This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just Found Out This Monday 4 - 24

RippinRick

RippinRick Newbie

Just found out this week that I have "It". I finally have a diagnose for my 19 years of canker sores. Is it a blessing or not? Now, will my 2 kids have it? My wife who is a health nut with all these supplements is overwhelmed with what to make, what to buy! It is a challenge for her. We already eat grass feed beef and chicken along with farm fresh veggies this year! She has more to do now.

Now, I wonder if my mother died of it? She had lower back pain, very skinny, could never keep food down if we ate out and low iron, arthritis bad. Very poor health.

I plan on taking care of myself the best of my ability. I am not a sweet or carb junky which helps. I was wondering if I stick to the diet if my allergies and asthma would get better? It is nice to know there are others out there, after having canker sores for 19 years, the doctors act is if you have something catchy.

I am just so tired. Is this typical?

I have kept my job for 15 years. Take naps at lunch. Take a nap when I get home from work. Just tired.

Your given hurtles in life to overcome, with the grace of God you can succeed.

With suffering comes peace.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lollie Enthusiast

Welcome to the board!!!!

I know that fatigue is definantly a symptom of all this! It isn't unusual to be very tired!

There is a chance your kids have it, it is genetic. As far as the allergies and asthma- really don't know if this will help those or not. But, I wouldn't be surprised if you did get some releif!

Again welcome to the board! Ask whatever you want, we are here for you!

Lollie

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Rick--welcome in! :) You've come to the right place. Feel free to ask any questions you might have--we've all been where you are now.

The fatigue is typical. It will get better, but that takes time. Have you been checked for anemia? Also, a multivitamin is a good idea, too.

Your mom very well could have had a problem with gluten. It is a genetic disease--it might be a good idea to get your kids screened. Catching this early, and going on the gluten-free diet is key to avoiding additional health problems down the line.

RippinRick Newbie
Welcome to the board!!!!

I know that fatigue is definantly a symptom of all this! It isn't unusual to be very tired!

There is a chance your kids have it, it is genetic. As far as the allergies and asthma- really don't know if this will help those or not. But, I wouldn't be surprised if you did get some releif!

Again welcome to the board! Ask whatever you want, we are here for you!

Lollie

Thank you. B)

Hi Rick--welcome in! :) You've come to the right place. Feel free to ask any questions you might have--we've all been where you are now.

The fatigue is typical. It will get better, but that takes time. Have you been checked for anemia? Also, a multivitamin is a good idea, too.

Your mom very well could have had a problem with gluten. It is a genetic disease--it might be a good idea to get your kids screened. Catching this early, and going on the gluten-free diet is key to avoiding additional health problems down the line.

Thanks! I do need to get my kids screened. My daughter has been check for food allergies to only find she is allergic to chocolate. Flu symtoms hit when she eats to much. Plus she has been diagnosed with depression during the time of my mother's sickness and death. Just a little scared that I passed this on if they have it. My wife cleaned the cabinets tonight - 2 full groceries sacks. Giving them away. Thanks again.

tarnalberry Community Regular
Is it a blessing or not?

Now, will my 2 kids have it?

My wife who is a health nut with all these supplements is overwhelmed with what to make, what to buy! It is a challenge for her. We already eat grass feed beef and chicken along with farm fresh veggies this year! She has more to do now.

Now, I wonder if my mother died of it? She had lower back pain, very skinny, could never keep food down if we ate out and low iron, arthritis bad. Very poor health.

I am not a sweet or carb junky which helps.

I was wondering if I stick to the diet if my allergies and asthma would get better?

I am just so tired. Is this typical?

Welcome!

Is it a blessing? Well, in so far as you can be much healthier and feel much better now that you know what's wrong and can deal with it, yes! In so far as it requires changing your diet to something that not everyone else has to follow, no. But it is what it is, and it certainly isn't the worst thing out there.

Will your kids have it? It is genetic, but having the genes for celiac (even one of them) just means that you have the possibility of developing it. It's estimated that up to 30% of the population may carry at least one celiac gene, but only 1% of the population has celiac disease, so there is aboslutely no guaratee that they will get it, but it's worthwhile to have them monitored every few years and should symptoms arise.

If you already eat healthy and cook from scratch, you don't really have a lot more work to do. The foods you have to avoid are wheat, barley, rye, and oats. You won't find those ingredients in a piece of chicken or steak, or in whole fruits or vegetables, or in beans, lentils, gluten-free grains like corn, rice, millet, or quinoa, or in thinks like olive oil, nuts, and seeds. It's process, packaged foods that have flour, modified food starch, and other gluten containing ingredients in them that are harder to avoid. Take a look at the safe/forbidden list on the celiac.com site, and keep reading here for more tips.

With those symptoms, your mother could have had celiac disease, and could have died from complications of it, but obviously, there's no way to be sure at this point.

Some people do find that the diet helps their allergies and asthma, and particularly helps their fatigue levels, which is one of the primary symptoms reported for celiac disease.

Again, welcome to the board. You've found a very helpful group of people here, who have a lot of very useful knowledge! :-) Gotta love 'em all.

Laura Apprentice

Is having celiac a blessing? Probably not. But being diagnosed with it definitely is. Especially since it sounds like your eating habits won't be as hard to adapt as some people's would.

One thing to be sure of is that you don't overthink the diet. If you look at it, a large part of the things you already eat will be fine with only small adjustments. Start with the basics and then give yourself time to figure out stuff like baking (which does have a learning curve).

Canadian Karen Community Regular

First thing you need to do is the happy dance, since the hardest part for you is already over. You FINALLY got a diagnosis after years of symptoms.

You will have a whole ton of questions about this disease and this diet, so just fire away, we're used to it! ;) There is really not too much we HAVEN'T discussed here! The only stupid question is the one not asked.......

You have gotten great advice so far, I just wanted to mention that you also need to check your medications, supplements, vitamins, lotions, shampoo, toothpaste, mouthwash, hand soap, etc. There is hidden gluten in all of those things. Also, gluten is in really weird places too like envelope and stamp glue, play dough, drinks (like some orange juices, etc.).

I would highly recommend one of the first things you need to do (after the happy dance!) is download the gluten free list at delphi. This is a list that is categorized into convenient sections which makes it alot easier when shopping to find a product to see if it is okay.

Go to www.delphiforums.com

On the left hand side, click on "Health & Wellness"

The first (sometimes second) forum that comes up is the "Celiac Disease On-Line Support Group" click on that.

(You will need to register to enter the site, but it is free and SOOOOO worth it!)

Scroll down until you see "Gluten Free Products List" Click on that and you will be absolutely amazed at the mainstream products out there that are perfectly safe for us. Also, there are companies that are very "celiac friendly", Kraft being the main one. Any Kraft product will clearly list in the ingredients if it contains anything we shouldn't have. (i.e. in their ingredients, they would list "Modified Wheat Starch" instead of just "Modified Food Starch") We love Kraft!

As far as support and knowledge, you will not find a better place than here! There's a bunch of really great people here who are always willing to help!

Welcome to the board!

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived