#1 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:16 PM

Backround,
Muscle biopsy on L quad at age 19 months.
6 weeks ago, pulled that same quad, didn't play soccer for 3-6 days, got better.
4 weeks ago, completely tore the quad muscle.
MRI said don't need surgery,
BUT
they said it might take 2-4 years to heal, and I was hoping to get in on a partial soccer scholarship. That's out of the way I guess, I won't be able to get back up to normal, even if i can play in a year.
Have any of you had good success with healing torn muscles FAST?!?
I want to play, but don't want to aggrivate it more.

thanks
Molly

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:44 PM

Molly, if anyone can overcome this, you can. I'll be praying that you have a speedy recovery and can continue doing the things that you enjoy sooner rather than later.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#3 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:51 PM

Molly, I believe the only way to heal it fast, would be to have the surgery. The non-surgery route is slower, and it may not heal as well (at least that is my honest opinion).

Of course, with surgery, you then have to recover from that as well, which is up to six weeks, not counting the time for the muscle to actually work properly again.

Sorry, but there are no easy answers to this one.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:20 AM

They won't do the surg. on me. I almost do mot respond to anesthesia anymore, (they give me more thatn the 350 lb men, and i am still awake...) and it takes like 6 weeks on crutches, which would mean my birthday/finals on crutches (which would suck) we are having a major swim party on the last day of school at my house. And i go to yosemite the weeekend after school gets out. And then straight to camp!

Also I would have to find a surgeon who my HMO would cover, NOT easy.
Molly

#5 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:22 AM

I come from a non surgical background... about 15 years ago I tore all the ligaments around my left knee. Was told I would never walk on that leg without surgery. Within three months I was walking again... The body is amazing in it's ablility to heal. The first thing to remember is RICE, Rest Ice Compression and Elevation, Rest the muscle whenever you can as often as you can, Ice it often for 10-15 minutes at a time, Compression (wrap in a compression bandage like an Ace wrap) and when you are resting it keep it Elevated above your heart level so that blood flows away from the muscle, this helps with both healing and swelling.

Find a good reputable physical therapist, Ultrasound therapy worked wonders for my leg and it might help you. They did cryo (ice massage) therapy, ultrasound therapy, massage and specific isolated excercises to rebuild the muscle strength once the tissue was healed enough.

#6 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:23 PM

I do ice massages 3 times a day, and was going to PT but it cost 100 $ a week, and that was too much when my parents both don't make THAT much. I put it up and wear an ACE bandage constantl.y
Molly

#7 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:32 PM

well, do what you can!

#8 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:36 PM

Molly,
I am glad you don't need surgery. Just give it time..I know you want to play and I don't blame you but if you push it you may make it worse and make it harder to heal so maybe rubbing it with some kind of lotion or what not may help...not sure but hang in there..it will get better:)
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#9 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:09 PM

If you remember the exercises the physical therapist did on you, you can do them yourself at home. It will help you to recover sooner, and is one of the things you can do for yourself. Just take it slow!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#10 flagbabyds

flagbabyds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:27 PM

i'm going back to PT and i am splitting the cost with my parents because my leg is a lot worse without it. Just hoping to be able to do the San Diego walk without too many problems.
Molly

#11 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:47 PM

I'm so sorry that you have a torn muscle :( but glad to hear that you don't need surgery. I also play soccer :) I think that you should be back in less than 2 years for sure! You may always have trouble with the muscle though. I have a few suggestions:
- stretching a lot, but don't push the area too much
- alternating hot and cold on the area
- wearing one of those tight elastic braces
- physiotherapy
- eat well
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: