This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

List Of Power Bars/gels That Are gluten-free

Sandyo

Sandyo Apprentice

I'm having a hard time with my protein bars, energy bars, protein powders, gels, etc...

Does anyone have a list of what is gluten-free. Like Cliff Bars have oats....does anyone eat them and do ok? Should they be avoided???

Anyone use Hammer products????

Help, I need energy!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I, personally , wouldn't eat anything with oats. Cliff Nectar Bars are gluten-free.

Ksmith Contributor

I eat Clif bars and they don't bother me, but I' also eat oats. I did just have for the first time a Lara bar--that was really very yummy...can't say for sure if it is really an energy but, but it was super yummy :)

~K

Felidae Enthusiast

Sharkies are gluten-free and I think cf.

Jennas-auntie Apprentice

Hi! Jelly Belly has just come out with "Sport Beans" recently. I checked with the company and they are gluten free (here is the response)

Your Question :

Are your Sport Beans gluten free? Thanks-

----------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for visiting our site. We hope the following information answers your question.

Thank you for writing. You will be happy to know that our Sport Beans are gluten free. Thanks again for writing and have a sweet day.

----------------------------------------------------------

I actually haven't tried these yet myself, but hear they are good and portable, though a bit on the sweet side. Here is the site that has more info on them if you are interested: Open Original Shared Link

Sounds kind of crazy to me, but then again it's nice to have something that isn't always a bar.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Sharkies chews, Clif Nectar Bars, Organic Food Bars, Go Raw Bars, Alpsnak bars...

Jennas-auntie Apprentice

Also just found this listing, though you'd want to double check probably. Give some ideas on where to start and what people like. Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

winki4 Apprentice

GeniSoy soy protien shake powder is gluten free and wonderful! I have the vanilla but found other flavors gluten free as well. They have a website too www.genisoy.com. Enjoy!

Wendy

francelajoie Explorer

I use Think Thin Bars. They are actually good...compared to the Lara bars :ph34r:

Sorry...just cannot bring myself to like those.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I like Ruth's Flax Bars. (Some of the hemp bar flavors have gluten - always check ingredient labels!) They're the closest thing to a real granola bar I've found. (I don't do oats.)

Mango04 Enthusiast
I like Ruth's Flax Bars. (Some of the hemp bar flavors have gluten - always check ingredient labels!) They're the closest thing to a real granola bar I've found. (I don't do oats.)

Here's another close thing to a gronola bar

Open Original Shared Link

ChristineBBB Newbie

Hi -

From recent calls and research, I've compiled the folloiwng gluten-free sports products. I have these on a spreadsheet with notes but wasn't sure how to do an attachment. I'd be happy to provide the spreadsheet if anyone can help me figure out how to post it.

Gatorade Thirst Quencher, Endurance Formula, Energy Drink, Nutrition Shake and Propel Fitness Water

PowerAde

Ultima electrolyte drink

GU and GU2O

Clif shot Bloks

Hammer Heed - per label

Ensure

PureFit Nutrition Bars - peanut flavor is very good www.purefit.com

Natural Bar - Peanut Crunch - yum Open Original Shared Link

Oskri Sesame and Quinoa bars, gluten-free per label, Open Original Shared Link

Cheers,

ChristineBBB (belly behaving badly)

---------------------------------------------------

Diagnosed Celiac via biopsy in April 2005, age 39, a few days after running Boston

Osteoporosis at age 38

Hypothyroid since 19

• 3 weeks later...
MustLoveGoblins Newbie

Bumble Bars are gluten- and dairy-free: Open Original Shared Link

All except one flavor (lemon) has nuts, so I've only tried that kind. It's not bad. Heavy on the sesame seeds and quite sweet.

Guest BERNESES
Bumble Bars are gluten- and dairy-free: Open Original Shared Link

All except one flavor (lemon) has nuts, so I've only tried that kind. It's not bad. Heavy on the sesame seeds and quite sweet.

I just tried a Bumble Bar for the first time the other day- yummy and good for you!

lapetit8 Explorer

I'm fairly sure most of the flavors of Balance Bars are gluten free.

powderprincess Rookie

I too recently tried a bumble bar. I enjoyed it. :D

• 2 weeks later...
trents Grand Master

Costco sells some gluten-free protein bars and protein mix. From just looking on the ingredient lable, the Fudge Graham flavored Zone bars (but not the Chocolate Peanut flavor Zone bars) appear to be gluten free and the Pro-Rated protein whey protein powder is gluten free. The Alpine Vanilla Pro-Rated whey protein powder is pretty tastey.

Guest schmenge
I'm fairly sure most of the flavors of Balance Bars are gluten free.

Most are BUT they also make them on equipment which handles wheat products so they will not call them gluten-free.

I'dratherbecycling Rookie

I'm a big fan of Prana bars. Taste good, and don't sit like a rock in my stomach, like some bars do!

• 3 weeks later...
wozzy Apprentice

So are PowerGels not gluten-free? On the powerbar site, it tells you not to eat the bars because they have gluten in them, but it doesn't say anything about the gels.

pesto126 Newbie

Its LaraBars for me.. sure - they are just fruits and nuts but if you're looking for the instant calories (ie: energy) and some potein.. they are great. Here's one: Cashew Cookie.. just cashews and dates. 230 cal, protein 5g, 0g chol, fiber 3g.

4getgluten Rookie

I like Bumblebars and Larabars - and cashew is my fav. I just bought some new Larabars called Maya. I want to try one, but dinner is only an hour away. Has anyone tired these yet?

tarnalberry Community Regular
I like Bumblebars and Larabars - and cashew is my fav. I just bought some new Larabars called Maya. I want to try one, but dinner is only an hour away. Has anyone tired these yet?

I've had the regular chocolate and chocolate mint. They're both fine, but very much like the regular larabars in texture. Having made similar things, I'm a little disappointed they don't improve the texture, but it's fab for grabbing and throwing in my daypack for a hike.

4getgluten Rookie

Thanks Tiffany - I was also hoping that the new bars would be a different somehow. Oh well. I like having a Larabar on hand, they're very filling.

KerriAnne Rookie

This is familiar territory for me! I'll apologize in advance for the looonnnggg reply!!!

I did a search when I got diagnosed back in 2004, and here are the replies I got then from PowerBar & Clif Bar:

FROM POWERBAR:

Thank you for contacting PowerBar on the Internet. We welcome

questions and comments from our consumers.

We appreciate your comments and feedback. The PowerGel is gluten free.

Please call the consumer group at 1-800-58-power with further questions. Thanks for your

support!

Sincerely,

Steve

Consumer Relations

Ref: Y9504593

FROM CLIFBAR:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in our products. While we do not source any ingredients from wheat or dairy in our CLIF and Luna Bars, unfortunately, they are not gluten free. Gluten is found in the rolled oats and barley malt in the Clif Bars and most flavors of Luna Bars. In addition to malt, MOJO contains organic pretzel pieces made from wheat, which is also a source of gluten.

Three flavors of Luna Bar lack the barley malt, and only contain the rolled oats. Many gluten intolerant folks find that small amounts of rolled oats are tolerable. These three flavors of Luna are Cherry Covered Chocolate, Chocolate Peppermint Stick, and Sweet Dreams. We also have a new high protein bar out, Clif Builder’s Bar, which also lacks the barley malt and only contains rolled oats. All three flavors of the Clif Builder’s Bar are free of barley malt.

I hope this information helps, and I’ll certainly log your vote for us to make a gluten free product!

Cheers,

Thomas

For training (I do marathons, shorter road races, and triathlons), I use PowerGels and GU, as well as Gatorade and GU2O. I recently tried the CLIF Shot Bloks; according to the package ingredients, they are gluten-free.

Certainly we Celiacs have some unique challenges in fueling ourselves for fitness, but don't be discouraged...it's definitely do-able!

Good luck!

~Kerri

Archived