56 replies to this topic

#1 coco_loco

coco_loco

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:59 AM

Hey, don't this'll be as fun as my other topic!

I've managed to eat some gluten (yet again!) within the last 48 hours. I've had minimal D but quite a lot of gas/bloating/funny noises in my tummy and I'm brain-fogged and down.

I was wondering if any of you know of any helpful action to take rather than just waiting to get over it? I've taken vitamins, echinacea, acidophilus and aloe vera juice (as I do every day) but they don't seem a huge help. Sometimes, when I get really bad D I want to take Imodium but I would have thought that would just keep the gluten in my system longer, potentially doing more damage. Right now, I'd love a dose of colonic irrigation- I've never tried it, but I've started dreaming about it! I wondered if anyone knew of any preparation which helps when you get glutened, and which is a bit more practical in the short term than a colonic!

Thanks for sharing x

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 penguin

penguin

Chelsea

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:16 AM

I always drink a red bull at the first sign of glutening (I'm having one now!). The caffene brings the energy up to a halfway decent level, and all the b-vitamins help the brainfog. Immediatley after glutening, it's my best weapon. I'm sure the niacin does something good, too. I have problems taking regular vitamins, so it really works for me.

Also a healthy dose of my bentyl and some tylenol help the tummy. I would say immodium is fine.
Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy
We'll all float on, alright
Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

#3 cgilsing

cgilsing

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:20 AM

I wish I had better advice for this one.....I generally end up just suffering through it, but I know some people swear by anything with ginger.....if you get D immodium will help.......and there has been discussion about nuleve for cramping. Hope you feel better soon!

#4 coco_loco

coco_loco

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:33 AM

Thank you both! I wasn't sure red bull was gluten-free, I'll try some. I might mention those drugs to my doctor when I next see him.

I've heard a lot about ginger. That's an old Indian remedy for an upset stomach. I'll have a go. :)

#5 GreySaber

GreySaber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:53 AM

I carry cards of immodium in my wallet.

There is a solution which I call the "Roto rooter" technique.

Basically, you eat WAY TOO DAMN MUCH FIBER, and keep eating it. It's like.... ramming a toilet plunger through a garden hose. pushes everything before it. A very large bowl of brown rice seems to work.

#6 odcdinah

odcdinah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:02 AM

So the fiber helps you combat the glutening effect?

]
[color=#3333FF]

Diagnosed 4/06 by positive biopsy and tissue transglutamase after only 4 months of being sick.
Recently married (July, 06) to a wonderfully supportive, non-celiac husband!

#7 cgilsing

cgilsing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:07 AM

I've tried fiber before and it didn't do anything for me once I already had C. A Dr. told me that fiber can actually have the opposite affect if you are already C too......I would procede with caution.

#8 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:16 AM

echinacea, if you've been glutened, may not be a good idea, since you are boosting you're immune system, but it's an immune response gone awry that's the problem.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#9 coco_loco

coco_loco

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:21 AM

echinacea, if you've been glutened, may not be a good idea, since you are boosting you're immune system, but it's an immune response gone awry that's the problem.

Ooooh! Good point!! Think I'll try fibre as suggested.

#10 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:47 AM

I always drink a red bull at the first sign of glutening (I'm having one now!). The caffene brings the energy up to a halfway decent level, and all the b-vitamins help the brainfog. Immediatley after glutening, it's my best weapon. I'm sure the niacin does something good, too. I have problems taking regular vitamins, so it really works for me.

Also a healthy dose of my bentyl and some tylenol help the tummy. I would say immodium is fine.

NUTRITION FACTS & INGREDIENTS
Red Bull Energy Drink

Ingredients: carbonated water, sucrose, glucose, sodium citrate, taurine, glucuronolactone, caffeine, inositol, niacin, D-pantothenol, pyridoxine HCL, vitamin B12, artificial flavours, colors

Nutrition Facts: Serving Size: 8.3 fl. oz Servings per Container: 1 Amount per serving: Calories: 110 Total Fat: 0g Sodium: 200mg Protein: 0g Total Carbohydrates: 28g Sugars: 27g

Red Bull Sugar Free

Ingredients: carbonated water, sodium citrate, taurine, glucuronolactone, caffeine, acesulfame k, aspartame, inositol, xanthan gum, niacinamide, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hcl, vitamin b12, artificial flavors, colors

Nutrition Facts: serving size 1 can; calories 10; fat 0g; sodium 200mg; total carb 3g; sugars og; protein less than 1g; niacin 100%; vitamin b6 250%; vitamin b12 80%; pantothenic acid 50%

RED BULL WILL MAKE ME VIOLENTLY SICK. I SEE WHY!

I've heard a lot about ginger. That's an old Indian remedy for an upset stomach. I'll have a go. :)

GINGER MAKES THINGS WORSE FOR ME.

SIMPLE IS BETTER IN MY CASE. I POP A COUPLE IMMODIUM PILLS OR LIQUID, AND THEN I DRINK A BOTTLE OF PEDILYTE. PEDILYTE IS THE SAFEST WAY TO REPLACE YOUR LOST ELECTROLYTES LOST FROM STEATORRHEA-DIARRHEA. A SMART DOCTOR WILL TELL YOU THAT. IT HAS HELPED ME MORE THEN ANYTHING! TRY IT -- YOU'LL SEE...

#11 coco_loco

coco_loco

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:09 AM

Ms Sillyak: What's pedilyte? I had to google it. Is it something to do with infants, something meant to help babies? (I'm in Britain- never heard of it). Thanks for the advice, though. It's very welcome! X

#12 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 11:37 AM

Ms Sillyak: What's pedilyte? I had to google it. Is it something to do with infants, something meant to help babies? (I'm in Britain- never heard of it). Thanks for the advice, though. It's very welcome! X

pedialyte.com/

www.pedialyte.com/thisispedialyte/variety.cfm#singles

advantages

Here is a free sample offer

I don't know where this site is from but useful info.

This stuff is a life saver for me. If I'm laying on the bathroon floor after a seizure and steatorrhea diarrhea that has me weak and frail I drink this stuff. It's like a miracle treatment. I keep a bottle un-opened under my bathrrom sink, so I can get to it easy from the floor. When I feel like I'm shaky, or weak or like I have no blood in my veins, this perfoms miracles for me.

Yes, it's for babies. Some other companies make it in the health-food stores, but they have additive I don't want. The one I drink is the un-flavored one (clear). This is better at replacing electrolytes, more so then gatorade or sports drinks. It's expensive $4 or $5 a bottle. But it really really works. TRY IT!

#13 coco_loco

coco_loco

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:05 PM

Thank you! I'll see if I can get hold of some. Take care. X :)

#14 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:46 PM

I got glutened yesterday and today I was craving bread... so I made gluten free pantry muffins (added banana's for potassium) and then for lunch had brown rice and steamed broccoli... I've been drinking a ton of water... the "D" seems to have stopped but now I am all crampy and bloated and freakin ITCHY!!! at first I couldn't see a rash but now I've got a visible bumpy rash all over my body...

#15 GreySaber

GreySaber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 01:05 PM

Actually the idea of the heavy fiber to is push everything out of your intestines as quickly as possible. Something like a couple of bowls of brown rice will do that. It won't clean the blood, but the sooner it's out of your intestines the better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: