This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pain Meds?

ebrbetty

ebrbetty Rising Star

I'm going to my Dr this afternoon, been taking levsin for stomach pain, but it doesn't do much..do you take anything that helps?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jaten Enthusiast

What kind of stomach pain? Where is the pain located? My dr. prescribed NuLev for severe cramping that goes with Celiac (and IBS). It helps with a general mild stomach "yugh" feeling also.

More information is needed so that we can answer your question more precisely.

ebrbetty Rising Star

the pain is from the upper stomach all the way down, the whole area

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I use two different types of pain medication, depending on what kind of pain I have. Abdominal cramp pain, I take Tylenol with Codeine (up here in Canada, you can get it over the counter at the pharmacy). Now with me, since I have nothing but water diarrhea, constipation is not a problem for me regarding the codeine.

For my mentrual cramps (which are getting quite bad again), the doctor prescribed Anaprox for me. It helps a bit (takes the edge off anyway.....).

Karen

Lollie Enthusiast

I didn't think that Levsin helped me at all. I now take Flexiril, it's a muscle relaxer. It helps me alot. I think most of my problem is a tightening and spasms of the stomach and intestines. Anyway- it works for me!

Good Luck-

Lollie

Ursa Major Collaborator

I use a homeopathic remedy name 'Sepia', which I get in the health food store. When I have severe stomach pain, I dissolve six of the little pills under my tongue (you can't touch them, they'll be contaminated by the oil on your skin if you do, you pour them into the lid and pour them onto the spot under your tongue). It usually works within a couple of minutes. I sometimes have to repeat that after four or five hours, but usually one dose is enough.

Since Sepia is an anti-inflammatory, it won't work for other pain. I guess my stomach gets inflamed when I have unwittingly ingested something I am intolerant to, so it works for me. For other pain I have to take a painkiller.

ebrbetty Rising Star

thanks everyone

Ursula, I will look for it

asked my Dr today for the Nulev, he said its what I'm taking levsin..so he just up the does to 4 pills 4 times a day!

what a waste of time!

Ursula, I just googled it, this is what is says it's for, you take it for pain?

Sepia

(Cuttle fish ink)

Keynotes:

Heavy periods

Menopause

Hot flashes

PMS

Urinary

Fatigue

Insomnia

Moodiness

SEPI

$7.95

6X 500 Tablets12X 500 Tablets30X 500 Tablets30C 160 Pellets200C 160 Pellets

Menopause, PMS, dryness; moodiness, irritability, fatigue, insomnia, headaches, nausea, back and joint pain...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

That's what my homeopath prescribed for an inflamed stomach before I figured out the celiac disease and had a chronically inflamed stomach, with horrible stomach pain, and it works like a charm for me. It looks like it works for lots of stuff other than what I use it for! Still, if it works, it works.

jknnej Collaborator

I guess my question is, why do you have so much pain? Is it only when being glutened?

ebrbetty Rising Star

thanks Ursula..I'll give iy a shot, can hurt

I don't know why I have so much stomach pain, its everyday somedays its unbearable, my Dr today said its the IBS also bothering me, but I think theres more going on. I've had tons of tests, they find nothing serious.if I eat it hurts, if I don't it hurts

tonight while cooking rice the pain came on so bad I had to lay on the floor, 3 hours with it feeling like I would die, now its better but still bad..and the bloating and noises never stop EEERRRR..can't take much more of this!

jerseyangel Proficient

Betty--I'm sorry you're still in such pain :( I hope Ursula's remedy works for you. I wish I had more to offer :)

ebrbetty Rising Star

thanks patti

I hope you're ok ((hugs))

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Hi Betty,

I just want you to know that I can completely relate to the continued pain that you experience.....

I firmly believe that I do indeed have the celiac under control (although I continue to have malabsorption issues and flat villi) and it is the collagenous colitis that continues to cause me the problems and more specifically, the continued pain that I live with on a day to day basis.

For me, it is at it's worst at night. It wakes me around 2 or 3 a.m. having to go urgently, and it is explosive for about 1 or 2 hours (maybe go 5 or 6 times....) but the cramping and abdominal pain is the worst. I have to sit and rock myself on the couch (or rock myself sitting here at the computer, at least being on here takes my mind off of it.....), until it finally settles down......

The only thing that I find helps beyond the painkillers is the "trance like" state that I have learned to put myself in to control the pain. I sit on my couch and rock myself, eyes closed, breathe in through the nose, out through the mouth, and slowly hum a song (no song in particular, just whatever comes into my brain)... I can put myself into a place where I can "compartmentalize" the pain. It's really hard to explain, but it almost feels like a "high".

Well, enough rambling..... I just wanted you to know that you are not alone!

Hugs.

Karen

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast
I'm going to my Dr this afternoon, been taking levsin for stomach pain, but it doesn't do much..do you take anything that helps?

Open Original Shared Link This is side effectes and etc. I can't see what is in it like binders. She said she was making rice when it happened. So of us Celiac's have a problem with other things like rice, corn, soy and etc...

Open Original Shared Link here we go -- it has sugar, corn and dairy in it. I don't know if you have a problem with them. And who knows who they buy the dyes for the pills. I have found many times the dyes are C/C with gluten.

Does it feel like an ulcer? I take ZANTAC 150 a few times a day only when I need it.

Does it feel like your colon is in s-p-a-z-a-m? I swear by DICYCLOMINE. When I would feel it (one of one of my episodes were I would have a seizure) coming on I'd pop one of these and in 15-30 minutes I could function again. DICYCLOMINE HCI 10MG CAPSULES. I call them my little blue wonder pills. These have helped me for the first 5 years of celiac disease. Since my thyroid flair-up (last year-or-so) I seem to get spots (like DH) when I take them, they go away the next day... But this drug has helped me with celiac disease. It works for stomach ulcers, spatic colon, and bladder incontense too.

jaten Enthusiast
the pain is from the upper stomach all the way down, the whole area

Oh my gosh! YES! I know that feeling. :( I was in your shoes for weeks, but am getting it under control. (Somewhere is my post about this, it hurt side to side and top to bottom. Horribly!) Consider this, it's unlikely that one problem is causing pain in this entire area. What other foods are you intolerant to? For me, I had discovered before that I was intolerant of dairy and soy (in addition to gluten) but I really hadn't been avoiding dairy....cause it's so good. When I came out of my pain stupor long enough, I gave up the dairy and soy again. Some better within 24 hrs. Continued severe pain in upper right abdomen and cramping. GI says that I have IBS as well as Celiac, AND has been concerned about my gallbladder since diagnosing me in Dec. Sent for gb functioning test and gastric-emptying test. Gastric-emptying ok, but gb functions at 0%.

Back to your problem: dairy, soy, IBS, and a defunct GB may not be your issues. But I put my money on your having more than one issue causing the severe abdominal pain everywhere. It's not easy, you have to find what they are. Then you can treat what's happening vs treating the symptoms.

{{{HUG}}} I have tremendous sympathy for your pain.

NuLev works for me. One of the other "same as NuLev" drugs had been prescribed to me first....it did nothing. Not saying it's a magic bullet, but for me it works better than at least one of the other "same as" drugs.

Good luck! I hope you feel better very soon!

elye Community Regular
thanks everyone

Ursula, I will look for it

asked my Dr today for the Nulev, he said its what I'm taking levsin..so he just up the does to 4 pills 4 times a day!

what a waste of time!

Ursula, I just googled it, this is what is says it's for, you take it for pain?

Sepia

(Cuttle fish ink)

Keynotes:

Heavy periods

Menopause

Hot flashes

PMS

Urinary

Fatigue

Insomnia

Moodiness

SEPI

$7.95

6X 500 Tablets12X 500 Tablets30X 500 Tablets30C 160 Pellets200C 160 Pellets

Menopause, PMS, dryness; moodiness, irritability, fatigue, insomnia, headaches, nausea, back and joint pain...

Just an aside about sepia--I have been taking it for years as a very effective remedy for premensrual moodiness...ya know, when you're exploding at everyone and dissolving into tears over nothing. It really works for me, if I take a dose just when I feel the yuckiness beginning.

ebrbetty Rising Star

thank you guys for the imput

karen, I rock right along with you, hubby will sometimes find me dsitting on the side of our bed rocking and crying..he knows then i'm in trouble. sorry to hear you too are having god awful pain. one of my gastros mentioned colitis to me, but that was it, is there anything i should be doing to help it? [a med just for colitis]

hugs to you

jaten, yes, i also have ibs, gerd, the stomach empting test came back as slow and gastritis..i avoid dairy too

thanks for the help, I think I would be doing so much better if it was "just" Celiac I was dealing with, all the other stuff makes it 100 times harder

elye, i'm thinking of ordering the sepia, i find it odd that nothing i read on it mentions helping with stomach pain....but Ursula has good luck with it so what the hell i'll give it a shot. lol

sorry about any typos and sh, my kittys on my lap, i only have one hand to type :rolleyes:

jaten Enthusiast
the stomach empting test came back as slow and gastritis

Ebrbetty, did your dr. give you anything to help with the slow emptying? Mine came back normal, but dr. said he had expected it to be slow. In fact had hoped it would have been that vs gallbladder because then he could give me med to aid in proper emptying. I don't know what it would have been since it was a non-issue for me; it might be worth pursuing.

You are so right it would be easier to deal with "just Celiac" :blink:

ebrbetty Rising Star

yes, he gave me reglan 10mgs, but to be honest i have not taken it enough

Ursa Major Collaborator

Elye, that is good to know about sepia as well! I should get my youngest daughter to take it next time she is having cramps and PMS and driving me nuts. Maybe it will help her (and me along with it :rolleyes: ).

Archived