This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-free And Not Gaining Weight

maya

maya Newbie

Hi. My daughter was diagnosed with celiac disease about three months ago. During the first month of gluten-free eating, she gained a full pound and ate like there was no tomorrow. The next month, she lost a half pound. This month she has only gained 5 ounces. Her moods have improved as have her bowels, but I know she should be gaining weight more rapidly. Anyone experience this as well? Any suggestions?

Thanks for you help,

Maya

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ryebaby0 Enthusiast

How old is your daughter? (I'm thinking she's not gaining much if she's 5 or 6, but maybe you have a little one here...) Think in terms of percentage. I agree with you, she ought to be gaining more weight than that. Our son kept _losing_ weight once gluten-free and he turned out to have quite a few other things going wrong with him. Waiting for him to gain turned out to be a mistake. I would definitely talk to your pediatrician and/or set up an appointment with a dietician or nutritionist -- I know it sounds unnecessary, but ours was such a big help, I would never do without her. Once my son was on the proper meds and completely gluten-free/allergen free (check EVERYTHING she's eating -- medications, etc.) he gained about 25 pounds over 5 months. (He was hospitalized for some of that time, too)

In the meantime -- pediasure, or carnation instant breakfast if she can tolerate milk products. Peanut butter. Olive oil and rice (that's all my son ate for about 3 weeks, for every single meal) Almonds. Soy pudding if it doesn't bother her. Put margarine on everything. See if your health insurance will pay for elemental formula if your doctor prescribes it (Modulen or Peptamen).

Let us know how she is. Get yourself answers that make sense!

maya Newbie

Thanks for your input. Kayla just turned 2 a couple weeks ago. She can't have dairy and doesn't really like peanut butter. Thank goodness she is a fan of avocados and olives! What are some things we should have her tested for? We already checked for cystic fibrosis and (thank goodness), she does not have this. I am now wondering whether she has other food intolerances that are keeping her from gaining weight.

It's nice to hear from someone who went through the same thing. Thanks.

Maya

flagbabyds Collaborator

Is she having olives in vinegar? if they are preserved then they may have gluten in them. If they are fresh olives(not from a jar) then they should be fine.

celiac3270 Collaborator
Hi. My daughter was diagnosed with celiac disease about three months ago. During the first month of gluten-free eating, she gained a full pound and ate like there was no tomorrow. The next month, she lost a half pound. This month she has only gained 5 ounces. Her moods have improved as have her bowels, but I know she should be gaining weight more rapidly. Anyone experience this as well? Any suggestions?

Hi...I've been on the diet for over four months, and want to share my weight experiences. Pre-diagnosis, I was five feet tall, thirteen years old, and 70 pounds. When I'd get sick with symptoms, I'd drop a pound or two. In the beginning I quickly gained...maybe 6 or 7 pounds. Since then I've stayed around 77 or 78. Mood improvements and formed bowels show improvment, so it's probably not some hidden gluten source. Not everyone gains weight at the start and a nutritionist I went to (who works with famous adult celiac doctor, Dr. Green) said that (this was when I was two months into the diet, already) I shouldn't expect to see a lot of weight gain in the beginning. A kid I know who's been on the diet for a year has gained around 15-20 pounds overall. I've gained about 8 pounds in four months...it should come over time.... :)

maya Newbie

Thanks for all the good advice. We have a doctor's appointment later this month and I am praying that some of the changes we are making help her grow. In the mean time, at least she is a MUCH happier little girl.

Take care,

Maya

NaomiR Newbie

Maya,

Just out of curiosity how much does your daughter weigh? I know we are not supposed to compare children but I am trying to establish a guideline for my youngest. I posted yesterday about our experience.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

maya Newbie

Kayla is 25 months old. The last time we weighed her, she was 21 pounds. She has been between 20 and 21 pounds for the past year so we are hoping that she very quickly starts gaining weight (we hope).

Maya

Archived