6 replies to this topic

#1 Cherbear

Cherbear

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 10:40 AM

I recently discovered my local Safeway store has a Natural Market and does carry gluten free food. Mine had pasta, cereal, frozen waffles, mixes and several other items. I was thrilled when I got my weekly grocery ads and Gorilla Munch and Panda Puff cereal by Envirokids was in it. Not every Safeway has a Natural Market so call your store and check. My local Smith's store which is affiliated with Kroger and King Supers, also carries gluten free foods, they even have already made rice bread in their freezer section of health foods along with gluten-free waffles. It might sound silly, but I was so excited to find out I don't have to go to the health food store for everything! I live in Wyoming and my shopping is limited for specialty items. I have to go to Colorado to stock up on flour and what not as it's cheaper. Being new to celiac disease (diagnosed march 04), I'm so excited to have shopping options. Those of you that have had this a while probably already knew this, but I couldn't contain my excitement and just had to share!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 01:31 PM

Safeway does have a gluten-free list, I am not exactly sure where my dad found it, but it lists all the commercial products they carry that are gluten-free
Molly

#3 dkmb

dkmb

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 07:07 AM

Kroger which is the parent company of Ralph's in CA has a toll free number 866-632-6900 where you can talk to a registered dietitian about gluten free products or any question you have about their products. I haven't tried it yet. It is listed on their website, Kroger.com under their health page.
DK

#4 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 04 June 2004 - 07:39 AM

Here in Kansas, Kroger is known as Dillons. I'll have to check it out. Also, Kroger has a program that you can sign up on, and it will give you discounts on some of what you buy there. gluten-free goodies are expensive, so I hope they have foods I can have at the discounted prices!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#5 Donna F

Donna F

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 05:03 PM

We have Shaw's Supermarkets and some of the Shaw's brand foods are gluten-free: lunchmeats (pre-packed), yogurt, even acetaminophen to name a few. I saw Safeway has many of it's own too. The CSA Product Listing has all of the HyVee, Safeway, and Shaw's gluten-free foods in it, along with a few others.

donna

#6 Cherbear

Cherbear

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 01:30 PM

Thanks for mentioning a list from stores, I hadn't thought of them having a gluten free list of products. I emailed Safeway last week and got a reply today. I printed out 5 pages of items that are gluten free. They are for Select, Safeway, Enlighten, Healthy Advantage, Manor House, and Lucerne brands. There are so many mainstream options I hadn't considered before.

#7 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 02:40 PM

I went to my local Dillon's (aka Kroger) to check out their natural foods section today. I was extremely disappointed! There was nothing there that was gluten-free. No bread, no cookies, no crackers, no mixes. No one from management was available for me to ask them about it. I spent 1 1/2 hours walking up and down aisles, just in case it was mixed in with the rest of the food. I will just have to keep shopping around!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: