This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac

Terrilyn

Terrilyn Rookie

I have just been diagnosed with Celiac and I am looking for some input from other people who have had this disease for a while. I am still struggling with diets and trying to find out what to eat/not eat. What I should avoid in the home as far as cross contamination i.e. toasters, grills, pots,pans. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest schmenge
I have just been diagnosed with Celiac and I am looking for some input from other people who have had this disease for a while. I am still struggling with diets and trying to find out what to eat/not eat. What I should avoid in the home as far as cross contamination i.e. toasters, grills, pots,pans. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You may want to take a look here for the lists on which ingredients are, are not, gluten-free. You'll get used to reading labels. You'll find gluten in a lot of places you never expected to find it!

Many people have seperate toasters, as well as containers for things like butter, peanut butter etc. It really only takes a crumb, so while it might seem extreme to have your own jar of peanut butter (for example), when you do that you avoid that single crumb. From a pots and pans standpoint you only be concerned about anything that can absorb (assuming you clean thoroughly). So stainless steel is pretty safe, but something made of wood or plastic *could* absorb the gluten and then cross contaminate.

There is a new book out, Gluten-free for Dummies. Over the past several months I have learned pretty much everything that was in the book, but as you are starting on the journey you may find it very helpful.

Terrilyn Rookie
You may want to take a look here for the lists on which ingredients are, are not, gluten-free. You'll get used to reading labels. You'll find gluten in a lot of places you never expected to find it!

Many people have seperate toasters, as well as containers for things like butter, peanut butter etc. It really only takes a crumb, so while it might seem extreme to have your own jar of peanut butter (for example), when you do that you avoid that single crumb. From a pots and pans standpoint you only be concerned about anything that can absorb (assuming you clean thoroughly). So stainless steel is pretty safe, but something made of wood or plastic *could* absorb the gluten and then cross contaminate.

There is a new book out, Gluten-free for Dummies. Over the past several months I have learned pretty much everything that was in the book, but as you are starting on the journey you may find it very helpful.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info, I will certainly get that book I surely need it. How about outside grills, any problems with them.

Terrilyn

JenAnderson Rookie

Hi and welcome! Personally I haven't had any problem with outside grills, but I make sure that anything that goes on it is "all" meat or veggies. As far as the household appliances, I have a toaster oven instead of a toaster to keep the crumbs away from my bread. I use a different cutting board than the one my husband uses, and I have a rule with butter, peanut butter, etc: Get what you're going to use the first time, because you're not double dipping. If so, they have to use a clean knife. Hope that helps. I need to get the Gluten Free for Dummies book, too. Just haven't done it yet.

Terrilyn Rookie
Hi and welcome! Personally I haven't had any problem with outside grills, but I make sure that anything that goes on it is "all" meat or veggies. As far as the household appliances, I have a toaster oven instead of a toaster to keep the crumbs away from my bread. I use a different cutting board than the one my husband uses, and I have a rule with butter, peanut butter, etc: Get what you're going to use the first time, because you're not double dipping. If so, they have to use a clean knife. Hope that helps. I need to get the Gluten Free for Dummies book, too. Just haven't done it yet.

Thanks, it means a great deal to me to hear from others like myself. It has been very hard adjusting. I still feel as if I running in circles. So matter how I try and think I am not eating anything with gluten, boom I am sick. Then I think back and say okay, I did this and there is the culprit.

Thanks again.

mamaw Community Regular

Welcome

You may want to try the toaster bags instead of having to go out and buy another toaster..... You can find them in alot of stores such as Bed Bath & Beyond or any houseware store.

Some mainstream products I use as : Progresso mushroom soup (portabella ) chicken rice & their chicken vegetable are gluten-free.

Contadina tomato , sauces,paste, pizza sauce are gluten-free. Original Klondike bars are gluten-free.

Heinz UK has a tomato soup that sells in many grocery stores in the speciality food section. Amy's also has a very good tomato bosque soupgf, plus others. Amy's makes a gluten-free mac& cheese and several other frozen entrees that are gluten-free.

Where are you located?

All Kraft items are clearly marked if they contain gluten.

I think when I first got started the first dumb thing I did was lick an envelope--- got sick --learned my lesson rather quickly....

Communion wafers contain gluten, my second mishap.

feel free to pm me if you like .

mamaw

Terrilyn Rookie
Welcome

You may want to try the toaster bags instead of having to go out and buy another toaster..... You can find them in alot of stores such as Bed Bath & Beyond or any houseware store.

Some mainstream products I use as : Progresso mushroom soup (portabella ) chicken rice & their chicken vegetable are gluten-free.

Contadina tomato , sauces,paste, pizza sauce are gluten-free. Original Klondike bars are gluten-free.

Heinz UK has a tomato soup that sells in many grocery stores in the speciality food section. Amy's also has a very good tomato bosque soupgf, plus others. Amy's makes a gluten-free mac& cheese and several other frozen entrees that are gluten-free.

Where are you located?

All Kraft items are clearly marked if they contain gluten.

I think when I first got started the first dumb thing I did was lick an envelope--- got sick --learned my lesson rather quickly....

Communion wafers contain gluten, my second mishap.

feel free to pm me if you like .

mamaw

The toaster bag is very interesting. I will definely check that out as I work and am always super careful when I use the toaster. I am finding the bread and bagels okay but, you do have to toast them. I live in New Jersey.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JodiC Apprentice

Thanks

I am fairly new also. I was diagnosed 1 year ago (Feb). The Celiac.com ingredient lists are great. They have helped me with shopping and chosing the right products. Even after a year I still find myself doing things without thinking so you have to be on your toes constantly. I always knew there was something going on with my health and was thrilled to finally have answers. I had no idea what the ramifications of this disease would be. My advice is to do as much research as possible and learn all you can. I founf that I know more than my doctor when it came to this disease and even requested the test to find out if I had it. Always listen to your gut and you will never go wrong. I believe more light needs to be shed on this disease so that unnecessary suffering ends. I had symptoms for 15 years before diagnosis. At 30 I have had a complete hystorectomy, terrible pregnancies, and more sick days than I can count. I have learned alot from these sites and thank all of you who have offered advice to others.

kevsmom Contributor

Welcome Terrilyn! You might want to go back and read some of the old posts here. You will find a lot of useful information.

Don't forget to check your personal hygiene products (soaps, lotions, shampoo's etc.) for gluten. If you're not sure after reading the ingredients, you can contact the manufacture's website for more information.

Also, if you have a pet, don't forget to wash your hands after feeding it or giving out a treat.

A lot of the mainstream foods will have websites that will list their gluten free foods.

Keep asking questions and reading. I have learned so much from the people on this board.

Good luck to you.

Cindy

kabowman Explorer

One more thing to think of - teflon pans need to be exclusively gluten free. We only share the stainless steel pot and cookie sheets - everything else is divided either gluten-free or not. My mixing bowls we share too...

I keep my own shelf in the 'fridge for all my foods and my condiments. Also, we just moved and the new house has two pantries so I have one for me, one for the rest of the family.

Remember tikinida (can't spell it - but I am sure this is wrong) is the BEST rice pasta around and it is available in my regular grocery store - Marsh - but is not available in Kroger and don't know if that is chain/country wide.

RoseNNJ Apprentice

Welcome Terrilyn! Another Neighbor from Jersey :)

beachlaurel Newbie

Hi Terrilynn and all. I'm also a "newbie". Very interested in all you have to say, especially about the toaster bags, "double-dipping" tips, and checking body products. I just finished my first week of gluten-free diet the best I knew how. Been reading anything I could get my hands on. Waiting to feel better. How long will it take? No bloating or gas at the moment. My main complaints are bone & joint pain and fatigue.

kevsmom Contributor

Hi TerriLynn and Laurel!

I also wanted to mention medications. Laurel, when you mentioned how tired you were, I wondered if you were taking vitamins.

When I first started my gluten free lifestyle, I didn't know to look for gluten in medications and supplements. I was getting ready to buy more vitamins, and I happened to read the label on my bottle. THE LAST INGREDIENT LISTED WAS GLUTEN! :huh:

Presciption medication can also contain gluten. You can ask the pharmacist, but most of the time they don't know. I feel more comfortable writing the manufacturer to ask them.

Good luck -

Cindy

beachlaurel Newbie

Thanks, Cindy. I've been checking the websites of the vitamins & calcium I take for nutritional info. How careful do you really have to be about shampoos or soap? I noticed the body powder I've been using for years contains wheat powder, which I'm sure I've inhaled particles of. Yikes!!

jerseyangel Proficient
Thanks, Cindy. I've been checking the websites of the vitamins & calcium I take for nutritional info. How careful do you really have to be about shampoos or soap? I noticed the body powder I've been using for years contains wheat powder, which I'm sure I've inhaled particles of. Yikes!!

Hi and welcome! The reason you need to be concerned with shampoos, soap, lotions, body powder, ect. is because it is so easy for those things to find their way into your mouth. It only takes a microscopic particle of gluten to cause a reaction. Early on, I glutened myself with a hair gel that contained wheat--I bit a fingernail shortly after using it and that was enough to make me sick. Some water and shampoo always runs down my face in the shower, also. I don't want to have to worry about it, so I make sure all of my personal care products are gluten-free. :)

Terrilyn Rookie
Hi Terrilynn and all. I'm also a "newbie". Very interested in all you have to say, especially about the toaster bags, "double-dipping" tips, and checking body products. I just finished my first week of gluten-free diet the best I knew how. Been reading anything I could get my hands on. Waiting to feel better. How long will it take? No bloating or gas at the moment. My main complaints are bone & joint pain and fatigue.

Hi Laurel

Welcome from another newbie. I found out from one of my new friends on the website about the toast it toaster bags. I went online and found a place called kitchengadgets that sold them. The come 2 to a package $4.99 and can be reused up to 10 times. I will use them for work and when I go to relatives and stay over. I have just went out and bought myself a toaster and a small teflon fry pan. I am trying to really keep my things separate from my sister and bro-in-laws. I am right now working on 2 days of feeling good, want it to last. Most of my tips have come fromt his site so be sure to keep in touch.

Good Luck

Hi TerriLynn and Laurel!

I also wanted to mention medications. Laurel, when you mentioned how tired you were, I wondered if you were taking vitamins.

When I first started my gluten free lifestyle, I didn't know to look for gluten in medications and supplements. I was getting ready to buy more vitamins, and I happened to read the label on my bottle. THE LAST INGREDIENT LISTED WAS GLUTEN! :huh:

Presciption medication can also contain gluten. You can ask the pharmacist, but most of the time they don't know. I feel more comfortable writing the manufacturer to ask them.

Good luck -

Cindy

Thanks Cindy, when I learned I had this disease and did some reading I found out about medications, whcih I take a few prescribed and OTC. I spent a lot of time on the computer e-mailing and calling. Boy I didn't realize when first diagnosed that this disease was going to be so involved. I certainly had a rude awakening. But, I am settling in only have a smal area of my brain that still keeps telling me I am going to wake in the morning and just like "Dallas" it was only a dream. Right.

Thanks again for all your help and advise

Terrilyn

kevsmom Contributor
I've been checking the websites of the vitamins & calcium I take for nutritional info.

There are some vitamins that you can purchase in stores that are gluten free. I have found Nature Made brand at Rite-Aid which states right on the bottle that it does not contain gluten.

Cindy

TCA Contributor

Welcome to all the Newbies! This was helpful to me when I found it. It doesn't include known gluten-free companies, just mainstream stuff.

These companies do not hide gluten and always list Wheat, Oats, Rye, or Barley if they use them:

Aunt Nelly's

Balance Oasis (Balance Bars)

Baskin Robbins

Ben & Jerry

Betty Crocker

Blue Bunny

Breyers

Campbell’s

Cascadian Farms

Celestial Seasonings

ConAgra

Country Crock

Edy's

General Mills

Good Humor

Green Giant

Haagen Daz

Hellman's

Hershey

Hillshire Farms

Hormel

Hungry Jack

Jiffy

Klodike

Knorr

Kozy Shack

Kraft

Libby's

Lipton

Martha White

McCormick

Marzetti

Master Foods

Muir Glen

Nabisco

Nestle

Old El Paso

Ortega

Pillsbury

Popsicle

Progresso

Russell Stover

Sara Lee and their subsidiaries (Kahn's, Ball Park, Jimmy Dean, etc...)

Seneca Foods

Smucker

Stokely's

Sunny Delight

T marzetti

Tone’s

Tyson

Unilever

Wishbone

Yoplait

Zaterain's

debmidge Rising Star

Welcome to our group. Best site for gluten-free info and gluten-free chat. Where in Jersey are you? Do you belong to a support group?

dionnek Enthusiast
Hi and welcome! The reason you need to be concerned with shampoos, soap, lotions, body powder, ect. is because it is so easy for those things to find their way into your mouth. It only takes a microscopic particle of gluten to cause a reaction. Early on, I glutened myself with a hair gel that contained wheat--I bit a fingernail shortly after using it and that was enough to make me sick. Some water and shampoo always runs down my face in the shower, also. I don't want to have to worry about it, so I make sure all of my personal care products are gluten-free. :)

So is it just accidental ingestion that you need to worry about, or can these products (hair gels/lotions) be absorbed through the skin? I am also new to this (just confirmed diagnosis today) so am getting overwhelmed reading all this (separate dishes/toasters/bowls, etc.!)!

Terrilyn Rookie
So is it just accidental ingestion that you need to worry about, or can these products (hair gels/lotions) be absorbed through the skin? I am also new to this (just confirmed diagnosis today) so am getting overwhelmed reading all this (separate dishes/toasters/bowls, etc.!)!

:) Welcome Dionnek. This is just about the best site you can find for information. Everybody is really really helpful. I myself have just been dx'd (March 2006) so I know that feeling of being overwhelmed. I still find myself at times mind boggled by what I read and what I have to do to stay well. :lol: Keep on keeping on.

Archived