This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

In-n-out Burger

slpinsd

slpinsd Contributor

I've eaten at In-N-Out (Protein Style) a few times, and felt not very good after eating it a few times. I was wondering if anyone knows the risk of cc there? For instance, do they cook the meat on the same grill that they warm the buns on?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elonwy Enthusiast

Don't get the sauce, as they dip a knife on it to spread on the buns. They all have a seperate grill area set aside, except for maybe the little tiny drive in places, and you can ask them to cook it away from the buns and they will do that. It may take a little longer, but its worth it.

I eat there about once a month or every two, and never get sick.

Elonwy

flagbabyds Collaborator

if you ask them, they can make it on a seperate grill, i never get the sauce, but other than that it should be fnie.

• 1 year later...
MrMark Apprentice

Today I ate at In-N-Out and had 'protein style' double burger (w/ cheese), fries and med diet coke. I know the effects of when I've been CC'd or directly glutened, but I got pretty sick and it was very different than that of being glutened. Is there anything obvious in these foods that could have made me sick?

I suspect I may also be fairly sensitive to casein (cheese?) , as a DQ blizzard made me sick in a similar way, but with a headache from heck. Yes, I probably got sick because I shouldn't be eating this stuff.... :lol:

Oh yeah, 'Protein style' is the burger wrapped in lettuce instead of poisoned with a bun.

b91hd7fjk Apprentice
Today I ate at In-N-Out and had 'protein style' double burger (w/ cheese), fries and med diet coke. I know the effects of when I've been CC'd or directly glutened, but I got pretty sick and it was very different than that of being glutened. Is there anything obvious in these foods that could have made me sick?

I suspect I may also be fairly sensitive to casein (cheese?) , as a DQ blizzard made me sick in a similar way, but with a headache from heck. Yes, I probably got sick because I shouldn't be eating this stuff.... :lol:

Oh yeah, 'Protein style' is the burger wrapped in lettuce instead of poisoned with a bun.

I have found carmel coloring in cokes and some liquors bothers my stomach...kind of strange but how often do u drink drinks like coke? I have always been afraid of it since a violent reaction (this could also just be my strange system)....

I envy you for knowing the way "cc" feels verses actual consumption of gluten...may I ask how can you know this? I have recently thought about intentionally consuming gluten again to just know how it would feel...i know it sounds crazy but I too would like to learn my body that well. To me "cc" or the real thing...my stomach is grumbly gassy then a few days later hours in the bathroom....ii think....I am still trying to weed out a lot right now.

In-N-Out has been ok for me in the past but I have always worried about cc...and I only get it with ketsup and cheese to cut down on any possibilities....:) Good luck

MrMark Apprentice
...for knowing the way "cc" feels verses actual consumption of gluten...

My bad, whether I get glutened from CC or directly from eating it my reaction has the same symptoms.

I have been drinking a lot of diet coke lately. I don't understand why it would suddenly make me sick, or is this common?

VioletBlue Contributor

I wonder how they treat their fries? Some places drench them in a solution to preserve them and keep them from going brown between the time they're cut and the time they're cooked. Those solutions can contain high levels of sulfites which bother some people.

Violet

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kylesmom1112 Newbie

I'm a gluten-free/CF'er and here's what I get at in-n-out:

burger, protein style, animal style, no sauce no seasoning and fries

Phyllis28 Apprentice
I wonder how they treat their fries? Some places drench them in a solution to preserve them and keep them from going brown between the time they're cut and the time they're cooked. Those solutions can contain high levels of sulfites which bother some people.

Violet

I have watched In-n-Out cook there fries. Whole potatoes go into the potato slicer and straight into the dedicated deep frier. These are my favorite french fries.

MrMark Apprentice
...Whole potatoes go into the potato slicer and straight into the dedicated deep frier....

Its the darn potatoes that are making me sick. I won't go into the details, but I have found them to be a point source of my being sick. Unfortunately, I love potatoes, but must sadly bid them adieu for now. I don't know if it's a potato intolerance or the possibility that the potatoes are feeding candida. When candida are given a large food source, how long does it take for them to populate to levels that cause a person to be sick?

Archived