arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Nght Owls?

• Please log in to reply

Poll: Are you a nightowl? Have trouble sleeping? (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you find yourself up at hours you ought not to be?

1. I am up at all hours, frequently energized when I should be sleeping. (5 votes [13.51%])

Percentage of vote: 13.51%

2. I am up at all hours exausted and wishing I could sleep. (8 votes [21.62%])

Percentage of vote: 21.62%

3. Both of the above, at differing times. (14 votes [37.84%])

Percentage of vote: 37.84%

4. Either of the above, but only when glutened (6 votes [16.22%])

Percentage of vote: 16.22%

5. I sleep like a baby, all through the night. (4 votes [10.81%])

Percentage of vote: 10.81%

6. I slept like a baby, screaming frequently and waking those around me (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

10 replies to this topic

#1 GreySaber

GreySaber

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:18 AM

Hey, how many of you are night owls? I'm curious how many celiacs have sleep issues.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 02:32 AM

Collagenous colitis is very nocturnal. It loves to wake me around 2 or 3 a.m., I have to go around 5 or 6 times, have cramps and abdominal pain for awhile then it settles down around 5 or 6 a.m. (just in time for the kids to get up! <_< )

That is why so many of my posts are through the night.......

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#3 evie

evie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:07 AM

:blink: Does it ever get better? Just into this problem a few months but have missed a lot of good sleep!!

So lack energy bigtime. Looking forward to a GOOD night's sleep. Just found i also have "dumping syndrome", anyone else have that problem? Need to eat many small meals and no liquid with meals, just 1 hour after meal. am sure will get used to this too. :) evie

#4 ianm

ianm

Metal God

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:16 PM

Pre-gluten free I had a lot of sleep problems but that is rare now.
If all the world is indeed a stage and we are merely players then will someone give me the script because I have no f!@#$%^ clue as to what is going on!

What does not kill you makes you stronger.
Nobody cares about losers and quitters never win. If you fail with the cowards then what's the message you send?
Can't get it right, no matter what I do. Might as well be me and keep fu@$ing up for you. - Brian Thomas (Halloween, the greatest metal band ever!)

Ian Moore. Self diagnosed at 36 because the doctors were clueless.
Started low-carb diet early 2004, felt better but not totally gluten-free. Went 100% gluten-free early 2005 and life has never been better.

#5 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:29 PM

Well, I COULD sleep like a baby all night, if I wasn't at my best after 8:00 PM normally. Plus, I can't function (as in nervous breakdown) unless I get enough privacy and quiet time every day. Unfortunately, with a teenager (who loves to blast loud music and is a hyper kid, who never stops talking) and a 20-year-old (who isn't much better), and a husband who likes to work from home at least twice a week, the only time I get the peace I need is during the night. Plus, I tend to forget about time and space when doing research on the Internet (or playing games), or reading, and when I look at the clock, it could 'suddenly' be 4:00 AM! :o I don't necessarily mean to go to bed that 'late' (early), but it happens more often than I really like.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#6 Laura

Laura

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 11:33 PM

From very shortly after they brought me home from the hospital, I took a long time to fall asleep but once asleep slept through the night. As I've gotten older, I've figured out that my body clock just wants me up at night and asleep until mid-day, and that if I go to sleep very very late, I fall asleep relatively quickly (for me anyway) and am generally much happier. Doesn't seem at all connected to celiac, given that the basic pattern was set before I was on any solid foods at all and hasn't changed since I went gluten-free.

#7 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 04:56 AM

I slept like a baby, screaming frequently and waking those around me

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: SOOOO TRUE!!!

I just love when ppl say "yea I slept like a baby" and Im like, "who got up 10 times ot change your diaper and feed you"?

- Vincent -

#8 aikiducky

aikiducky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 02:17 PM

From very shortly after they brought me home from the hospital, I took a long time to fall asleep but once asleep slept through the night. As I've gotten older, I've figured out that my body clock just wants me up at night and asleep until mid-day, and that if I go to sleep very very late, I fall asleep relatively quickly (for me anyway) and am generally much happier. Doesn't seem at all connected to celiac, given that the basic pattern was set before I was on any solid foods at all and hasn't changed since I went gluten-free.

That describes me, exactly! I'm happy to be self-employed so I can set my own hours, I never make appointments before noon if I can help it. :D

Interestingly, whenever I get a really good stretch of time without glutenings, meaning I'm feeling my healthiest and best, I only need six-seven hours of sleep, I sleep like a log (not a baby!) and wake up without an alarm clock at an hour that surprises me!

Pauliina

#9 tiffjake

tiffjake

Life is good....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:07 PM

I have ALWAYS been a night owl. I worked at a hospital on the 7p-7a shift and LOVED it. I thrive at night. I don't know why. My husband jokes that we will be ready for kids because he will take days and I will take nights. I am up till nearly dawn, and then I sleep till 4 in the afternoon. I don't work right now, so it is ok. But I will be screwed if I have to get a job! I am taking internet classes so I am at my own pace/schedule. Works for me, for now. And I am going to nursing school, so perhaps I will be on the night shift again one day. I love nights!
EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes
DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005
Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.
THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

#10 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:50 PM

I sleep like a baby through the night and have not really had much trouble sleeping. Now, I will wake up easily to any little noise but can get back to sleep quick. I am however a night owl but I am a college student so what do you expect lol.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#11 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:46 PM

I had horrible insomnia up until I went gluten free. It was so bad I had to start medicating because I would turn into a zombie by the end of the week. Now I'm in bed by 11:30 on weeknights and waking me up is a feat, but I'm up by 7 on work days. This is from someone who lived on 2 hours a night for years, just from never being able to fall asleep. Though a friday a couple weeks ago I stayed up all night, but it was a party so it doesn't count :)
Elonwy
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: