Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ways To Absorb Iron?

4 posts in this topic

Help! I am still NOT absorbing iron!

I have been gluten free in July 18th 2003. Another recent biopsy reveled that my villi are still flat. I am waiting for the FULL results next week. I am still iron deficient anemic and I have to get iron infusions every 4 months. Do most people's villi grow back normal after 6 months? One year? When? Also, I recently limited my dairy to one serving per day (to see if that was the culprit!). I only eat one to two servings of either chicken, egg whites, or fish per week. The rest of my diet consists of soy, rice, vegtables, fruit, nuts, beans, and lentils. I am really anal and I don't even take communion. I am looking for ANYTHING to try to get my malaborptions issues resolved. The other tests (Fecal fat and Zylose - now the gold standards for if you ARE or ARE not absorbing) showed that I am not absorbing. Let me know if you have any ideas? Has anyone tried this type of diet in addition to the gluten-free diet - the carbohydrate specific diet? I am despite for ways to get my villi to absorb! Thanks, Lisa

Ads by Google:

One good way to help with iron absorbtion is to drink some juice when you have iron containing foods (ex: meat). The vitamin C helps to break the iron down and help it absorb better!!

-Jessica

good luck in figuring this out.

I was also anemic most of my life. I think the iron levels are ok now.

One doctor told me to avoid milk and caffiene within a few hours of taking my iron pills and when eating meals. Apparently the milk and caffiene help to prevent the absorption of iron - great to know if you have hemmachromatosis (iron overload). Drink juice with vitamin C to help absorb iron from meals and from medications.