#1 lisabarella

lisabarella

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 03:50 PM

Help! I am still NOT absorbing iron!
I have been gluten free in July 18th 2003. Another recent biopsy reveled that my villi are still flat. I am waiting for the FULL results next week. I am still iron deficient anemic and I have to get iron infusions every 4 months. Do most people's villi grow back normal after 6 months? One year? When? Also, I recently limited my dairy to one serving per day (to see if that was the culprit!). I only eat one to two servings of either chicken, egg whites, or fish per week. The rest of my diet consists of soy, rice, vegtables, fruit, nuts, beans, and lentils. I am really anal and I don't even take communion. I am looking for ANYTHING to try to get my malaborptions issues resolved. The other tests (Fecal fat and Zylose - now the gold standards for if you ARE or ARE not absorbing) showed that I am not absorbing. Let me know if you have any ideas? Has anyone tried this type of diet in addition to the gluten-free diet - the carbohydrate specific diet? I am despite for ways to get my villi to absorb! Thanks, Lisa
Lisa A. Barella, PhD
Reno, NV
Confirmed Celiac by biopsy - July 18th 2003
4 people in family with Celiac Disease (mom, two brothers, me)
lisabarella at hotmail dot com

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:56 PM

One good way to help with iron absorbtion is to drink some juice when you have iron containing foods (ex: meat). The vitamin C helps to break the iron down and help it absorb better!!

-Jessica
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#3 Thomas

Thomas

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:48 PM

good luck in figuring this out.

#4 hapi2bgf

hapi2bgf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 05:54 AM

I was also anemic most of my life. I think the iron levels are ok now.

One doctor told me to avoid milk and caffiene within a few hours of taking my iron pills and when eating meals. Apparently the milk and caffiene help to prevent the absorption of iron - great to know if you have hemmachromatosis (iron overload). Drink juice with vitamin C to help absorb iron from meals and from medications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: