Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Nght Owls?

Are you a nightowl? Have trouble sleeping?   37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find yourself up at hours you ought not to be?

• I am up at all hours, frequently energized when I should be sleeping.
    • I am up at all hours exausted and wishing I could sleep.
    • Both of the above, at differing times.
    • Either of the above, but only when glutened
    • I sleep like a baby, all through the night.
    • I slept like a baby, screaming frequently and waking those around me

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 posts in this topic

Hey, how many of you are night owls? I'm curious how many celiacs have sleep issues.

Ads by Google:

Collagenous colitis is very nocturnal. It loves to wake me around 2 or 3 a.m., I have to go around 5 or 6 times, have cramps and abdominal pain for awhile then it settles down around 5 or 6 a.m. (just in time for the kids to get up! <_< )

That is why so many of my posts are through the night.......

Karen

:blink: Does it ever get better? Just into this problem a few months but have missed a lot of good sleep!!

So lack energy bigtime. Looking forward to a GOOD night's sleep. Just found i also have "dumping syndrome", anyone else have that problem? Need to eat many small meals and no liquid with meals, just 1 hour after meal. am sure will get used to this too. :) evie

Pre-gluten free I had a lot of sleep problems but that is rare now.

Well, I COULD sleep like a baby all night, if I wasn't at my best after 8:00 PM normally. Plus, I can't function (as in nervous breakdown) unless I get enough privacy and quiet time every day. Unfortunately, with a teenager (who loves to blast loud music and is a hyper kid, who never stops talking) and a 20-year-old (who isn't much better), and a husband who likes to work from home at least twice a week, the only time I get the peace I need is during the night. Plus, I tend to forget about time and space when doing research on the Internet (or playing games), or reading, and when I look at the clock, it could 'suddenly' be 4:00 AM! :o I don't necessarily mean to go to bed that 'late' (early), but it happens more often than I really like.

From very shortly after they brought me home from the hospital, I took a long time to fall asleep but once asleep slept through the night. As I've gotten older, I've figured out that my body clock just wants me up at night and asleep until mid-day, and that if I go to sleep very very late, I fall asleep relatively quickly (for me anyway) and am generally much happier. Doesn't seem at all connected to celiac, given that the basic pattern was set before I was on any solid foods at all and hasn't changed since I went gluten-free.

I slept like a baby, screaming frequently and waking those around me

:lol::lol::lol::lol: SOOOO TRUE!!!

I just love when ppl say "yea I slept like a baby" and Im like, "who got up 10 times ot change your diaper and feed you"?

From very shortly after they brought me home from the hospital, I took a long time to fall asleep but once asleep slept through the night. As I've gotten older, I've figured out that my body clock just wants me up at night and asleep until mid-day, and that if I go to sleep very very late, I fall asleep relatively quickly (for me anyway) and am generally much happier. Doesn't seem at all connected to celiac, given that the basic pattern was set before I was on any solid foods at all and hasn't changed since I went gluten-free.

That describes me, exactly! I'm happy to be self-employed so I can set my own hours, I never make appointments before noon if I can help it. :D

Interestingly, whenever I get a really good stretch of time without glutenings, meaning I'm feeling my healthiest and best, I only need six-seven hours of sleep, I sleep like a log (not a baby!) and wake up without an alarm clock at an hour that surprises me!

Pauliina

I have ALWAYS been a night owl. I worked at a hospital on the 7p-7a shift and LOVED it. I thrive at night. I don't know why. My husband jokes that we will be ready for kids because he will take days and I will take nights. I am up till nearly dawn, and then I sleep till 4 in the afternoon. I don't work right now, so it is ok. But I will be screwed if I have to get a job! I am taking internet classes so I am at my own pace/schedule. Works for me, for now. And I am going to nursing school, so perhaps I will be on the night shift again one day. I love nights!

I sleep like a baby through the night and have not really had much trouble sleeping. Now, I will wake up easily to any little noise but can get back to sleep quick. I am however a night owl but I am a college student so what do you expect lol.

I had horrible insomnia up until I went gluten free. It was so bad I had to start medicating because I would turn into a zombie by the end of the week. Now I'm in bed by 11:30 on weeknights and waking me up is a feat, but I'm up by 7 on work days. This is from someone who lived on 2 hours a night for years, just from never being able to fall asleep. Though a friday a couple weeks ago I stayed up all night, but it was a party so it doesn't count :)

Elonwy