This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg - The Envelopes At The Atm!

DingoGirl

DingoGirl Enthusiast

A surprise discovery, every couple of weeks as I deposit checks into the ATM, I just lick that envelope without thinking. :blink: I am so careful at work and home, use a sponge every time, and have now realized that I am glutening myself with that!! So....I took the bottle of DOG WATER and swished my mouth right then and spit....I think some of it hit the ATM :ph34r:

The proof will be in the poop tomorrow, I guess, but I am glad to have identified a fairly regular source! Anyone else do this?

Susan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flagbabyds Collaborator

I've never done it, but that is probably a big mistake of other people. Just make sure to bring a sponge w/ you to the bank from now on, or just leave one in the car.

jerseyangel Proficient
:lol::lol: Next time, use the dog water on your finger to seal the envelope! So far, I've stopped myself just in the nick of time. Hope you don't get sick ;)
Becky6 Enthusiast

I almost did that myself and stopped right before my tounge touched! Hope you don't get sick!

Lollie Enthusiast

Well, I was paying bills today....worrying far more about the finances then the mechanical method of actually paying the bills. I licked 2 envelopes before I relized what I was ding! I'm hoping that they won't make me sick! I'm already drinking water just in case!!!!

So your not at all alone!!!!!

Lollie

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Well, I was paying bills today....worrying far more about the finances then the mechanical method of actually paying the bills. I licked 2 envelopes before I relized what I was ding! I'm hoping that they won't make me sick! I'm already drinking water just in case!!!!

So your not at all alone!!!!!

Lollie

Aaaaaaagh!! Sorry it happened to you too, Lollie...I guess we can file this under "reasons why we can't figure out we've been glutened" - - - :huh: because I haven't even THOUGHT of it all this time that I've been DOING IT!!!

nettiebeads Apprentice

I thought that the idea of the glue on the envelopes being bad for us was an outdated rumor. So it's really true? we shouldn't lick envelopes?

Annette

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator
I thought that the idea of the glue on the envelopes being bad for us was an outdated rumor. So it's really true? we shouldn't lick envelopes?

Annette

They may or may not have gluten, you never know. I only buy the self-sticking ones, but unfortunately, because they cost more, envelopes from any kind of business are still the kind you have to lick. Maybe we should let banks, book clubs and all the other ones with those envelopes know that it would help us, if they use self-sticking ones.

lovegrov Collaborator

Odds are very, very high that the envelope glue had no wheat. No U.S. manufacturer uses wheat.

richard

Ursa Major Collaborator

Richard, do you know what they DO use? If it has corn starch, for instance, it would still make me sick.

elonwy Enthusiast

I don't lick envelopes because I got a paper cut on my tongue once and that cured me. I carry a glue stick in my purse, and if I don't have that I put spit on my finger and use that, and change fingers if I have to use more.

Elonwy

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Odds are very, very high that the envelope glue had no wheat. No U.S. manufacturer uses wheat.

richard

Wow! I hadn't heard this so that's good news....

Guest nini

sure no US manufacturer uses wheat BUT many companies buy in bulk from the least expensive company which very well can be from another country... the problem is that you can never tell... our local support group recently got an e-mail reminder that this is still a very real concern. It is not a myth and YES I have gotten glutened from licking envelopes. So now for ATM envelopes I keep one of those sponge bottles in my car. It is filled with water and has a sponge tip.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

The drive-thru ATM and ATM at the bank I use have self sticking envelopes. It's the Royal Bank of Canada. If our ATMs can find and use them, I don't know why American ones can't. Don't know the manufacturer or supplier, though.

psawyer Proficient
The drive-thru ATM and ATM at the bank I use have self sticking envelopes. It's the Royal Bank of Canada. If our ATMs can find and use them, I don't know why American ones can't. Don't know the manufacturer or supplier, though.

At TD Canada Trust where I bank, they also use the self-sealing envelopes.

ehrin Explorer

I am in the Print industry and let me say you wouldn't lick an envelope if you knew the process at most printing vendors. It is NOT sanitary!!! For the most part envelopes are stored in an open, dirty and dusty environment and then, unless the envelopes are blank, they run through a machine press to be printed. Envelopes run through a press with the flap OPEN so they are touching machine parts and can come in contact with inks. Trust me, you don't want to lick an envelope...period. I've found that you don't even have to seal the ATM envelopes. I just tuck the flap inside and deposit. I have yet to have a problem!

kabowman Explorer

I carry a small roll of tape with me for just that reason - I used to lick a finger, lick another finger, etc. until it sealed then run home and wash my hands. Either way, I now use tape.

nettiebeads Apprentice
I am in the Print industry and let me say you wouldn't lick an envelope if you knew the process at most printing vendors. It is NOT sanitary!!! For the most part envelopes are stored in an open, dirty and dusty environment and then, unless the envelopes are blank, they run through a machine press to be printed. Envelopes run through a press with the flap OPEN so they are touching machine parts and can come in contact with inks. Trust me, you don't want to lick an envelope...period. I've found that you don't even have to seal the ATM envelopes. I just tuck the flap inside and deposit. I have yet to have a problem!

You are so right about the sanitary conditions (NOT) of paper makers and printer shops. My second ex used to work in a calendar/printer plant in upstate New York. I've seen it first hand also how much dust and dirt and grime was everywhere. I'll remember that next time I have to mail off something.

Annette

Archived