- I just put it back on the shelf. I spend way too much time in grocery stores...

Archived