This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Do You Do When You Get Glutened?

coco-loco

jknnej Collaborator

I take Zofran or Phenegran. Zofran is more expensive so I take it when I can't lay in bed. I take Phenegran and it works pretty well cus' it knocks me out and when I feel that bad I'd rather be sleeping, anyway!

Don't take the Ipecac or whatever syrup. It will keep you vomiting until you are just dry heaving and nauseated for days afterward. Not worth it by any means.

Usually I just lie in bed and sleep it off.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

WARNING IMODIUM liquid is NOT GLUTEN FREE

I was reactive to the liquid IMODIUM so I called IOpen Original Shared Link and guess what-- Imodium liquid is NOT free of GLUTEN. BEWARE! It has SOY in it also and SPLENDA is in the liquid.

The woman was very very nice, and told me that CORN is what they use as a binder.

So for us celiacs that are at the stage of the disease with seconary food allergies to CORN. This product although we think it is helping us, we might be doing more unseen damage to our bidy with the corn. AND The liquid had GLUTEN!

CALL the number yourself and speak up.

penguin Community Regular
WARNING IMODIUM liquid is NOT GLUTEN FREE

I was reactive to the liquid IMODIUM so I called IOpen Original Shared Link and guess what-- Imodium liquid is NOT free of GLUTEN. BEWARE! It has SOY in it also and SPLENDA is in the liquid.

The woman was very very nice, and told me that CORN is what they use as a binder.

So for us celiacs that are at the stage of the disease with seconary food allergies to CORN. This product although we think it is helping us, we might be doing more unseen damage to our bidy with the corn. AND The liquid had GLUTEN!

CALL the number yourself and speak up.

Sorry? I found this confusing...

Please correct me:

it has gluten from wheat, barley, rye, or oats

It has corn

It has soy

It has sucralose (splenda)

If it does have gluten from WBRO, which component is it in? The only sketchy thing I saw was flavors?

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

I called the 1800 # on the IMODIUM web site.

I asked the lady the ingredients in the Imodium liquid and then the pills. She looked up the liquid and said

LIQUID IMODIUM - CONTAINS GLUTEN (from wheat and grains) she said there is also a flavoring that contains gluten. And SPLENDA is the sweetener they use and IS CROSS CONTAMINATED with SOY.

PILLS IMODIUM - CONTAINS CORN. That was as far as I got. I didn't ask about SOY I was so upset.

I used my time with her educating her on the simple things important to know. And, I went deeper in hopes my converstation was recorded and logged into the "EARS". I asked her to write down a title of a book, that the brains in their labs should read called "DANGEROUS GRAINS..." I told her of a large grass roots movement happening around the USA of people with celiac disease, their families and friends to provoke change and awareness to big business, drug companies and our government.

And how we are going to demand ingredient labels like on food, but for drugs, beauty products, skin care and everything else... just like us not knowing IMODIUM LIQUID has GLUTEN in it.

I spoke to her about how millions and millions of people with celiac disease rely on Imodium, and how we have believe their product to be a safe drug to use with celiac disease when in fact they are making use sick(er).

Think about this long and hard. Think of the impact this has had on our health.

Tomorrow I'm going to call my compound RX guy and ask if he can make it, caps or liquid without the poison in IMODIUM.

beelzebubble Contributor

it's nausea that predominates for me. i have diarrhea too, but the nausea and stomach pain are what floors me. i've found that nothing works better for me than herbal tea with lots of honey and some lemon. it usually takes about an hour to work, but then i'm significantly better for at least the next few hours. then i just keep drinking tea and eating mild things like homemade chicken soup and i'm, if not okay, at least not ready to off myself.

:)

Generic Apprentice
If you look at my post, you'll see that Ive suffered alot with celiac disease (accidentally). What kind of "seizures' do you have? Because I think I was having them, but Im not sure. I wanted a hospital, but, didnt think it would help. Suffered terribly falling to the floor off the toilet bowl--couldnt even keep my head/body up. I was crying and basically freaking out.

Skin flared up with cystic acne, had constant dizziness, feeling like I had to black out if I wasnt laying in bed. And-----the nausea!!!!!! OMG!!!!! a nightmare

Can you share more info about what you (or anyone else) do during and after a CA?

Alot of people have recommended ginger. Never tried it, not sure about it. Immodium helps alot, lots of brown rice, baked potato and water helped me.

Look foward to hearing from you guys!!!!

Please check out my recent post.......thanks! I'd love for more people to read it and share.

erica

It sounds like you were severely dehydrated. I also get that way and have to go the E.R. Some times I start to hallucinate and actually passs out, also.

Girl Ninja Newbie

If I end up with bad D I use dark chocolate. The cocoa in 2 bars of quality dark chocolate is generally enough to clear it up. If not, repeat in a few hours. Conversely, if you are even the least bit C you should definitely avoid dark chocolate.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived