- - - - -

House Tv Show Will Feature Celiac Disease

• Please log in to reply

248 replies to this topic

#241 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2006 - 01:09 PM

I am absolutely amazed at the negative response over at delphi on the celiac episode! They are downright outraged and angry! I believe our thoughts on the show are much more appreciative and tolerant to the "liberties taken" in writing the celiac story......

Karen

Someone should explain to the people on Delphi that House is a TV fiction show and NOT a documentary :o I think we are really fortunate that 1. they did the show and 2. they had some of their facts straight even if it was very dramatic. I think they did a very good job considering . :D

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#242 floridanative

floridanative

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:45 AM

I missed the show as I was out of the country but I'd like to add that my Mother's only sister is a dx'd paranoid schrizophrenic and now I believe that she too has Celiac like Mother and I do. Just in her case, the gluten is attacking her brain, not her intestines (or both). She is on disability and we don't have contact with her so she'll never be tested. She 'acts' normal on Lithium, which she's been on for over 30 years now. She was *crazy* from early childhood and used to threaten my Mother's life regularly, hence their lack of a relationship now. I've seen her three times in my life and it's a really sad thing. She can talk, take care of herself but it's like you look through her due to the drugs. Without them she tried committing suicide all the time.
Dx'd with anemia - March 2005
Positive blood tests - Sept. 2005
Positive biopsy - Jan. 2006
Gluten free since 1-23-06

#243 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:07 PM

I haven't been on that Delphi board and it's a darn good thing because I'd probably just get myself kicked off.
Those people have very, very serious issues and clearly too much time on their hands to complain about that episode.
I just can't believe anyone would get that upset over an episode of television fiction. I am a person that gets angry really, really easily and I can honestly say I've never been ticked off from a TV show (unless it was a cliffhanger! LOL).
People on Delphi that are complaining about House; get a life. Fast.
Instead of griping, try that little button on your remote called "off."
And please, oh please STOP trying to get a fiction television show to conform to unrealistic expectations.
Perhaps I don't like how Will & Grace portrays homosexuality or maybe I think Grey's Anatomy doctors are ridiculous. (that's just an example I really don't have any issue with Will & Grace I love the show). But my point is, it's tv. That's all. Don't try to turn it into your own personal Celiac awareness show. Get your booty off the couch and turn the tv off if you don't like what you see. My God, Fox did us a huge favor by even mentioning the disease and here people are "Oh it's not accurate how dare they." Hmmmm when television becomes accurate give me a call, will you?

#244 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:16 PM

I just don't think we should complain too much about the complainers, because than we become complainers ourselves. lol. But I agree, people should get over it. I think they are, because I haven't heard anything about it in a while, so we can all move on now lol. :P
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#245 Guest_Viola_*

Guest_Viola_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2006 - 04:16 PM

I haven't been on that Delphi board and it's a darn good thing because I'd probably just get myself kicked off.
Those people have very, very serious issues and clearly too much time on their hands to complain about that episode.
I just can't believe anyone would get that upset over an episode of television fiction. I am a person that gets angry really, really easily and I can honestly say I've never been ticked off from a TV show (unless it was a cliffhanger! LOL).
People on Delphi that are complaining about House; get a life. Fast.
Instead of griping, try that little button on your remote called "off."
And please, oh please STOP trying to get a fiction television show to conform to unrealistic expectations.
Perhaps I don't like how Will & Grace portrays homosexuality or maybe I think Grey's Anatomy doctors are ridiculous. (that's just an example I really don't have any issue with Will & Grace I love the show). But my point is, it's tv. That's all. Don't try to turn it into your own personal Celiac awareness show. Get your booty off the couch and turn the tv off if you don't like what you see. My God, Fox did us a huge favor by even mentioning the disease and here people are "Oh it's not accurate how dare they." Hmmmm when television becomes accurate give me a call, will you?

Well said :D

#246 jknnej

jknnej

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 05:04 PM

You're right; I should know better than to complain about the complainers. I think it's the end of the year and as a teacher of high school and finals next week all I hear every day is kids complaining about too much work, too many rules, etc. My patience is worn thin with complainers right now so when I see it I freak out. I just wish people could learn other ways to cope than to blame others for their own faults.

#247 LKelly8

LKelly8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:13 PM

She 'acts' normal on Lithium, which she's been on for over 30 years now. She was *crazy* from early childhood and used to threaten my Mother's life regularly, hence their lack of a relationship now. I've seen her three times in my life and it's a really sad thing. She can talk, take care of herself but it's like you look through her due to the drugs. Without them she tried committing suicide all the time.

Is lithium all she's taking?? Lithium is for bipolar disorder, not PS.

#248 Mango04

Mango04

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 08:01 AM

You're right; I should know better than to complain about the complainers. I think it's the end of the year and as a teacher of high school and finals next week all I hear every day is kids complaining about too much work, too many rules, etc. My patience is worn thin with complainers right now so when I see it I freak out. I just wish people could learn other ways to cope than to blame others for their own faults.

I don't know how you do it. My brother is in high school and some of those kids walk around with insane entitlement complexes. Good luck with the end of the year.
"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

#249 Katie O'Rourke

Katie O'Rourke

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:14 AM

Hi, I'm in the UK, so obviously, thats not when it will be on over here. Can I just ask is that season 3 that the coeliac episode is in? Thanks, I love watchign House too :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: